Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've rescued a couple axes, so here are my favorites:

I did not know what I had when I found it, until I cleaned it up and realized I had stumbled upon the Forest Services' most coveted axe. The thing was in a collapsed, abandoned barn, buried in the dirt with a splintered handle and mauled eye. Had to grind out busted in section of the eye, and weld it back up. I watched the HAZ and kept it cool enough. Cleaned up and polished up pretty nicely.

IMG_1603.JPG IMG_1616.JPG
Here it is with a newer handle - old one developed a split. Pictured with it are two railway adzes, one from the B&M Railroad in New England (made by Husqvarna actually), the other from somewhere in South Dakota (Unknown mfr, visible & strange touchmark). These both required a fair amount of work, but I had them shaving pine in no time.
IMG_1538.JPG

Last but not least, I ran across a double-bit True Temper / Kelly Perfect for $20 the other week, and just had to scoop it up. Handle is in serviceable condition, bit needed some minor restoration and sharpening. This one, I did a restoration video on, and you can find that here:

I like old tools, and restoring them to their full glory. Just my bit to add to the thread. Feel free to axe questions. I can handle just about anything. I won't lose my temper. Dare I go on?

Well i finally got that nice double blade in my hands dear wife had held it back for my birthday gift oh bless..
Its got 100 years of tarnish and i need find a straight shaft big eye handle and i got the learn the black art off how to fit so im testing and honing my craft on old bit of hickory axe wood before i source a proper handle.

This should make a sweet thowin axe for next years GTG competition

Q what the best method tools and cleaner to vanquishing tarnish and getting a shine to steel.

thumbnail_IMG_20180326_192019.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20180326_203222.jpg

If you just want to polish it to an almost shiney chrome surface start with an 80 grit flap disc on an angle grinder. That's what I used on my little Plumb throwing ax. Didn't take off too much metal, and next thing you know, I could see my reflexion in it. But, I consider restoring an ax to putting it back in original condition, blued, painted, red, black, whatever. I call my Plumb a refinish, not restored. I Browned it to be different, and like the finish, Joe.

I did not know what I had when I found it, until I cleaned it up and realized I had stumbled upon the Forest Services' most coveted axe. The thing was in a collapsed, abandoned barn, buried in the dirt with a splintered handle and mauled eye. Had to grind out busted in section of the eye, and weld it back up. I watched the HAZ and kept it cool enough. Cleaned up and polished up pretty nicely.

View attachment 642434 View attachment 642435
Here it is with a newer handle - old one developed a split. Pictured with it are two railway adzes, one from the B&M Railroad in New England (made by Husqvarna actually), the other from somewhere in South Dakota (Unknown mfr, visible & strange touchmark). These both required a fair amount of work, but I had them shaving pine in no time.
View attachment 642436

Last but not least, I ran across a double-bit True Temper / Kelly Perfect for $20 the other week, and just had to scoop it up. Handle is in serviceable condition, bit needed some minor restoration and sharpening. This one, I did a restoration video on, and you can find that here:

I like old tools, and restoring them to their full glory. Just my bit to add to the thread. Feel free to axe questions. I can handle just about anything. I won't lose my temper. Dare I go on?

Some people have said that I can be a pain in the adze.

078.JPG 078.JPG 073.JPG

Found this at an estate sale. Real heartbreaker that it has that big bite taken out of it. I actually chopped a root out of the ground with it Sunday and it cuts well in this condition. I'll clean it up a little and hopefully a good handle comes along cheap for it. If not I may just make a wall hanger out of it.

Also got a little Plumb hatchet head. I'm guessing this was from a batch that was sold at Sears, Montgomery Wards, or at a hardware chain. It has that unfinished appearance to it. The nail puller is notched in but was never finished. I showed it next to my personal hatchet. I may just Ebay this because I really don't need any more hatchets.006.JPG 002.JPG

