Back Injuries Suck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
take it easy there Gary...just think of all the oil threads you will be able to clear up LOL

It really sucks when you are 17 and the lower half of my body is bout shot. My arches in my feet are bad enough to need orthadics or what ever they're called-if i dont have them in, I will have my have feet so sore i cant walk. Also my heals will bruise really easy for some reason, especially if i hit the ground too hard when gettin off a tractor or out of the skid steer. In 9th grade i got a distal fracture on my left femur playin football-doctor said it wasnt close to my growth plates...BS...now my leg is 1/4" too short and i can tell you if it is goin to rain in the next 12, 24, or 48 hours by which leg hurts-right knee hurts for no reason. that shortness in my leg is has caused my left hip to come out of place 6 times in one week b4 I started wearing a foam pad in the shoe to compensate the differnce. my hips comin out some many times has resulted in them comin out very easily and my lower back to get very sore when bending over something (for example changing fuel pump in a truck that is fairly high) or pickin a lot of wood blocks up off the ground.

prolly sounds like im bit#ching, prolly am but just sayin that havin this crap happen when young reallllllyyyyy sucks:censored:

what type of exercises do you guys do to help strenghten the lower back??

You are very young to experience this grief..... too young . I cannot tell you what exercises you need but I can suggest to watch your posture at all times . Avoid tasks you described such as stooping over a low hood changing pumps or plugs or whatever . You need to know that no-one here can really know what will work for you so you should try to seek out some professional opinions . Maintaining good posture at all times and giving your back a chance to limber up early in the day can't hurt . Imo you need to address this pain now as you are so young . Take care .

Sorry to hear about your injuries Gary. I have self inflicted injuries from a lifetime of hard living but usually have made a comeback by just doing everything possible to keep doing the things I like. I work hard at physical fitness keeping all muscles strong,go for physiotheraphy from accredited personell and they really stress strong back and stomach muscles and good posture. Stay strong and speedy recovery.
Pioneerguy600

Gary,
Hang in there friend, I am truly sympathetic with your situation. I dont know how much physical pain you're experiencing, but I have experienced the frustraton of wanting to, but not physically able to . It has been maddening for me! I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis last june and it's been an interesting ride since then. I've dealt with lower back pain similar to what windthrown described (degenerative disc disease) and I will tell you I'd rather be dealing with my current situation than the pain I experienced with that at first. Hang in there and take care of yourself pal.

Gary,
I've read alot and learned alot from your posts since I joined this forum. I wish the best for you and hope you make a full recovery soon.

Well fellas, and ladies...

I sustained a non saw/wood/work related back injury last year in October. Needless to say, my back is a mess... with tha being said...

I will no longer be competing in the Unlimited Hot Saw class with my V-8 (The Termite) at the Logging Shows here in Washington State. I will try to get out and attend to root on my fellow competitors... but I will be sidelined. I had thought about building a Stihl 084 to compete with... but my back won't even handle that. It's gonna take awhile for the healin' to be over to get back in the game. So maybe next year I can get on that 084... ;)

The saw will be run by 2 other gents from Buckley, WA this year... so if you attend... wish them luck. ;)

Anyways... I'm pretty much workin' on saws more than I am usin' them nowadays... hence the HL rebuild thread. So you can expect to see some more threads like that on other carbs and saw related items to come. I've got a lot of "irons in the fire" so to speak... so I will get more up when I can...

I just enjoy hangin' out and playin' on the forums... I ain't goin' nowhere... just not gonna be liftin' 500 pound V-8 saws anytime soon... :laugh:

Later!

Gary

Look into sports medicine using weight training. I had really bad back problem in 1986 from auto accident and over exercise. For 2 years, I cannot even stand for 5 minutes. I went through all the non invasive treatments and none help. Finally the doctor put me on weight training. I have got better since then. Now I have been going to Gold's gym 3 time a week, one hour each. And I can get back to my martial arts, and doing heavy bag work.

