Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the axe head. A 3lb’er...?

Not so sure about the burned grooves but to each his own right...[emoji1303][emoji41]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Thanks, 5# Plumb. Pretty ugly grooving. In hindsight, I should have ordered a rafting handle from Madsen's which has a "knob" on the end. Swinging a 5# head on a tapered handle, I need something to increase the grip. Last handle, I cut the grip. It wasn't pretty either but it didn't standout as much. If this didn't see wet weather, I would likely have wrapped it with a leather strip.

Ron

I've been hunting for a good heavy rafting pattern with hardened poll for a long time now. Can find on eBay for an exorbitant price, but nah...

eBay prices are high. It took me months of daily searching to find a nice specimen of any brand affordable and they have gone up since then. I actually found two 5# Plumbs. Gave one to a logger who used to post on AS. I would love to find a nice 4# as I think it would make a better compromise of an axe and a wedge pounder. The 5# ones are great falling wedge pounders but a little much for me as an axe.

Ron

I've been hunting for a good heavy rafting pattern with hardened poll for a long time now. Can find on eBay for an exorbitant price, but nah...
I thought this post was Ron's and was getting ready to quote it, and say Multifacted has been looking for one for a long time. OOPs. Hope you find one some day.

Thanks, 5# Plumb. Pretty ugly grooving. In hindsight, I should have ordered a rafting handle from Madsen's which has a "knob" on the end. Swinging a 5# head on a tapered handle, I need something to increase the grip. Last handle, I cut the grip. It wasn't pretty either but it didn't standout as much. If this didn't see wet weather, I would likely have wrapped it with a leather strip.

Ron

If you’re not so concerned with looks and you’re looking for a bit more grip at the end of the handle try some hockey tape.

Twist a piece of the tape up into a rope and wind around with about a 1 inch gap between the windings. And then Cover it with hockey tape. Provides EXCELLENT grip but it is not a permanent change to the handle.

I did it on the D handle I added to my 3120 and it made an amazing difference.

Well.... Time to get a handle on things[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Bad joke.

Found a few with grain going the proper direction or pretty darn close to it

798557776601b4e6fbcfd2d7aa9428ac.jpg

Well.... Time to get a handle on things[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Bad joke.

Found a few with grain going the proper direction or pretty darn close to it

798557776601b4e6fbcfd2d7aa9428ac.jpg

Actually, you need to get the hang of it!

When you get it right, a perfect fit for hanging an axe is where the phrase comes from. Takes some practice, but if you don't rush it your first time you'll get a good fit. Definitely watch an Ax to Grind video, great starting point if you haven't already watched it.

I thought this post was Ron's and was getting ready to quote it, and say Multifacted has been looking for one for a long time. OOPs. Hope you find one some day.

Yep, the Rafting score is my White Whale Axe ... Such cool history behind the pattern, and very capable for a multitude of uses.

Actually, you need to get the hang of it!

When you get it right, a perfect fit for hanging an axe is where the phrase comes from. Takes some practice, but if you don't rush it your first time you'll get a good fit. Definitely watch an Ax to Grind video, great starting point if you haven't already watched it.

I did watch it.[emoji1303][emoji1303].

So I assume since this is an axe thread you guys are also fans of knives. This I am assuming is a nice knife?

back when Marbles actually made real knives in Michigan. Anyone know anything about something like this?

It was a wedding gift. 9 years ago.......dang.....its been 9 years now. [emoji15]
86353f5ac7183b0801fc0c4016220d2e.plist
567cc628026131064d71a7d4f56eb8b8.plist

So I assume since this is an axe thread you guys are also fans of knives. This I am assuming is a nice knife?

back when Marbles actually made real knives in Michigan. Anyone know anything about something like this?

It was a wedding gift. 9 years ago.......dang.....its been 9 years now. [emoji15]
86353f5ac7183b0801fc0c4016220d2e.plist
567cc628026131064d71a7d4f56eb8b8.plist

Oh my ,,,,

Well , lets just say, you know, just send it up here so I can have a closer look .
PO Box ....
And I'll trade you a nice Bark River ;)

I use it ALL the time. Just very carefully. Only on things that i KNOW it can not get hurt.

Maybe i should stop.

If you’re not so concerned with looks and you’re looking for a bit more grip at the end of the handle try some hockey tape.

Twist a piece of the tape up into a rope and wind around with about a 1 inch gap between the windings. And then Cover it with hockey tape. Provides EXCELLENT grip but it is not a permanent change to the handle.

I did it on the D handle I added to my 3120 and it made an amazing difference.

There might be a pro team in Tennessee, but none of the rest of us have a hockey stick or tape. Good hockey sticks are made of ash, hickory or what?

Ron

I use it ALL the time. Just very carefully. Only on things that i KNOW it can not get hurt.

Maybe i should stop.

What's it worth to you if you don't use it and it sits in a drawer ?
Use it and enjoy it , it's a great design , just don't abuse or loose it Lol

Latest posts

Back