bad idea to install dump box on pick up ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a car guy, not a tree guy: ASE Certified Master Auto Technician plus 2 H.D. Truck Certs, Assoc. in Auto Lab Technology, etc. Take it from all of the posts above, not only is it not a good idea but is potentially illegal and MAY void insurance coverage should something happen.

Take a look at the sticker on the driver's door or driver's door pillar. Find the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight rating) and write it down on a piece of paper. Now, find the weight of your truck either at a scale or via the web, be sure to count all fluids, full tank of gas, yourself and passenger(s) and any other equipment you carry in/on the truck. Write that number down on the same paper.

Find the weight of the dump system you are looking at, including the hydraulic fluid. Write that number down.

Now, subtract the weight of the vehicle and dump system from the GVWR number. Looks like this:
GVWR
- truck weight
- dump system weight

The amount left, at the bottom, is the amount of weight you could then legally carry, chip in your case. IF that number is a negative amount you would be over weight hauling nothing but air!

No big deal, I'll drive slow and careful you say (we all say that at first)? Problem occurs when (if?) something dumb happens on the road and you are involved in an accident. Not only will you be nailed for overweight but your insurance carrier will drop you and if you need to use them for that accident you are probably not covered, even though you are paid up. Contact your insurance agent to make sure. YES, they can and do do that!

IF you find out that you would not be overweight feel free to ask again, stating so, and there are a number of things we will recommend you do to beef up the mechanical aspects of the truck.

I KNOW this isn't the answer you wanted but it's the truth and will potentially save you money, your driver's record, ability to obtain insurance and God forbid jail time.

Thinking about using a trailer? Use the GCVWR (Gross Combination Vehicle Weight Rating) amount on the same sticker, the loaded weight of the truck and anything it is hauling or towing may not exceed that amount. Trailer brake requirements are a State Statute, I doubt if that changes IF you have a CDL but am not sure on that specific.

Sorry to be such a buzz-kill...:chainsaw:

Have you used it with chips? Compeling, I wonder if it would pull out a full load of chips stacked up in a chip box? Anyone have feedback?

Mitchell, I have a 1-ton F-350 with a plywood box( 6' sides) and tarp top. I put a sheet of plastic (1/4 thick) under the Load Handler(commercial model) and I can fill the 8' bed all the way up with the chipper,haul it to the dump site, and have my 12 yr old niece turn the crank to dump out the load! My 3-yr old son should be able to do it in a few years, for now he loves to sit on the load of chips and get dumped out:clap: I put the plastic sheet under it instead of the one they offer because it is more rigid and the price was right (free). This is a great setup for a small outfit and has served me well for many years with the only drawback being te need to shovel the dumped load or move the truck forward as you unload it. I would go with a Dump-Pro(uses a Warn winch) instead of a Steel dump insert using hydraulics when and if I upgrade. For now picking up the logs and putting them in my dump trailer is easier than picking them up higher and into the bed of my truck. The old back just ain't what it used to be:cheers:

Have you used it with chips? Compeling, I wonder if it would pull out a full load of chips stacked up in a chip box? Anyone have feedback?

I dont have a chip box on my truck. I don have to chip in to it often..and when i do 9/10 i can drop chips off with in 10-15 miles. But i fill the truck up to where it dont want to hold no more in the bed...then do deliver it.

It is a lot of weight on the truck, and i dont like to do it..but this is my set up right now.

I am pulling a 6 inch bandit.

The loadhandler pulls the chips right out.

I know there are a few others here on arboristsite that use them too.

Its nice have a 4x4...too, to get into "messy" spots.

Hey Fellows Or Is It Fellers

THANKS for the 15+ replys for dumping my chips out of my pick up. I'm going to try the "LOAD HANDLER" inexspencive & easy to install (sounds like) When I first seen one in a catalog I chuckled a little bit but it sounds like the ticket for me. I like tricks of the trade, reminds me of when I first started the tree trade (In the early 80's fresh out of the USMC working for asplundh tree expert co.) I would do side jobs (buzzys we called them) after work and on the wk. ends I would throw all the brush in the back of my pick up (750 lb's or more) but first I would put a rope in the bed of pick up leaving tons of slack rope on top of cab and the other end out the tail gait again with plenty of slack then at the dump I would tie a running bowline around the hole pile and tie it to a big stump or branch or something then just drive off And it sure saved on the BACK ! got go I SURE WORK FOR A HELL OF NICE GUY HE GAVE ME THE HOLE DAY OFF TODAY JOKE OF THE DAY: don't sweat the petty __it--- pet the sweaty __it

the smallest truck i ever chipped into was a 1 ton dodge and you can overload it very easily if your pulling a load of chips/logs and a chipper. ive had to take stuff off before. at work we have c5500's and we get them duramax diesels to the point where they wont pull the chipper and a load we have to come back for the chipper. if you leave the chipper on you only going to be doing like 25mph and the brakes are glowing red when you get back. if thiers any seriouse hills.

