Back in the saw game. Got me a homie super xl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csx7006

BNSF Amarillo Division Railfan
Reaction score
Hello. I have gotten back in the saw game. I won a 90's model homelite super xl. Is there any mods that i can do to have higher cc's? I need it to pull a 28 in bar. I know that the max bar is 24. Who knows someone that i can get the required mods done?

A Homelite Super XL is a pretty formidable saw in it's own right. It's chassis and predecessors were produced clear back in the early 60s til sometime in the 90s.

Something has to be said for that!

There isn't a whole lot more you can get out of em, they were built long before EPA restrictions on such things and run wide open from the factory.

Running a 24 on it with full comp chain is already at it's upper limit of what you need it to do. Keep in mind that you can cut from both sides, therefore with a 24 you can effectively cut 48 inch diameter wood with it.

If you must go 28 I would suggest some semi-skip or skip chain.

Chris

I have bought ..used..and sold many Super xl's and xl-12's . Great old saws . I had most of them with a 20 inch bar...and for the hardwoods I get into up here......that was about all those saws could do...in a respectable manner !
Id use a 20 inch and under bar on yours and enjoy the crap out of it !! If you need something that can handle a bigger bar......id hold out for some bigger cc's .

I have used a super XL a lot in my early days with a 24" bar and Carlton, when they were still Carlton, chain. Don't get too aggressive on the rakers and keep your cutters sharp.

The motor has a lot of torque and low end power as it is a reed valve design. Where newer saws will bog with a 24" bar the XL will keep on going just not as fast as newer 60cc saws when they do have the revs up.

Wear a good pair of gloves as the lack of any AV will make thick cuts and long days bucking hard on the hands.

Also , very reliable, mine still runs ( a 71 I think) and the carb and motor have never been apart. It has also never eaten any E10 or MBTE gas........ I have a carb kit I got when local dealer dropped Homelite, but just never needed it. Has also survived several runins with tress falling on it......

Has anyone done any mods on theirs?

Not I . A lot of the ones I have had.... had the open exhaust stack ....so no muffler mod possibility on those ! Not sure about porting and such..

There is not much to do in mod a XL12, a 28in bar a to much, and if you plan on doing a lot of cutting with it plan on having your hands go numb. I have one, Ive had it for 35 years and when I was young I cut a lot of wood with it. I had it out this spring and ran it about 3 hr. And my hands was numb lol. I keep the saw in case the zombie's come. Because as sure as the sun will rise my xl12 will start;)

Well i dont see any of the old stack mufflers on there. I know that it will also be my zombie saw.

Seriously, all the mods/porting that can possibly be done to a SXL couldn't make it pull 28" with much authority.
They are one of my favorite saws, but 20" is about max. Like Duke mentioned, if you ran full skip chain, it's possible to make the occasional cut with a 28" bar.
Just let it take it's time... don't lean on it. Use light hands and let it do it's thing.

Well i dont see any of the old stack mufflers on there. I know that it will also be my zombie saw.
Then it will at least benefit a little from a muffler mod . Which will be super easy ! Sounds like you are heck bent on doing something with it...so there you go :)

Latest posts

Back