Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a few people at the shop yesterday , a young couple and an older gent , we were talking and the older chap asked what I did for a hobby ,,, So I showed him a few pics

WrglSEY66ax1rPX7XASV3lohUw2poVOIGD24GHs3pdR1H6mPaicl5_6L8jprrPR4NS3jV7XkA_L62M7bWiT843tN84161d5hmIsVlg3ikb03OP2VxpSk36VxHXeJgBCalrdBrAp7qQdRdXiPquXvl1NGfxv148gieP6FB75CUuiwyOS-TSVTtK-gfCCLqN-ZMReYOAsFdEoJnfkVD2jprNndUQ7lwlNAHkx7Sh7yii29aPPTSRnV6B-3DeMJcmr1N-TIF6iVzVAa-HnUStrV7uMj52P60-nGPLjuE_E1feMb4KrvBGJproWtQ_768xHjFGQXDiZBvrMmrUFhbucWBiq913EEyXMPGfCB6Wx2OsKEysZP6tW81nmcwbSXMh4LTYCX6unQLo03weNbI_896vxrLi3kMii0ubISGmSHFnxCnYTJ6pdg59USI2shejFH8j-kXnw20fdKf_6XlOCuRVvPPXbpFLYURBuM9T8eTrF9r6D6hNEcB2Vpx8FGsiKJpGSP7um5WxvG4qdn-8FXK0KrdHAHz_1xGyn6kaWLcGE9oIJCZTDayv4TqDhjoF3xs_EvhMvSUZWjr5okBdk-KKrNzpHO_9pClZpq7GM=w1165-h874-no

1F9kExIcZkp1W4wQXxar1vYj0_bEOJVa-fAMbL-Lmku1_gKI2w8-0Ie7dB3pvnmVPqxWOHx_v6cG6kmBSsT4f7PaDAaBMPdFGxlc3ekAI1SV5WcdqsXlFrKvL7HOXSmlM8iMagUHsk1vize910OPU94kcKrrlv-YMHQG4Q1BjB1YohSPQWIJ38g6gWX94cIAGDYz4a0YByTWQ91H_YRpU5VuhfIj79RsW2XTpv-DKDC70jqfM-6kmkckm8kEVtzWQMcntOFncwZJSain3mbExxxiQnAuGuPoAjEoiAxoIlsDCDpiJ1cADpdCfMBbz6BdeA9bihvUhmAKntTNp5Y6BzNK0wR6ly23vMdEyg_clqrnymfXsf7e62nhXL58ynX5qAGhd75I1_EBXEVZaSGjrnqBw2gbfVy3B6xazjsIx9AaYK-IsTbE4PtqUit2BYnbUDVsGL7PS9clMYczzx9YLS0hJP5JPo9VI9ZrkDiqC1QG_G_o2O2ey2uUr0yOOMuzIj7rHLKs1O_KaytyqUMwzFn3qR8Gyr9pQmDXTpbYNGquP9X2CJBxcCxFNjMVXRUZmhfnB_4RHOXbJILtrFMLQJ-MHTd6u4Ut6IxE9CE=w1172-h874-no

The older gent was a custom cabinet builder so we talked then the young fella asked about what knives and axes and wood I used so we chatted for quite a bit more .
The young fella said that his dream ax was to get a GB of some model , I let him know that none of the stuff I made needed a GB and to look for some nice vintage head and start with a rehandle .
Then he tells me that he did that with his grandfathers ax that was given to him but was unhappy with the handle that he ordered online from a US handle company and he showed me a pic of his grandfathers ax and the hatchet that his father gave him .
Both were stamped "Genuine Norlund" Hudson Bay , an ax and a hatchet!
SOB !! I don't have any of them lol
I told him to watch Skilcult's channel and that he had 2 fine axes .
He said that he didn't think that he got the hang right , I told him where to find handles here locally and not to worry about a bad hang , just take it apart , get another haft and start again because it takes time and practice to get it right , don't worry it's how we learn .
Told him to call me if he has any questions , he left with a smile .

I met a couple brothers from Nova Scotia many years ago. They were looking for parts for a 62 Nova. I had two cars on display at the show so I got them in free and they kept me full of food and beer all weekend. I think one worked at a Toyota dealer in Halifax. I figure I still owe them a couple cold ones. If I ever get up your way I'll trade a Jersey for a Keith.

inspired by the good work going on here I bought a 41/2 Elwell (good vintage English brand) axe on a 29" haft on the 'bay. arrived today , opened the packaging and ....Oh poo. I knew it was well rusted and a bit mushroomed but there is a clear crack right across one side of the eye, top to bottom of the head. Messaged the seller, told him of the crack and asked for a refund and to give him his due, he was very good, very quick reply and instant refund. Phew. So I have a large rusty paper weight...oh and the haft which I could see was a bit damaged is useless, the head has already been jumped on further several times and its got too short to do any further as I was hoping....so I as well as a rusty paperweight I've a bit of firewood. Oh well...back to the 'baywatch (not the one with the Hoff, the otherone)

inspired by the good work going on here I bought a 41/2 Elwell (good vintage English brand) axe on a 29" haft on the 'bay. arrived today , opened the packaging and ....Oh poo. I knew it was well rusted and a bit mushroomed but there is a clear crack right across one side of the eye, top to bottom of the head. Messaged the seller, told him of the crack and asked for a refund and to give him his due, he was very good, very quick reply and instant refund. Phew. So I have a large rusty paper weight...oh and the haft which I could see was a bit damaged is useless, the head has already been jumped on further several times and its got too short to do any further as I was hoping....so I as well as a rusty paperweight I've a bit of firewood. Oh well...back to the 'baywatch (not the one with the Hoff, the otherone)
Sorry to hear. If you wanted you could try a pin repair like the one head that I recently refurbed.

don't think it is worth repairing. Although just searching again there's a 4 1/2 elwell on original handle listed at a starting price of £60, and an Elwell 4 at £75 ....but to me those are just really hopeful starting prices, not what they are really worth. Most peopel would rather pick up a SAW/HB/GB at that money....or spend the extra to stretch to one of those. Also the crack, starts at the top and front of the eye but runs backwards and is close to the middle of the eye for half the top to bottom height, so I don't see it as pinable. weldable maybe, but nah... I wouldn't trust it, not to pound stuff with a big head like this. I'll keep looking.

Latest posts

Back