Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I meant by tomahawk is friction fit, not wedged but slid up from the bottom of the handle, like a pickaxe or mattock or a Basque axe. Although looking again there seems to be a palm swell on the haft, so maybe not?

What I meant by tomahawk is friction fit, not wedged but slid up from the bottom of the handle, like a pickaxe or mattock or a Basque axe. Although looking again there seems to be a palm swell on the haft, so maybe not?
Thanks Neil. I picked it up and the handle is about 24-30 inch. I think it was pretty straight all the way through, and I think it had a wedge in it. I looked at so many in a short time yesterday, I'm getting them mixed up. I found a pic on BushcraftUK, but couldn't log on to ask questions. Found quite a bit about Elwell, some interesting history. But could find nothing specific to this ax. I did find Arbtalk and registered there. I still have the high bid at $24.

Neil, can you think of any other term to use on a search. It was called a pole ax on Pickclick. Might not be what it's really called. When I think of a "Pole Axe", I'm thinking of a medieval, 8' long, weapon?

I'm on arbtalk. It's not great.. It's not that big a forum community and is mainly professional tree service guys. There's not any axe knowledge there really. Maybe try some of the blade/knife/axe forums? Or some old woodworking tool websites.. timeless tools.co.uk has a 'tool finder' service, might be worth a try.
I'll have a think on names

I'm on arbtalk. It's not great.. It's not that big a forum community and is mainly professional tree service guys. There's not any axe knowledge there really. Maybe try some of the blade/knife/axe forums? Or some old woodworking tool websites.. timeless tools.co.uk has a 'tool finder' service, might be worth a try.
Since I was fourth generation in the tree business, they didn't laugh at me, and I got a few likes.

Bladeforums.com, I'm a member there and it's a pretty good site. The axe is known as a trade ax or export axe fyi.

Joe (Rarefish) and all: That style axe, the Elwell, is similar to what I was seeing in Guatemala 30-40 years ago. I believe they still make them like that in Central and
south America. I didn't pay much attention to them then and did not have occasion to look at axes when I was there a year ago to get a crown put on a tooth. I know a dentist there. Although I did bring back a pickaxe years ago; handle is from there and I forget what the wood is supposed to be.

Back