Resting is not the way. Unless it is absolutely necessary, don't do any surgery. exercise, stratching is the best way. Go easy first and slowly get into it. Get a professional trainer that know injury. I can't exactly tell you over the post. You have to look into it.

Good luck. I know what you are going through. I don't think people really recover from chronic back injury, just learn to live with it and function normally.

Wish ya the best Gary, take care of that back. Sounds like you need one of those petite, dark haired, small-footed back walkers if you know what I mean...............

Your contributions here are excellent, we'll take all the carb threads you care to throw at us.:rock: :rockn:

Sorry to hear about your back problems.

I had back problems for more than 12 years including 3 occasions when it was so painful I couldn't lie in bed and I couldn't get up. I just suffered in every position. In 12 years , I was never without any pain.After X raying me, my physician told me I had thin discs at L4/L5. He could no longer help me .

I finally decided to try chiropractic treatments. After seeing 4 different chiropractors who didn't help much ( they used the "wrestling method"), I was referred to one by my neighbor who used the "activator method". Had my neighbor told me what this method was , I would not have gone , and I'll be the first to admit that it looks like quackery.

Activator method uses a spring loaded piston and gives you a LIGHT tap when the doctor pulls the trigger. At about 10-20 taps per session ( in the right places) he made the pain disappear in 5 sessions. I was pain free for 2 years , then I had to go back to him for 3 more sessions.

During the 12 years that I suffer, I could not walk more than a 1/4 mile. I drove from one store to the next in the same shopping mall, never went for walks, could not walk fast to cross a street. Now I walk several miles a day. I can run without feeling back pain when I land.

I still have to be careful how I pick up heavy objects. When I have a fever from flu, I feel pain in my back. (all the weaknesses in my body seem to resurface when I have a fever).

That's all the treatments he gave me for my back. I've been pain free for 5 years now. He cured my shoulder pain but it comes back yearly.

My wife's back was also fixed by him.

I don't know about your situation, but I would highly recommend at least a consultation with an Activator trained chiropractor ( cost here is about $60. and $30 per visit afterwards.)

Best of luck to you
Kam

I blew a Rotator cuff in Jan. of 07,had surgery April of 07 along with the normal aches and pains of a lifetime of hard work(bad knees,stiff back and shoulders).Learning to remember that I'm closer to 50 (47 this month) than I am 30 is hard to do but you can teach an old mule new tricks.Be careful with the back and let it heal

BAck Injury

Gary, I feel your pane. I also have had back surgery.One in 1990 a three day visit to Up State Medical Center Syracuse NY. The second was in November 1991. This one was a 15 day-er. I had a protruding disk. The doctors said they could repair it. I was driving a logging truck in Bonneville NY.Well the first surgery did not solve the problem. A new method was now available. It consisted of a titanium bone cage. A BAK spinal implant. I went with the surgery and the slow healing process began.It took almost two years but things improved.I started with physical therapy. She was a knock out! I still had back problems but this was from scar tissue. I have had as recently as of 2005 a second surgery on my neck.Both of these were done using titanium implants. The surgery's were in the most part successful.However, the cold winters of NY had their affects on me. I am still a walking human barometer. I will disagree with some of the others.Modern medicine has come a long way in the past 20 years. The best thing to do is if you are healthy, is to have the surgery and go into this with a positive mental attitude.I now have three titanium implants in my spine. My days of driving a logging truck are a thing of the past.But I am healthy and I am a member of my local fire department.I tried to retrain while in NY but no one would hire me as I was now a liability.So here I am in Texas. Fixing saws, and small engines. And happy to be able to help my community.Have the surgery if able and have a Positive attitude. Ken

Back injury

Sorry to hear about the bad back. I hope it heals with time.

If I had known I was gonna live this long I would have taken better care of my self.

Maybe if you had used a differnt kind of oil....

Wow... Thanks you all...

I typed this out this morning and then come home to all of your posts... I know I'm not the only one with a bad back. But cripes this hurts like a b1tch sometimes...

I also recently found out that I have Sciatica... It's well along too... My toes go numb at times in my right foot... not good. My injury was actually minor... but it brought forth a lot of stuff that had been around in my body for years... just needed the right injury to show themselves.

