Bandit 1290XP Chipper. What Do You Think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beast12

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After having our laundry list of problems with our current Dynamic DC-50 we thought we would look around at some different machines and possibly look at upgrading. But, I wanted to do some research do I don't get burned...again! :(

We demoed the Rayco RC 16.5 machine a few weeks ago. Was a decent machine. It hasn't really been a proven machine though.

A Bandit dealer was in town the other day and stopped me in his travels. He said he could bring down a 1290XP chipper. Here's the website with details about it here: http://www.banditchippers.com/index.php?option=com_models&task=view&itemId=15&lineId=2&modelId=15

Here are some specs on it:

140 HP John Deere engine.
15" capacity (looks like it would handle 16 or 17" on occasion).
All LED lighting (nice touch)
Fully adjustable chute
Winch
Weighs in around 5700 pounds
Price was about $47,000 CANADIAN
It was a demo machine with about 10 hours on it (so basically new)

We demoed it today when we cut down two big oak trees. It seemed to have no problem taking anything we threw at it. I even put in a few pieces of 15" in diameter red oak about 3 or 4 feet long. Worked good.

So, I guess the question is: does anyone have one of these? Or has anyone heard anything about one of these? I am just wondering about long term reliability and maintenance. Give me anything you know.

IF the numbers work out we could MAYBE get one of them within a week. Just got to figure out how to get out of our current lease with our Dynamic DC-50. :(

-Matt

Last edited:
we have a 1590 and it is only a couple $$ more then a 1290 and a lot more chipper for $$ before you buy try both !!!! :cheers:

Well, that's why we looked at the 1290 as opposed to the 150, 200 or 250XP. They were disc chippers but they did 12" material.

I don't think we will need much more than 15" because we sell a lot of firewood. Anything bigger than 15" or so and we start getting into bringing out our skid steer anyways.

How is you 1590 holding up? Any problems with it at all? What engine do you have in in? Any info I could use would be good. :)

-Matt

Back