Back To Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Humboldt

Using a variety of undercut skills, depending on the tree, can work out.

A steep faced Humboldt, when there is a possibility of a hang-up, can be a big help.
The butt wants to slide off the stump. As always, careful on getting your bar tip stuck.

One could do an openface, where the bottom of the face is the open part. Mimicking the Humboldt and still getting the longer control hinge wood.

Also, making a deeper, into the tree, face does more to encourage the butt separating from the stump. The butt sliding off the stump can jerk the tree free of the limbs holding it above. The open face on every tree thought process isn't always desirable. There are times when getting the butt free of the stump is a tool and also a safety item on slope.

I'm throwing this your way as I think is worthwhile as in the case of the hung-up photo you posted it looks like it was an easy to resolve problem.

The best way to deal with this is to do a better job sighting / hinge wood.
Make sure on tighter lays that you sight from down and behind the saw powerhead. You need to see both the target and sight in the same view. If you have a wide lay, you can sight from above, but it is a bad habit.

The post about doing a boring back cut to get the hinge wood just right has a lot of merit. Especially if your bar is long enough.

Here is a web sight (pun intended) that shows how to use that tree jack in conjunction with a hanger. I think this cutting of the hinge technique shown is the best. Provided you have a saw with a real bar on it.

http://www.skogforsk.se/KunskapDirekt/default.aspx?p=11362&bmp=11727

From the left side menu select: Film för bredband

Then again from the left side menu: Avverkning med motorsåg (10 min)

At the 5 minute mark is the cutting technique mentioned.

Learning Swedish is not required.

Now it's time to mill the logs into lumber! After rolling the 16 footer onto the mill, i took the first cut...

standard.jpg

After taking a couple 5/4 boards off, i turned the log using the mills cable winch log turner...

standard.jpg

After sawing, takeing more 5/4 boards and more turning i worked my way around and got the log down to where i could get some 3x8's. These will be rafters on a large porch i'm sawing out...

standard.jpg

I also edged all of the 5/4 boards at this time...

standard.jpg

Here's the lumber from the 16 foot log...

standard.jpg

Continued....

Now to mill the 20 footer!

standard.jpg

Man... a 20 foot log is a loooooong log, and a LOT of extra work handleing it and the lumber... Here it is, turned and ready for another cut...

standard.jpg

All the side lumber was sawn out into 5/4 boards, but this is what i was after! It's a 6"x10" beam, 20 feet long!!

standard.jpg

Here's all the lumber back on the trailor, ready to be delivered!

standard.jpg

So, off i go to deliver all of the lumber to my customer/friends warehouse! I unload it there, and he takes care of stickering it under the roof in the back ground!

standard.jpg

That's it for this time... and i hope you enjoyed the picts!!

Rob

Latest posts

Back