Back Injuries Suck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after a lifetime of falls and abuse I think my days of being a human skidder in the woods through 1-2 feet of snow are nearing an end. a few weeks back I was cutting wood at my in laws and hauling oak out of a large ravine and spending more time sitting on the tailgate sucking wind than hauling wood. I told my father in law, now I know what middle aged means your not old but your sure not young either. but hopefully I'll be cutting wood for years to come

Work on getting better first, then the saws. I'm lucky. Just broke a vertebra in a horse accident at a young age, hasn't bothered since. I will tell how I threw my neck out in the interests of humor. Nah, I think not. Get better. :)

Work on getting better first, then the saws. I'm lucky. Just broke a vertebra in a horse accident at a young age, hasn't bothered since. I will tell how I threw my neck out in the interests of humor. Nah, I think not. Get better. :)

Ah, c'mon...if you tell one I'll tell one.

Hey, Gary...I ain't saying anything til Slowp does but I can empathize, brother. Had back surgery in 89...still not perfect but better than it was before. Hang in there. :cheers:

You go first. I have had a few muscle things in the back and the cure that lasted a few years was going on fire tours and sleeping on the ground or in the dirt for a few weeks. I whined a lot though. That was my job...Crew Whiner.

Sorry you're having some troubles with the old back , Gary.

I hope you get back to 100% real soon. :cheers:

I feel for you man, I've got a bulging disc in my lower back that causes my left hip to ache like a bit*h at times, it comes and goes and I'm just living with it for the time being. Like others have said, people just don't understand how miserable back problems are until they've experienced it themselves.

Hope you get to feeling better real soon! It will probably help if you lay off lifting 500 lb saws LOL

Gary, sorry to hear it....what exactly is the issue? Do everything you can to strengthen those trunk muscles! Physical therapy can really do wonders.... and I don't want to get all swami on you, but have you ever tried yoga? I know I'm going to catch it because most folks don't think its very manly, but after about five years of loading cargo in cramped airplanes I was in pain all the time.... I took up yoga and the flexibility, strength and pain reduction has been huge. When I get busy and slack off on the yoga I can feel things back there going south.... I blew it off for about two months at the end of last year (just got lazy) and Christmas day.. whamo!! Did it cleaning out the wood box... I had to crawl into the house on all fours and I couldn't even stand/walk to get to the bathroom, I had to crawl.. slowly. In a week and a half, I could get around on crutches, then a few days after that I was hobbling on my own.

Needless to say, I'm going to do everything I can so THAT doesn't happen again. For a while there, I thought the injury was permanent.

Last edited:
Sucks to hear your back is holding you back from doing something you love. I am lucky to have a good back but my knee has been real bad this winter. I have been able to cut wood, but the damn thing popped out last night and today its grapefruit sized.:angry:

I hope you get back to speed buddy, when your body wont let you do the things you are used to doing it sucks

I feel for you man, I've got a bulging disc in my lower back that causes my left hip to ache like a bit*h at times, it comes and goes and I'm just living with it for the time being. Like others have said, people just don't understand how miserable back problems are until they've experienced it themselves.

Hope you get to feeling better real soon! It will probably help if you lay off lifting 500 lb saws LOL

Exactly the same for me, form a truck accident last November. My left hip hurts somthing feirce.
Gary, hope you get better.

Last edited:
Gary,

Bummer about your back.

I screwed my back up about 25 yrs ago and it took years to get to where I was pain free. Now life is catching up to me and if I get careles wrestling very large blocks of wood I can can (and do) torque it again.

Like many have said, the right back excerises can be very helpful and were key for me. Course you have to recover to that point first.

Hang in there.

Gary sorry to hear this......Hope it works out for ya......Try to skip surgery if at all possible........

Sex can cure most things........except a bad back....:D :D

My back is good but my knees and hips are shot. Seems like we are all prone to abusing our bodies.

I hope your back heals fast, Gary. I've been lucky during my 55 years and have only had a couple of muscle pulls in my back, but those were enough to let me know how bad a bad back can screw up your whole life.

Take care of yourself, man!

take it easy there Gary...just think of all the oil threads you will be able to clear up LOL

It really sucks when you are 17 and the lower half of my body is bout shot. My arches in my feet are bad enough to need orthadics or what ever they're called-if i dont have them in, I will have my have feet so sore i cant walk. Also my heals will bruise really easy for some reason, especially if i hit the ground too hard when gettin off a tractor or out of the skid steer. In 9th grade i got a distal fracture on my left femur playin football-doctor said it wasnt close to my growth plates...BS...now my leg is 1/4" too short and i can tell you if it is goin to rain in the next 12, 24, or 48 hours by which leg hurts-right knee hurts for no reason. that shortness in my leg is has caused my left hip to come out of place 6 times in one week b4 I started wearing a foam pad in the shoe to compensate the differnce. my hips comin out some many times has resulted in them comin out very easily and my lower back to get very sore when bending over something (for example changing fuel pump in a truck that is fairly high) or pickin a lot of wood blocks up off the ground.

prolly sounds like im bit#ching, prolly am but just sayin that havin this crap happen when young reallllllyyyyy sucks:censored:

what type of exercises do you guys do to help strenghten the lower back??

Think Positive

Garry , so sorry to hear you're experiencing pain . As you've read , there are lot's of us out here that have been where you are right now . I won't bore you or others with any my story but would like to say that often these troubles will pass . At times it may seem like things will never be as they were for you but you will probably come through this and be as strong as ever . It just takes time .

I firmly believe everything happens for a reason and perhaps this was your call to slow down a little bit . Who knows , this bump in your life may have changed your path so as to avoid something more devastating (not to minimize your discomfort) . With time and care this will pass and make you a stronger person than ever .

If you have to spend a little more time in your shop and on these pages that is a good thing for us . Your posts are always intelligent and positive and bring us alot of smiles . Truth is , won't be long and you'll be grumbling about having to load up all your gear and head off to some competion again . Take good care and let time heal you .

I know where you are coming from. I blew my back up falling off of a YZ250 in the woods. 10 years later I still feel it. Working in a mining machinery rebuild shop I have to be careful with what and how I lift. Give it time.

Are you still here for the beer? :cheers:

Latest posts

Back