Baileys...steppin' it up...026 style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was running square ground chain off my Silvey. No thinning on the rivets or cutters. I do need to spend more time on my chains.

And how in the world can you justify owning a Silvey grinder?...:jawdrop:

On the topic of Baileys BB kits I have installed 2 in the past week, a 660, and a 460. The ports looked pretty good on the 660, but the 460 was another story all together. The exhaust port on the 460 was tiny barely 2/3 the size of the ex port on the stock head. I ported both heads so it did not turn out to be much of an issue, although it took a lot of grinding just to get the port up to stock specs before I could begin to open it up. All things considered both BB kits turned out well. Both are running strong and seem to be getting better with every tank burned. Got my fingers crossed.

Brad rev limited saws do really good if you know how to build them......I remember a 7901 from Ohio that was way more than 15% over stock.......Just might have been a Ohio saw god saw.......:)

From what Ive read lately in your posts ,You seem to need big RPM's to get your saws to cut .............My question is Why?? Your 15% on the 7900 is the difference between a round chisel and a square chisel in some cases......Im just trying to figure out what people are paying for .......

From what Im being told by a Husky rep the 346NE is limited for a reason of longivity ......Rumor has it there bringing the RPM's down even more in the very near future ......I think I'd be really pissed to have a 50cc saw running 15K + and 850.00 with no idea what kinda stress it going to take and for how long ........2000 hours on a pro saw is good at stock RPM's ........How many hours are you getting out of an 850.00 50cc saw running 15K+ ??:popcorn:

Ok back too the 026 P/C ..........:clap::clap:

$850.00 and 50cc you must be speaking of my saw.I think a good woodsported saw might just last alittle longer than a stock one.15K + is WOT and not in the cut an old 242XP was 15.5K stock,14K on the 246.My ported 359 does not dog down in the cut on a large red oak a stock one will.Everyone says you want your chain speed up in the cut.When you are booging down all the time is that not harder on a saw than having a few more rpms and not booging down.Maintenance plays a big part in how long your saw will last.I will be doing some tests in a couple weeks with my NE346XP and 359 both ported with my Tiny Tach-Fast Tach to see what speeds they turn in the cut.I don't think you really understand everything about stress and how it affects a chainsaw.......:popcorn:

Brad rev limited saws do really good if you know how to build them......I remember a 7901 from Ohio that was way more than 15% over stock.......Just might have been a Ohio saw god saw.......:)

From what Ive read lately in your posts ,You seem to need big RPM's to get your saws to cut .............My question is Why?? Your 15% on the 7900 is the difference between a round chisel and a square chisel in some cases......Im just trying to figure out what people are paying for .......

From what Im being told by a Husky rep the 346NE is limited for a reason of longivity ......Rumor has it there bringing the RPM's down even more in the very near future ......I think I'd be really pissed to have a 50cc saw running 15K + and 850.00 with no idea what kinda stress it going to take and for how long ........2000 hours on a pro saw is good at stock RPM's ........How many hours are you getting out of an 850.00 50cc saw running 15K+ ??:popcorn:

Ok back too the 026 P/C ..........:clap::clap:

WOT Isn't the only thing Brad is looking for, it's mostly ease of tuning.

I see where this is heading, and I don't care for it. A few guys get in good with saw builders from other sites. Next thing you know they all start jumping on the AS site builders. This has happened to other good builders in the past, and it's really silly to me. It all boils down to childish jealousy... :popcorn:

Last edited:

I see where this is heading, and I don't care for it. A few guys get in good with saw builders from other sites. Next thing you know they all start jumping on the AS site builders. This has happened to other good builders in the past, and it really silly to me. It's all boils down to childish jealousy... :popcorn:

Sorry Andy.........Im not a fan of those guys......(It's all boils down to childish jealousy) That is an Ohio thing.........Why does Husky and other companys rev limit there saws.......My guess is longevity ........I have saws from many different builders and screw the politics ........

Its going to be interesting what the longevity is .............

BTW I for one am not a member over there and not friends with any of them!!!

Last edited:
Sorry Andy.........Im not a fan of those guys......(It's all boils down to childish jealousy) That is an Ohio thing.........Why does Husky and other companys rev limit there saws.......My guess is longevity ........I have saws from many different builders and screw the politics ........

