Back To Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Now that fall is nearing, i'm getting back at sawing out white pine logs, to be milled to a materials list for a customer friend. He is still needing lumber for the big porch he is putting on his cabin...

Once in the woodlot, i spent quite a bit of time looking for a tree that would give me a 20' log, as i need a couple for 20' beams!

standard.jpg

now, this one looks like it will do "nicely"!

standard.jpg

so, i got everything ready and sawed out the knotch..

standard.jpg

Once the knotch was sawn out, i was amazed to see all this sap pouring out! I could have easily filled a cup with that sap!

standard.jpg

Anyway, the tree was a bit of a "leaner" and for once leaning in the "right" direction, so i didn't bother with the tree jack.... BIG mistake!! The tree fell just a little off from where i wanted it, and of course it fell into another tree!!! The wind affected it just enough to make the difference!!

standard.jpg

so, i took a break and waited for the wind to finish dropping it! And i waited and waited and waited!!! It never happened!! After spending some time looking everything over so as to NOT compound my mistakes, i decided to saw down the second tree too!

As you can see, i used the tree jack on this one!

standard.jpg

and FINALLY the whole thing went over, relieveing a load of stress for me!!!

standard.jpg

So, now it's time to saw those logs out!!! I got my 20 footer, and also a decent 16 footer out of the second tree...

standard.jpg

That was enough "fun" ? for me for one day... so in a day or two i'll go back out there and skid those logs in. I need to get to milling them into beams and lumber as my friend is yelling at me to get more sawn!!

Hope you liked the picts...

Rob

nice wood lot....when you do your back cut do you cut from the outside towards the notch? If you plunge the bar through about an inch behind the notch and cut away toward the outside you can stop just before exiting the base and put wedges in if you need them....then cut the remaining sap wood and the tree will fall where you need it.

nice little ditty you had there for us Sawyer rob... thanks. They look like nice clean no muss no fuss trees to get some lumber from. btw, I concur with the plunge method cantcutter explained for the backcut. You have to have a sharp saw, a steady hand though and a good feel for your saw so you don't go cutting into the hinge and really make a mess. There a a hundred ways to cut down a tree. You got the job done though. I get a little jittery though when cutting down a tree that has another one leaning on it... scary stuff.

thank again for the pics.

Glad things worked out without damage or injury.

I'm sure you are aware of how unsafe it was to cut the second tree while the first one was leaning into it.

I love my Farmi winch for pulling out those hung up trees.

Glad it worked out for you in the end. Myself, a pulley on another tree with a come along to pull the butt end out, just to get the first one moving a little more. NIce looking woods there too.:rockn:

holly...... I read through all that and didn't even notice he cut the second tree to land the first one:O :O
Get a winch, tractor, 4x4 or something to drag them back with......no need to kill yourself over a 20' beam.

Hello again,

Yes i understand the safety issues.... NO i wasn't going to leave that tree while i went for a winch or other tool, and yes i do the plunge cut.... And lastly, NO i can't control the wind...

The tree's are up on a big hill, and tall enough to catch some wind... The wind was swirreling around, and "if" i would have used the tree jack it would have made a difference.

Usually it's no big deal where they fall, but in this case, i needed a certain tree and there was less space for it to fall properly... Anyway, thanks for all the answers...

Rob

ooohhh, and i bought the tree jack from www.norwoodindustries.com

standard.jpg

[/QUOTE]

here's the problem rob, it wasn't the wind that affected in. You can clearly see the problem in the picture.

You cut away half your hinge wood in this picture. Leaving the hinge wood on the left side of the tree, when it fell the right side of the hinge was non-existant, and so the left side pulled it into the second tree. If you had of cut an even hinge, the tree should of fallen just about where you wanted it, especially since it had a favorable lean.

These guys are thinking right telling you to bore cut, not only can you avoid fibre pull, but it's nice on larger trees and leaners because it allows to set your hinge exactly how you want it, and theen cut out the back. It never hurts to take an extra couple seconds and look around the other side of the tree to see how your cuts are lining up. Saves alot of time and sometimes lives.

hope this helps?

Craig

You cut away half your hinge wood in this picture. Leaving the hinge wood on the left side of the tree, when it fell the right side of the hinge was non-existant, and so the left side pulled it into the second tree.

NO, i did not cut through the hinge... I sawed out the hinge AFTER the tree was leaning, and attempted to push it out of place with the tree jack...

Now, don't tell me you guys had a webcam out there and saw something i didn't????? Can anyone here tell me what the wind was gusting up there that day???? I didn't catch that....

Rob

Last edited:
NO, i did not cut through the hinge... I sawed out the hinge AFTER the tree was leaning, and attempted to push it out of place with the tree jack...

Rob

Rob i'm sorry, I'm just trying to help? I didn't realize... it certainly looks like it was dropped that way... if it was to push it with the jack why did you only half the hinge away?

Rob i'm sorry, I'm just trying to help? I didn't realize... it certainly looks like it was dropped that way... if it was to push it with the jack why did you only half the hinge away?

If you look at the way it is leaning on the other tree, my guess would be that he cut the right side out to attempt to roll it out of the tree.

If you look at the way it is leaning on the other tree, my guess would be that he cut the right side out to attempt to roll it out of the tree.

When my feller-buncher was down, they had us felling by hand to try and keep up with the skidder/loader. I can remember getting ahead of myself and rushing through the timber, and once in a while would get a pine hung up in my hast. I know it is dangerous, and I wouldn't tell anybody to do it, but I have actually done this "rolling" maneuver in medium sized (50-60ft 12" dia) Virginia pines down in MD, and have been successful at dropping several trees that way when they were hung up. These were relatively small trees though. I know... still could have killed me.

Now it's time to skid the logs out. The first one went fairly easy, other than the fact they are up on a big hill in a hard to get to spot...

standard.jpg

Once out of the woodlot, i started down the hill and into a sandy valley...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Going down the hill, takes you into a sand pit... I have no idea how you'd ever get these logs out of that sugar sand without MFWD as you have to pull the load up a sandy hill to get out of there. Even with MFWD i spun pulling the loaded trailor up and out of there.

standard.jpg

anyway, i left my log trailor on the valley floor, and loaded the logs there...

standard.jpg

Now, to get the 16 footer out, and it's further in, and in a tough spot! This is as close as i could get, and not only am i at a poor angle, the log has a stump in front of it!!

standard.jpg

You can see in the pict how i handle a problem like this one, i use a "pully" to change the direction of pull. I guess i could cut everything out of my way, and i will have to cut some of the smaller tree's out as i log in deeper, but i try to not cut out any more than i have to.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

After some "jockying around", i managed to get the log out where i could get ahold of it with my 3 point hitch and i started skidding it out.

standard.jpg

Once i had it out, i loaded it beside the 20 footer...

standard.jpg

And headed down the trail to the road home...

standard.jpg

FINALLY, i'm out on the road and headed for the sawmill!!

standard.jpg

Next job will be to mill these logs into lumber!!

Hope you enjoyed the picts!!

Rob

Latest posts

Back