Bailey's Chain Breaker and Spinner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frustrating evening at the chain spinner, but learned something

Some things, are slightly perishable skills: sharpening, felling, spinning, etc. But if you have done it enough, they come back quickly, and you get your edge back. Not tonight. Wanted to spin up a few loops of chain for a pole saw, and the links kept jamming tight: 3/8, low profile, narrow kerf chain - Oregon Type 90. Over spinning? Bad links? Bent / burred drive links? Breaking too aggressively? Worn spinner die? Wasted a number of chain links, and several pre-sets, trying different things, including gradual, alternating pressure on the breaker, and hammering and buffing the drive links to make sure they were flat.

Finally realized that the drive links on this chain are just so thin (0.043 gauge) that they deform with almost any pressure from punching / breaking out the rivets; hard to see some of this.

Went to the 'grind-the-rivet heads-off-flrst-with-a-Dremel-tool-before-breaking-with-the-punch' method, and that seemed to work. Although, past of the reason I like having a chain breaker is to not need to do this. Offends my delicate sense of propriety. Also makes it hard to save any parts for re-use. But is seems to be the only practical way to work with these paper thin chain components. This will be my 'new standard procedure' for these chains.

Left the rivet heads slightly higher than I prefer, but got a little cautious after wasting so many pre-sets. Will work on that. Good reason to buy them in quantity!

Philbert

Bump.

Just found one of these used; made in China, not italy, but I will have to live with that. Also have the User's Manual scanned, if anyone needs / wants a copy (send me a PM - large file to post).

View attachment 803261

Philbert

Learned the 'hard way' that there are different versions of this tool. Although in 'new condition', it is the older model (24549S) with SAE threads. The newer model (24549SI ) has larger, Metric threads. There is a guy on eBay that has a good deal on the 3/4" pitch adaptor for harvester chains, but they do not fit mine :(:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oregon-3-4...468904&hash=item23c3f8b955:g:QvMAAOSwAItdXH6l
Philbert

There is a smaller punch die for the 90 class Oregon and equivelant 61 class Stihl. Probably for all the 0.043 gauge stuff. The spinner die is 0.325 and down, full 3/8 and 0.404 for the other. I re sized some 61pmm3 recently and did not have your problems with bending the drive links. Stihl sells presets in packages of 8 I think with the tie straps so no need worry about bending the tie straps.

Might be a STIHL vs Oregon difference? I have several loops of STIHL chain to spin down too (need to order the pre-sets) so I can compare.

Never had a real problem with 0.050 gauge, low pro. Did not run into this thinner gauge chain as much before; becoming more popular on battery saws, etc.

Philbert

Back