Anyways... I just wanted to remind you all to take care of yourselves as far as your backs go... especially you 20 somethings on here... I am paying the price dearly right now for stupidity when i was young.

I will only be at a few shows in WA this year... Sequim, Deming, and Buckley. If we have a PNW get together, I will try to make it to that one as well...

Anyways... I'll keep on postin'! You guys too!

Gary

I think any of us that spent time doing physical labour and / or heavy equipment jobs have back problems. Mine's due to ao crooked body to start with, used and abused too hard and too long. Chiropractor halps me, but it depends how bad you are and what the problem is. The wrong guy working on the wrong problem can cause more damage.

Don't know if it will work for you, but regular miles on a bicycle helps with my sciatica, YMMV..........

Well fellas, and ladies...

I sustained a non saw/wood/work related back injury last year in October. Needless to say, my back is a mess... with tha being said...

I will no longer be competing in the Unlimited Hot Saw class with my V-8 (The Termite) at the Logging Shows here in Washington State. I will try to get out and attend to root on my fellow competitors... but I will be sidelined. I had thought about building a Stihl 084 to compete with... but my back won't even handle that. It's gonna take awhile for the healin' to be over to get back in the game. So maybe next year I can get on that 084... ;)

The saw will be run by 2 other gents from Buckley, WA this year... so if you attend... wish them luck. ;)

Anyways... I'm pretty much workin' on saws more than I am usin' them nowadays... hence the HL rebuild thread. So you can expect to see some more threads like that on other carbs and saw related items to come. I've got a lot of "irons in the fire" so to speak... so I will get more up when I can...

I just enjoy hangin' out and playin' on the forums... I ain't goin' nowhere... just not gonna be liftin' 500 pound V-8 saws anytime soon... :laugh:

Later!

Gary
So thats where you been, sorry to hear about back problems. I
have them too, so far manageable, may a speedy recovery come
your way!

Gary,
Sorry to hear about your back trouble, I hope it get better soon. I too suffered from back trouble. I had 3 bulged discs that did require surgery an few years back. I hurt my back playing basketball while I was in Vo-Tech school, during lunch hour. I learned real quick that fat people shouldn't jump! :) I know others have said to avoid surgery at all costs, but for me it was the only option left and I haven't regretted having it done, but yes, if there is another way, do that first. I hope your recovery is speedy!

It didn't stretch, enough.

Here's my neck story. Don't laugh too hard, sounds like a lot of you might throw your backs out.

I took up windsurfing years ago. One tends to spend a lot of time IN the water during and after the learning curve. I lived in North Central Warshington at the time, and wanted to keep sailing on into the fall. This would mean buying a wet suit.

I'm thrifty or CHEAP. So, a 3 hour drive to Spokane was needed to find a wetsuit at a good price. Actually just to find a wetsuit. Off I went.

Arrived at the store that was recommended. It had salesMEN. No offense, but I think guys have no sense of what sizes we are. I told him it looked too small, he insisted it would fit--they stretch a lot, he said. So off to the fitting room I went.

Well, the suit went over the first trouble spot just fine...but the big area was coming up. I got one arm in, thinking the guy is an expert, he said it would stretch. Started trying to work the other arm in. Major twisting, contorting.
Suddenly, there was a sprong in my neck. I stretched it, ok. Fought to get the arm in and succeeded, only to see that no way in ---- was the suit going to zip up. I struggled to get the thing off, and neck spronged again. Found a guy's suit that fit. Neck not too bad and I headed home. About halfway home, driving through Republic, I'm in agony. I stop and buy some aspirin and continue home with neck getting worse. Anyway, I ended up having to sleep on the floor a few nights, my neck was screwed up badly and all because of a too small wetsuit.
I now sleep using one of those shaped pillows and sometimes the neck sprongs a little. I think it is from years of whiplash and crashing while trying to ski our infamous PNW "powder". Cascade Concrete. Another reason not to ever move here.

Latest posts

Back