Bad deal from fellow member. Opinions welcome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy1223

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I had/have a bad deal with a member here on the forums. I'm not posting his name but he knows who he is and if he would like to jump in and explain his side that would be grate. I would love to hear it.

long story short I paid for a echo 500vl that "the only problem is a broken pull start. Very good compression and it worked fine before the pull start broke" I got the saw around new years just before we moved. After the move I got a whole new pull starter from another member. Installed it and filled it up with fresh mix. pulled it a couple dozen times with no luck and went in a

My opinion? Keep personal business personal, but if you insist on dragging us through it, at least learn to complete a post before submitting and proofread for grammar so you sound more credible. I see your profile says you're an HVAC installer. That requires a fair bit of technical knowledge which leads me to believe your post is poorly composed out of laziness and not lack of ability. Frankly, you're not getting off on a good foot.

Not sure how that posted. I got that far and desided not to bother because who really cares? Anyway I guess it posted somehow so ill quickly finish so as not to leave ppl hanging.

so new pull start and the saw would not start. Got my comp guage out and the saw only had 120psi for compression. Tried putting a little mix down the carb. No go. Replaced fule lines and rebuilt carb just to be sure. No go. Contacted seller about problem. He asked how much I had paid him. I told him $70 plus shipping he asked if I wanted to keep the saw if he paid some of the money back. I said that would be fine and gave him the address. Some time goes by (3 weeks or so) I send him another message asking if he sent the money. He tells me he is broke and asked if I take pay pals. I gave him my paypals info. Wait. Another week or two nothing. Sent him a few messages. No reply. Sent him a message calling him out as a cheat and I get a message back asap saying he wants pics of the p/c. I pulled the muffler and from there I could not see any major damage to the piston or walls. Keep in mind I never said the p/c was scored but the compression is still low and the saw does not run. And I get no reply from the seller. Looks like I got an expensive project saw and I learned that even here there are not so honest ppl that will try to unload junk saws out of ignorance or greed. Guess it happenes everywhere. Glad it was a low $ deal and not something more expensive. I have bought about half a dozen saws from members here and never had a problem so it could be worse. And its not really about the money. I expected him to send back $30 or $40 so its not a big loss. its the shady way the seller has done this deal that pi$$ed me off. Save the scams and junk saws for ebay or creigs list.

So that's the story if anyone cares to know. Like I said the first post was an accident and I didn't intend to post this story after I started because who really cares.......

My opinion? Keep personal business personal, but if you insist on dragging us through it, at least learn to complete a post before submitting and proofread for grammar so you sound more credible. I see your profile says you're an HVAC installer. That requires a fair bit of technical knowledge which leads me to believe your post is poorly composed out of laziness and not lack of ability. Frankly, you're not getting off on a good foot.

Yep and this is why I didn't intend to post the message I had started. Just to be clear I was not looking for your approval and you can speculate on my laziness if it in some way makes you feel better. I'm not sure how it matters what foot I'm getting off on because what you think about what I post has no bearing on anything. But I will be sure to contact you if I'm ever interested in leasons in grammar, spelling or internet forum etiquette. Thanks a bunch :rolleyes:

Hello fellow Iowan!

My rule of thumb is to ask for the compression numbers up front, no matter who is selling a saw to me. If you don't ask up front, its kinda on you for buying a parts saw that needs to be fixed. I understand it might have been represented to you as running after easy fix but if the seller can't pull the recoil and give you compression numbers I automatically assume bad top end. I've had at least 3 of these same situations in the last year from guys that walk in with saws from other places. I tell them the same thing: I always assume responsibility for stuff I didn't ask the seller about in the first place.

That being said, it could be worse. Sounds like you need a $15 set of caber rings if the cylinder looks good. Also you might want to check if you have a 500vl that meets the Echo recall. You might just get a new saw out of it!
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1986/Echo-Recalls-Model-Cs-500VL-Chain-Saw/

Yep and this is why I didn't intend to post the message I had started. Just to be clear I was not looking for your approval and you can speculate on my laziness if it in some way makes you feel better. I'm not sure how it matters what foot I'm getting off on because what you think about what I post has no bearing on anything. But I will be sure to contact you if I'm ever interested in leasons in grammar, spelling or internet forum etiquette. Thanks a bunch :rolleyes:
Did you solicit opinions in your very first post or didn't you? If you had no intention of posting, why did you post? Last time I checked, threads don't compose themselves. Here's a couple of facts for you. You chose to type this post for this forum. You asked for feedback. I gave you feedback. You bought a non running saw and that is exactly what you got. Simple case of buyer's remorse and now you want to come to the forums crying about it.

