back that ash up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDRMNKY

ArboristSite Dork
Reaction score
well, first I admired the sunset on the drive home

2013-01-17_16-52-31_823.jpg

then I backed that ash up

2013-01-17_17-06-36_105.jpg

then I took another picture, cuz' I didn't want to start unloading yet

2013-01-17_17-07-03_671.jpg

and today marks my first barber chair...FMR. all the rest of them leaning ashes gonna get a bored back cut, and then blip the strap. flame on...I didn't know what I didn't know, and I'm glad to be in one piece.

Nice load of wood and pretty cool trailer. Glad you're in one piece. Are you saying you didn't plunge cut the one that barber chaired on you? Just curious as I cut a lot of leaning trees myself and that is one of my biggest worries. Any pics of the barber chair?

:rock: nice jeep.. nice trailer.. nice load of wood.. What year is the wrangler?? I had a 95 that got turned into a rock buggy and sold it to some dude for more then i had into it.. Now i wish i never sold it..:(

Are you saying you didn't plunge cut the one that barber chaired on you?

that's what I'm saying. I don't cut much ash, and as far as leaners go, this one was not what I'd recognize as an obvious barber chair candidate. after, I thought about how the ash I've had splits, and it should have been obvious. experience is the best teacher, if you survive.

no pics.

Last edited:
:rock: nice jeep.. nice trailer.. nice load of wood.. What year is the wrangler?? I had a 95 that got turned into a rock buggy and sold it to some dude for more then i had into it.. Now i wish i never sold it..:(

thanks! Lily's a 95...big fan of square headlights...despite Dana 35 shortcomings. she was my "welcome home from Iraq" present, and helped me keep my sanity those first couple of years.

Glad you didnt get hurt man!

Ive read everything I could on this site I could find on felling and doing hazard trees, trying to apply it all whenever I can.

Wish someone had established a sticky on it sometime in the past and not included/eliminated all the non essential posts. You have to wade through quite a lot of non informative posts to get to anything good. And most likely I have missed some too, but there is enough info here to get ya going.

Any pics of you tapping that ash? :rolleyes2:

I'm not sure I understand...

you mean like this?

2013-01-18_18-17-59_983.jpg

usually the 1/2" course thread tap works okay...the bugger is when I have to cut threads on my kindling

I'm always debating whether to use a course or fine thread die... :msp_confused:

I'm not sure I understand...

you mean like this?

2013-01-18_18-17-59_983.jpg

usually the 1/2" course thread tap works okay...the bugger is when I have to cut threads on my kindling

I'm always debating whether to use a course or fine thread die... :msp_confused:

Now that is hilarious:hmm3grin2orange:

You should've seen all the Ash we cut down and took to the dump today.

I thought ash was a hardwood but I guess maybe not. I cut some that had been leaning against another tree for a while and it was really lite. Had a great scent to the wood and was already very dry. Was RTB but didn't seem to hold up nearly as well as red oak or get nearly as hot. Was the ash I got just very deteriorated or is it normally like that?

I thought ash was a hardwood but I guess maybe not. I cut some that had been leaning against another tree for a while and it was really lite. Had a great scent to the wood and was already very dry. Was RTB but didn't seem to hold up nearly as well as red oak or get nearly as hot. Was the ash I got just very deteriorated or is it normally like that?

Sure it was ash? Maybe it was sasafrash? :msp_tongue::hmm3grin2orange:

Never seen ash with brown centers before...

Last edited:
quote" I thought ash was a hardwood but I guess maybe not. I cut some that had been leaning against another tree for a while and it was really lite. Had a great scent to the wood and was already very dry. Was RTB but didn't seem to hold up nearly as well as red oak or get nearly as hot. Was the ash I got just very deteriorated or is it normally like that?"

Its a hardwood alright, think baseball bat, major league.

Never seen ash with brown centers before...

I'm kinda noticing that trees on this side of the Mississippi, and that side of the Mississippi, ain't zzzactly the same.

Heck, maybe it's hickory, or maybe it's pecan...at least it's all free, except the work!

You should've seen all the Ash we cut down and took to the dump today.

:too_sad:

I'm kinda noticing that trees on this side of the Mississippi, and that side of the Mississippi, ain't zzzactly the same.

Yup. That is very true sometimes! :msp_smile: And I agree that free wood is ALWAYS good! (well, almost always good...)

Last edited:
well, first I admired the sunset on the drive home

2013-01-17_16-52-31_823.jpg

then I backed that ash up

2013-01-17_17-06-36_105.jpg

then I took another picture, cuz' I didn't want to start unloading yet

2013-01-17_17-07-03_671.jpg

and today marks my first barber chair...FMR. all the rest of them leaning ashes gonna get a bored back cut, and then blip the strap. flame on...I didn't know what I didn't know, and I'm glad to be in one piece.

Nice score on the Ash! Can never get enough Ash:msp_biggrin:
Glad you didn't get banged up on the barber chair....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back