Also got a little Plumb hatchet head. I'm guessing this was from a batch that was sold at Sears, Montgomery Wards, or at a hardware chain. It has that unfinished appearance to it. The nail puller is notched in but was never finished. I showed it next to my personal hatchet. I may just Ebay this because I really don't need any more hatchets.View attachment 642662 View attachment 642663
Oh heck just put a handle in it an put under the truck seat [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Also got a little Plumb hatchet head. I'm guessing this was from a batch that was sold at Sears, Montgomery Wards, or at a hardware chain. It has that unfinished appearance to it. The nail puller is notched in but was never finished. I showed it next to my personal hatchet. I may just Ebay this because I really don't need any more hatchets.View attachment 642662 View attachment 642663
I have several of those "carpenters hatchets" I don't really collect them, but people keep giving them to me. A while back some one asked if the deep "V" between the nail puller and the handle served a purpose. Recently my BIL was over, looking at all of my junk. He said when he was roofing they used that deep "V" for cutting Shingles. He said if you notice it does have an edge, so it's not just to make it easy to fit the handle, Joe.

Here's my first resto for 2018 , my 10$ 3lb Hults Bruks .

pJPuYmzMdZLCD1eRjvzn5ZK_0Yj0dwfr4Lhb6CQBI5Hi2gUF_q-sX-6KYo7yBJ8CJlo5OOX0T8O2ARd_o2J3lANslzMSDQ6kvx7RXUd4T_yLw6y24cckKneLtMBSxCIEKYhZenhOxwaK8jWvycJ75Oa_4_vxVz3KgS1w0l1EwuIqCjBHAxsR-Jgx6BrJbNhVwXdKK2TV5_3Ye2bEEGP8h0ImqANM3vhw0gAdSfPDi99WLAvCVNwSynFmhc2LmREd2cs_kr5xVE-U-bG-WguGfbrSYTGu59mdZHBFhnEiAGdtFogxU6xt3F5HDFARBWw3hhEhoNJgvXsS_FItGznRmQwjIpT4rIW9q-0XJ3Kw9KpqRKs3Qxc9OZaSxOGSict2nUh04dxwZYSHIUIzK5xnevPePsZ2h06L7AiOQw5O02qi40MdShgNk5GAL0sqy98o1AtnIlUPPUkH-TtKxH91i8FzTESQvGYKWAOTX3DUNWe5c7WxtXgxPdEh4ksLCD2RhPAB3phd10Ip97y1H3Xpd-jffZIPcn65J5WWl65G8GPyUjAAuhQCIKKUy5Nu976NUSnd1uKD8STqPPl9os1z8CLUX9kJzvDBdGgXlfa5EIBZLU_3NCD7kkoJG4cnTwHj6nlccyUY-K9p0bOCFhgE_WWmTsLSuWPvxg=w1920-h783-no

The haft is in good shape so I'm gonna clean off the varnish and rehang the head as long as I can get the epoxy wedge out .

wPVnLp7HbeXaZziL6luZVkfZG6JjP0pT-yAJqTFAZQlM_MBGcIBBQjfIIeibgEfobo05zwtn9n2xKODN5-V8szp_ZxVOitWxoqk-4Lipb_JnXG29_GKGmpbnkEtYmESUBRQj8h-XiItRTxdtwH7EhpppDuh93zPN0BoaHG6IwdPlr5iQkLeD2N8Qwt5p2SJfUkOQlhNlg8o2-aCuwihUebnHjHE0oE_b3TrU5hSyr9nPCgGoSlRGxSs8hzyDr6FuvmMnFmZ9OCJTO2vj7etWeqmag8VMHLBjq_4Zd_IVQD8rFvovNzhyQ9oQGSzA8G2vwn86DnZLLLJYfLcciaub0YXJsES4gwkTr2ZVgZKeYfFrmAWzZns6q0wxaz6Ie-KLyXFk52nHFC9wOKIIMt0MSjLmOOlFdrBEOwi9XzRvEEZlFK93y2y04uI8nj2h5Hu9iJQZpqKTTxPxvWlitWY1IoN1PmCJad2AAWQ6sCuusn7fq93m4jZlWntaYMSjOJfXaHHrUxokzZMUriNDwCqpqzmq22MmVB5D1Z1hxHU6m5rPCyHQqwxar2p_zCoYAKRd155g4c5glWzNRlf0Ujba6aacGOwfDYQijgvyZEu1-P34R2gObkKnLXj4yJx3IWc86tzdhDYwEKSIYbXlgpHC3TTPwLusp4jmSA=w1663-h935-no

I finally got back to the HB

20180331_184557_HDR.jpg

20180331_184552_HDR.jpg

20180331_184615_HDR.jpg

20180331_184607_HDR.jpg

20180331_184622_HDR.jpg

20180331_184548_HDR.jpg

Originally 36" , once I got the 36" VB Swinger haft set It ended up at 34" .
Now to clean the head and soak the haft in my linseed oil mix .

