Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grrrrr, out bid on another 2 3/4 lb Elwell head. ebay uk its nuts...no bargain to be had. All the 2 1/4 lb to 2 3/4 lb Elwell axe heads, after postage, go for about £23-25. Add another £15-18 for a decent handle and well...I can get a brand new Hultafors chopping axe (1200g head) for £46.40 after postage. Hell I could get the 1750g hultafors chopper for a fiver less. Why the flip do people pay so much for a vintage head? I'd have thought a modern Hultafors would be a better axe, or as good.

Patience is virtue, you'll get one eventually. Any chance of going to a farm sale outside of the greater London area?

a boot sale maybe. as you say...patience. although a hultafors is looking attractive right now.

Where else besides Australia can you find an old Elwell? Are they that hard to come by in the UK? I figured that'd be the first place to look. I feel your pain with bidding sites, I only resort to them in desperation...

I'd love to have an old Elwell in my collection, the steel I'm told is of superb quality.

hqdefault.jpg

oh yes. it was compulsory viewing back when i was a kid in the early late 70s/80s. Oddly I'm just watching karate kid on tv....the reboot though....not as good as the original....'wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off'

Oh there's plenty of them... a 2 1/2 lb )give or take) comes up on ebay every couple of days or so, they just all sell at £23-25. Its a popular weight i guess, the 4lb and 6 lb heads go for a bit less.

I'm putting my positive energy out there for you, I believe you'll find the one in your desired weight. Seems like a good weight, no wonder they're so dear. I prefer my lighter axes for general work, much easier and nimble to wield.

I'd have thought you want to split that hickory down into blanks asap. I could be wrong but I thought it is far less likely to crack as it dries if the blanks are smaller, although smaller makes it more likely to warp ...so leave enough material to trim away and leave a straight handle. IIRC SKilcult has a piece on it.

I've got a gallon of Anchor Seal if you want to try some.

I might take you up on that, not sure how long it'll be until I can cut them down to boards.

I'd have thought you want to split that hickory down into blanks asap. I could be wrong but I thought it is far less likely to crack as it dries if the blanks are smaller, although smaller makes it more likely to warp ...so leave enough material to trim away and leave a straight handle. IIRC SKilcult has a piece on it.

You're mostly right, but the whole point of sealing of the end grain is to prevent that. I didn't have any lard or grease, so I just used a drying oil. Most woodworkers I know preserve logs of desired wood by sealing the end grain with wax until it's time to have them sawn and then dried.

Back