Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rummaged around one of the old barns today and found this "TT Kelly Works Perfect" axe head. It's a little rough, has a chip or 2 and some mushrooming on the bottom of the poll (somehow), but I'm hoping it'll clean up ok. Never had an axe with cheeks before and it feels lighter than my others, are they more fragile?
Sorry the picture didn't come out the best.

Nice axe by the way

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was at my Fathers compound today and came across some interesting axe heads. The first one I grabbed needed some pb blaster and a rag to make out the marks on the head. S A W logo 3 1/2 pound which I believe is an old Wetterlings. The next was an old Atco 2 1/4 from west Germany. The last was a small unmarked double bit. The poll on the wetterlings looks unused but it does have a chip in the cutting edge that will need work. The Atco poll will need attention and a little work on the cutting edge. It was a good day for a guy that likes rusty old axes.

Attachments

• IMG_1890.JPG
    IMG_1890.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
I've noticed my x27, which has a silver head, has recently developed a blackening. I've seen it before on my stihl maul. i've been splitting oak and reckon the tannic acids in the sap have stained it...just like how iron nails in oak cause a black stain in the wood. this set me thinking....anyone tried something like an 'oak saw chip broth bath' to clean and stain an axe head? i have some oak in need of bucking up, so may give it ago.

I've noticed my x27, which has a silver head, has recently developed a blackening. I've seen it before on my stihl maul. i've been splitting oak and reckon the tannic acids in the sap have stained it...just like how iron nails in oak cause a black stain in the wood. this set me thinking....anyone tried something like an 'oak saw chip broth bath' to clean and stain an axe head? i have some oak in need of bucking up, so may give it ago.
When we were kids we would boil our new traps in Walnut hulls, it made them black. Not sure if that heat would harm a axe or not.

My cousin bought a box lot of stuff at an auction for a buck, this little Plumb was in the bottom.
oqnlXaX.jpg

16YX67q.jpg

I passed on this TT/Kelly Perfect. The sale was in the first barn and I had to go, the ax was in the third barn and scheduled to start at 4PM. The pics don't look that bad, but if you put a straight edge on the poll, you could slide a penny under it in the middle. Shame someone used it as a wedge.
L6NxFlg.jpg

VTPMwRL.jpg

I keep looking at those pics thinking I should have stayed and got it. But the back of that poll looked like a horseshoe! It looked like someone drove it with an 8 pound maul dead center, and they had a good eye, because the dent was almost perfectly centered.

I had to post that for you. If I didn't have a pot of soup on the stove I would have stayed, had other stuff to do also. We have a big farm auction coming up in 3 weeks, I'll keep an eye open.
If any you guys come across a jersey head to pawn off, just let me know [emoji38]

My cousin bought a box lot of stuff at an auction for a buck, this little Plumb was in the bottom.
oqnlXaX.jpg

16YX67q.jpg
Joe, is that a traditional grind on that carpenters hatchet? It looks more like a grind for a broad axe but wasn't sure if they did them differently back in the day. All of the carpenters hatchets I have seen were sharpened like the one you had in your basement.

Steve, I really don't know. This is a little hatchet and it looks to me to have been ground back quite a bit. Not sure what it looked like new. It's kind of hard to see, but the hammer is only about as big as my thumb. I'm heading out right now to see how it throws. :)

Steve, I really don't know. This is a little hatchet and it looks to me to have been ground back quite a bit. Not sure what it looked like new. It's kind of hard to see, but the hammer is only about as big as my thumb. I'm heading out right now to see how it throws. :)
Have fun!

My wife told me one of her friends is doing axe throwing for her birthday at a bar up by Philly. Didn't know that such a passtime was offered for fee to potentially drunk people.

Back