Let me see, where was that? Ah! Here it is. Check the title:
"Opinions welcome"

Did you solicit opinions in your very first post or didn't you? If you had no intention of posting, why did you post? Last time I checked, threads don't compose themselves. Here's a couple of facts for you. You chose to type this post for this forum. You asked for feedback. I gave you feedback. You bought a non running saw and that is exactly what you got. Simple case of buyer's remorse and now you want to come to the forums crying about it.
I'm guessing he wrote 1/2 of it and accidently hit the wrong button and it posted instead of taking him back to previous screen. Been known to happen...

"Opinions welcome"

having a grumpy day sir? have a beer and chill out. your opinion is welcome but the attitude isnt need but whatever. its a free country. have a nice day

I did ask about the compression when I bought the saw. He said he had no guage but the compression was very good and the saw started and ran as it should. Guess I should have just walked away. O well. Will tare into it some time and try to get it running. Just wasn't looking for another project.

I have lots of saws that worked fine right up to the point something broke. We won't call them project saws , if that makes you feel better. How many do you want. We know the saw sat for at least 4-6 months with fuel in the carb, who knows how long before that. If the piston and cylinder look good then it should run. 120# compression on your gauge ? Have you ck it with a good running saw. I would bet carb rebuild and it will run. Do you have spark? What broke the recoil, smashed . the 70 you paid for the saw is long gone. Even 30-40 bucks may be hard for someone to come up with. My opinion after 4 months , sorry about your luck

"Opinions welcome"
Let it go. Chill Winston

Hello fellow Iowan!

My rule of thumb is to ask for the compression numbers up front, no matter who is selling a saw to me. If you don't ask up front, its kinda on you for buying a parts saw that needs to be fixed. I understand it might have been represented to you as running after easy fix but if the seller can't pull the recoil and give you compression numbers I automatically assume bad top end. I've had at least 3 of these same situations in the last year from guys that walk in with saws from other places. I tell them the same thing: I always assume responsibility for stuff I didn't ask the seller about in the first place.

That being said, it could be worse. Sounds like you need a $15 set of caber rings if the cylinder looks good. Also you might want to check if you have a 500vl that meets the Echo recall. You might just get a new saw out of it!
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/1986/Echo-Recalls-Model-Cs-500VL-Chain-Saw/
Can you run a scored piston with new rings? There does seem to be some logic there as the piston should not touch the cylinder walls. I've got two 440's with scored pistons, not sure about the cylinders yet, but boy the oem pistons are pricey. Haven't managed to get the clutch off the best one yet. Left hand thread I'm guessing?

Regards,

Lee

I'm a little slow, but... How do you test the compression if the recoil is broken?

Maybe that's why you see so many saws with broken/missing recoils???

I like to post a pic of the saw with the gauge on it, but that could be faked pretty easily, too. Bottom line is you are taking a gamble anytime you buy a used saw. Sorry.

Can you run a scored piston with new rings? There does seem to be some logic there as the piston should not touch the cylinder walls. I've got two 440's with scored pistons, not sure about the cylinders yet, but boy the oem pistons are pricey. Haven't managed to get the clutch off the best one yet. Left hand thread I'm guessing?

Regards,

Lee
yes, left hand thread and no don't run a scored piston with new rings. A scored piston running 11,000-13,000 rpm in a good cylinder is asking for trouble. Just send those 440's down to Iowa and I'll take good care of them for you (evil grin).

Will tare into it some time and try to get it running. Just wasn't looking for another project.

Have you checked your serial # with the recall notice posted by Nstueve. Echo will give you a brand new saw, no questions asked. It does not matter if the recall was in 1986. Members here have benefited from the recall. There used to be a guy on CL that had a running want ad for Echo 500vl's (running or not). He said he needed parts. Yeah right, he knew he could get new saws under the Echo recall.

Latest posts

Back