Bad News

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbow388

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While at a chainsaw shop today swapping around parts, I found out that my chain saw has a scored piston. Well, So does my other homelite XL 12 that I'm using for parts. Any ideas of where I can get a new piston or anyone that has one? Not a good way to start a first fix.

Last edited:
Sorry..but I don't understand the connection of shopping for chainsaw parts..
and discovering you have a scored piston..??

Anyways..you need to find out why the piston got scored in the first place..

and FIX IT..!! No sense ruining another piston..!!

Likely you have an air filtration leakage problem..(allowing fines in)
:cheers:
J2F

I wasn't exactly chain saw shopping me and my dad were looking at this dudes collection and happened to have some parts.. And the guy told me that the reason it probably did that was because the air filter was holy and like eroding

I do not have a ton of experience with Homelite, but I have heard from multiple 30+ year users that the seals on the xl-12 are notorious for going bad. Just my secondhand two cents.

PTO side crank seal does go bad on them. In my experience though, most scored XL-12/SXL saws are killed by opperator error. People tune the high side for max RPM's (and 'clean' running) at WOT with no load. When you tune these saws that way, they lean out in the cut. They have to be tuned so that they '4-stroke' at WOT out of the cut, and just 'clean up' when under load in the cut.

Back