Last edited:
I use a Downeaster dump insert in a 1-ton gmc.It works great!!!!I have a removable top that goes that goes on when chipping and short sides when I'm not chipping.The cost of the dump insert was around $2300 new with tax and the removable sides and top were around $200.The best part of this is that if my truck dies on me I can put this into a different truck with no cost..

Sorry, not trying to steal the thread...

but what does DOT stand for.

Thanks
Canyon

Another ploy brought on by the rich to keep a small guy
out of the game. Some trucking big business have a paid
certification that excludes them from having to stop at
weigh stations! It is targeting underprivileged business
in the name of safety to discourage them from working
for themselves.

Another ploy brought on by the rich to keep a small guy
out of the game. Some trucking big business have a paid
certification that excludes them from having to stop at
weigh stations! It is targeting underprivileged business
for themselves.

There is only one thing to say to that.

and in the words of Michael Turko, KUSI Channel 9, San Diego.

"It just aint right"

That is crappy...i want to see the accident chart of those companies compared to the small guy

It is targeting underprivileged business
for themselves.

They will also stop the guy that does not ask the question that started this thread who actually goes and loads 3k lbs on a 1/2 truck, then realizes he can't stop the load going downhill and we read about it in the injury/fatality listings.

They will also stop the guy that does not ask the question that started this thread who actually goes and loads 3k lbs on a 1/2 truck, then realizes he can't stop the load going downhill and we read about it in the injury/fatality listings.

Well yes, in that situation you should be stopped. I didnt speak about that in my post...because well in my mind that goes against common sense. And, well sometimes i wish we all had it. Just Kidding.

In the situation that you have described i would much rather have that person get pulled over and cited then read about it in the injury/fatality form.

JMO

Canyon

Build One

I'm actually in the process of building a dumpbox. Purchased plans from www.dumpbeds.com , got maybe 50 bucks in steel. All I need is the pump, which are all over e-bay for cheap. Of course I work in a fabrication shop and get most of the work done during breaks, but it can be done by anyone with common sense.

More bang for your buck! I thought about the steel dump insert but for a 1-ton I still think that after the loadhandler something like the Dump-Pro would be the next best bet. However, if you can make a steel insert at your own cost+materials I say go for it. I would get it powder-coated for the money you will save fabricating it yourself.

Buy a cheap 1 ton

For a simple, lightweight, setup it is hard to beat the pickup with loadhandler and chipper. It is also efficient and inexpensive.

We use a 3/4 ton, 4 wheel drive. No problems with the bed loaded with chips hauling the chipper.

The loadhandler is great with chips, wood, rocks or course gravel. Sand, not so good. It seems to be too heavy and fine and it sticks like glue.

This setup will make the big boys laugh and cry at the same time; laugh as you pull up to the job and then cry when they see realize how low your overhead is.

D Mc[/QUOTE The main issue is not with the ability to dump the load. The reason we use a chipper is because hauling is not cost effective. If you do the math it is plain to see that your 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton is going to make 3 times more trips to the dump site than a 1 ton with overloads. That translates into man hours spent driving, increased fuel cost, much greater wear and tear on the vehicle and less time on the job cutting. You would easily recapture the cost of a cheap 1 ton and a plywood dump box in 6 months working only part time. Anything else is a waste of money.

More bang for your buck! I thought about the steel dump insert but for a 1-ton I still think that after the loadhandler something like the Dump-Pro would be the next best bet. However, if you can make a steel insert at your own cost+materials I say go for it. I would get it powder-coated for the money you will save fabricating it yourself.

I have a 1 ton with a wood box. I put down 18 guage steel sheet with roofing nails. Slick as an eel in a bucket of snot. Cheap too

I put a hoist under my flatbed on a one ton chevy. The cheapest way to do it is go to an farm implement dealer and buy a used 6 ton wagon hoist for 175-200 dollars. I used a 12 volt hydraulic pump to power it. Total cost for the project was 700-750 bucks, best money I've ever spent.

Dump pump

the least I spent for hydrolics was 2k parts only. My dump boxes "chipped" in at 5 to 10 k. I would like to set up a dump for less on a new 1 ton. I was toying with a winch type system but ultimately I will likely put hydraulics on it. Any thoughts on inexpensive dump systems appreciated. I used the load handler and I do not think it is a good replacement for a dump. Perhaps if the load handler was built sturdier. I seemed to be fixing it every other day. I might dog it out to

Latest posts

Back