Its going to be interesting what the longevity is .............

BTW I for one am not a member over there and not friends with any of them!!!

Definitely an Ohio thing.:cheers:

The limiters are for longevity, as many factory tuned saw run so lean they would likely blowup without the limiters. When I put a non limited coil on my stock 346 it went from bouncing off the limiter to 16,100 rpm, that's how lean some of these saws come from the factory. Without the limiter they'd pop in no time.

One also needs to remember that chainsaws are overbuilt for the power they produce, they have a lot more on the table than the manufactures lead us to believe.:givebeer:

That is entirely why I hate rev limited coils. I loose a huge tuning aid when I can't run a saw at WOT. RPMs in the wood is what makes a saw fast. As far as cutting performance, the rev limited coil only matters if it limits below what the saw turns in the wood. The 3120 is a prime example of that. I believe the current 3120 coil limits to something like 9,500, and this 3120 I have here is turning 11,200 in the wood.

I had that cylinder in hand at Eriks GTG. The combustion chamber and transfer finish was impressive. Ridge into lower transfer was all most non existant. Looked at the 2 Mahle I have here at home for comparison, other than not knowing what, if any differences in port nos. there are, for anyone that that would want a stock replacement (no porting) I'd say bolt it on and get to cutting.

That is entirely why I hate rev limited coils. I loose a huge tuning aid when I can't run a saw at WOT. RPMs in the wood is what makes a saw fast. As far as cutting performance, the rev limited coil only matters if it limits below what the saw turns in the wood. The 3120 is a prime example of that. I believe the current 3120 coil limits to something like 9,500, and this 3120 I have here is turning 11,200 in the wood.

Are you sure that 11,200 in the wood will not affect longevity on a 3120??........

Im seeing this as a non GTG saw ....Just wondering .....

What is the safe RPM limit on a 3120???

Last edited:
11,200...holy smokes!

What is the mean piston speed at that RPM?

I would think about cutting the base to get that RPM down.

I suppose that's what happens when the original porter raised the exhaust and transfers so much. If I dog it in, it drops into the 10s. The saw runs and feels great. I'd hate to mess with it.

What happens if the pin bosses or skirt fail because they aren't designed to take those loads??

Remember, a work saw...

Understood. I had had a compromised P&C to start with. I'm pleased to see it running like it is. If I were starting with a new P&C, I would not have raised the exhaust at all. And I wouldn't have raised the transfers near as much as they have been. For that matter, I wouldn't have lowered the intake near as much either. Can you say "Butcher":)

Last edited:
Would you guys mind deleting your 3120 posts in this thread and copying them over into the 3120 Gone Wild thread. I think it's good conversation and would like it to be in the other thread for reference. Thanks. Keep the input coming.

All in good fun:clap: BTW, pipes don't count against muffler saws:greenchainsaw:

No, no pipes on the 5100, that is truly a fulltime work saw and part time GTG saw. It has quickly become my favorite saw to run even more than the 7900... and that says alot for me:)

Then where's my money for the 60cc class?...$$$$$$$$$$

Looks like it went in Levi's pocket:)

56-65cc 9X9 Basswood
1) Levi 1.66 361 piped
2) Levi 1.69 361 piped
3) Ericjeeper 1.78 359
4) Levi 1.84 361 piped
5) Blsnelling1.97 361BB
6) Nik (fatguy) 2.09 361
7) Brad 2.12 361BB
8) Nik 2.16 361
9) Mike Super3 2.16 262
10) Brad 2.19 361BB
11) Andyshine 2.29 (saw???)
12) Nik 2.31 361
13) Nik 2.47 361
14) Andy 2.58 (saw???)
15) Mike Super3 2.72 262
16) Jeeper 2.81 (saw???)
17) Tri955 3.06 262xp
18) Andy 3.07 MS362
19) tri955 3.10 262xp
20) Supercabs 3.40 (saw???)

No, no pipes on the 5100, that is truly a fulltime work saw and part time GTG saw. It has quickly become my favorite saw to run even more than the 7900... and that says alot for me:)

Okay then send me your 7900...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back