Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little throwing ax chops pretty good. This was a boys ax on a hatchet size haft, so it's a little top heavy.
P3Kfp1T.jpg

I'm almost ready to start putting out want ads for axe heads. I checked an antique store here but they wanted ten bucks for a no name head on a broken handle. No thanks LOL.

Unfortunately the place we are staying in now isn't as conducive for throwing shavings as the one we spent January and February. We'll see what I have time for.

I got a bit of time to work on the head @dancan sent to me. Jeez its a hard steel. If I had any decent files that kept cutting for more than a minute it might have been easier but wow, the files that sharpen my fiskars like its cheese, and do a fair job on my stihl maul, got laughed at by this little thing. Eventually I found something in the drawer that was a bit more capable and I got somewhere. First i had to work on the eye which had this weird constriction and widen again shape. it took a while but it is now much closer to straight and I think I've a chance of hanging it ok. Then a skated a file over the edge for a while...first merely polishing it....but then finding a better file and getting the start of an edge. Time to get a handle in now, and I've found an online source of good ones.
Oh yes, I weighed the head, 724g after my filing. I plan on a 19 inch handle, it comes with the right 2"x3/4" eye size.

I was wonder if this monster I found can be reset on its handle? Its a true temper Kelly standard 6.5#er. Mess with it or send it to a new home?View attachment 638732 View attachment 638733

Handle looks serviceable still, if not, a new haft is an easy task. I've reseated worse before. That's an interesting piece!

I'll just leave this here...

Handle looks serviceable still, if not, a new haft is an easy task. I've reseated worse before. That's an interesting piece!

I'll just leave this here...

Thanks for posting that! As obvious as that looks, I never thought of using a firemans ax as a "Come Hither Stick". That's what Dad called a pic-a-roon or hook-a-roon.

Thanks for posting that! As obvious as that looks, I never thought of using a firemans ax as a "Come Hither Stick". That's what Dad called a pic-a-roon or hook-a-roon.

Survival Sherpa is a great channel, lots of axe related and chopping technique content. Just a good ol' Georgia boy.

I was wonder if this monster I found can be reset on its handle? Its a true temper Kelly standard 6.5#er. Mess with it or send it to a new home?View attachment 638732 View attachment 638733
Just a thought, you could refurb it and donate it to one of your local rural volunteer fire departments. They usually don’t have the healthy budgets that the city departments have and would probably appreciate it.

That
Just a thought, you could refurb it and donate it to one of your local rural volunteer fire departments. They usually don’t have the healthy budgets that the city departments have andvwould probably appreciate it.
I gave that some thought then all of a sudden a picture popped up in my pea brain the axe hanging on a fireman's man cave wall.

That

I gave that some thought then all of a sudden a picture popped up in my pea brain the axe hanging on a fireman's man cave wall.
Could happen!

I’ve called around to a few places when I have donated stuff in the past. You will find quickly who wants/appreciates donations and who doesn’t!

If you polished the head and put a real nice oil rubbed handle it might be a cool thing for a fundraiser event as well.

Not saying you want to go in that direction but just a thought.

Personally, that'd be hard for me to let go, but still, that's a very cool idea you got there!

grrrrr, out bid on another 2 3/4 lb Elwell head. ebay uk its nuts...no bargain to be had. All the 2 1/4 lb to 2 3/4 lb Elwell axe heads, after postage, go for about £23-25. Add another £15-18 for a decent handle and well...I can get a brand new Hultafors chopping axe (1200g head) for £46.40 after postage. Hell I could get the 1750g hultafors chopper for a fiver less. Why the flip do people pay so much for a vintage head? I'd have thought a modern Hultafors would be a better axe, or as good.

Back