View attachment 642434 View attachment 642435
View attachment 642436

Every time I go past this pic I want to hit the like button again. The one I really like is the single with the two adzes, Joe.

Cheers Dan. Given my continued difficulty in picking up either an Elwell or Brades (decent English makes) or a HB or saw, of 2 1/2 or so lbs for a very sensible amount to restore, I'm looking at a new hultafors agdor 1200g chopping axe. I suspect the head may be ok but they probably save a bit on the handle and handle fit, but I guess I wouldn't mind refitting the handle. I'll try and be patient a little longer though

Handle was loose on this small Noland camp axe so to the work bench it went. 3 metal bastid wedges were tough to get out but in the end they gave. Dropped the head about a half inch and put a walnut wedge in for some color. Enjoy [emoji38]
e870bfcfc21915b15d0c0b5f99d05112.jpg
86100ed88dce0a1fa2ecf69b5994e281.jpg
5f6d40304d5916c20e82279eb83026c5.jpg
aacf0cf964191dac2c4cc9e065ebc226.jpg
60928c62ba7f752888dc9d7799b35371.jpg
2886b1232abc27226c366b5f80126b5b.jpg
7a3deffffca8e0ee4bfb464ab3a075a5.jpg

Woo whoo, inbound! I finally picked up a nice Elwell 2 3/4 lb axe on ebay. Paid a bit more than i'd have liked but the head looks almost immaculate, handle looks good and is described as good, so as long as there are no hidden flaws that come to light when it arrives then I don't mind. I paid just a pound or so less than I could have got a new hultafors hy10 1200g chopping axe for, but the Elwell will be as good or better. Although the head shouldn't need any work I think it will still class as a restoration...sort of... fairly sure from the photos that the head is loose so I'll be reseating it on the handle. We shall see what its like when it arrives but I suspect I'll be carefully removing the old wedge (might plunge cut it out with the multitool, anybody tried that? I think it might be easier and do less damage to the handle kerf), tidy the handle and drop the head down just a quarter or half an inch then rewedge it. I'll stick an extra coat of BLO on the handle too. Hope the weather warms up, I put a maintenance coat of BLO on my pickaroon last week and its still wet to touch now.

Broke the bank on these fellas. Auctioneer said high bid gets choice, and can take as many items he wants at that price. There were rakes, brooms, cant hooks, post hole diggers. The first guy went to $10 and took a post hole digger. Next round got to $9 and that guy said he'd take 4 items, I was so mad I could spit. Then he took two old leaf rakes and two push brooms. A couple more rounds got to $9 dollars and I was sure someone was gonna get at least one or two axes. Next round I had to bid all the way up to $3 dollars, and took all four axes. The one on the left is a Paper Label Collins, with Collins stamped in the steel too. The one on the right says Forged Steel, but I haven't found a makers name or mark yet. The two in the middle are no name, Joe.
fcwEBrJ.jpg

Broke the bank on these fellas. Auctioneer said high bid gets choice, and can take as many items he wants at that price. There were rakes, brooms, cant hooks, post hole diggers. The first guy went to $10 and took a post hole digger. Next round got to $9 and that guy said he'd take 4 items, I was so mad I could spit. Then he took two old leaf rakes and two push brooms. A couple more rounds got to $9 dollars and I was sure someone was gonna get at least one or two axes. Next round I had to bid all the way up to $3 dollars, and took all four axes. The one on the left is a Paper Label Collins, with Collins stamped in the steel too. The one on the right says Forged Steel, but I haven't found a makers name or mark yet. The two in the middle are no name, Joe.
fcwEBrJ.jpg
An 2 jerseys to boot. Good score buddy

Latest posts

Back