Bad Day getting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for the encouraging and humorous replies...laughing about about a bad situation, after the fact, is the best thing you can do...besides learning something from it!

And I appreciate all the rep too...helps with the sting of the $300.00 bones it's gonna cost me for a new tire...

Bounty Hunter

Um, I don't, but it sounds....like something I'd love to hear someone else did but...not me. However, it sounds like a really cool method. For someone.

Of course, I'm the weenie who won't toss lighted matches into an open can of gasoline ever after I've seen other guys do in numerous times over the years.

I have had a few "bad" days of cutting, but I'll step down and admit that yours has mine beat. That was a seriously bad day you had there. One of mine very very very nearly got me killed, but it didn't so you can have the trophy.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have experience with dbe's "starting fluid method" of mounting a tire?
Before I put a crater in the driveway and send me, my son, and two dogs to the ER, is that method safe? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

yep, done it on tractor tires more than once......just don't use a whole can. a couple of spritz and light it. if it doesn't do the trick, use a little more....etc.......

Don't feel bad, I broke a shackle today in my 92 F150. I was toteing the stump grinder and 660 back from a job, hit a bump...BANG! I did a little better than you though, I could drive it home to fix it.

Glad you got your truck home.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Did you replace or at least check the other shackle? Those break at speed could lead to trouble.

Does anyone else have experience with dbe's "starting fluid method" of mounting a tire?
Before I put a crater in the driveway and send me, my son, and two dogs to the ER, is that method safe? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Have done it as a last resort on a trailer that refused to seat. Just a few sprays of ether and light it with a torch. Be ready to put any fires out just in case you got sloppy when spraying.

Chris B.

Did you replace or at least check the other shackle? Those break at speed could lead to trouble.

The other shackle looks fairly good, not nearly as rotted out as the one that broke. But yeah, I probably should change it out ASAP to avoid another surprise!

Thank the Lord Jesus!!!

Now I finally know I am not alone. There really are other people who have days like I do.

have you ever tried seating a tire with a can of starting fluid? takes about a second's worth shot of SF into the tire, then get some fire by it, BOING! tire on rim. Fill with air soon, because what air is left in the tire will get burned by the remaining SF, and the tire will collapse inward from the pressure of the outside atmosphere being greater than what is now inside the tire.

LOL. I don't think it would have a good idea considering the kinda day he's been having!!!!!!!!!!

Good party trick though....in the dark....... maybe round the camp fire...... few beers......maybe not a good idea!

It is good to know that things like this happen to other good people. I call them "adventures." They're great to talk about in a couple of years. You always learn something. How to fix something on the fly. How to do something better. Always something. And then I always spend lots of time thinking how could I have prevented this, or gotten myself out of this hole a little faster.

Back