Bandit 990XP, Morbark 12r or Vermeer BC1000xl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which one would you choose? Which have you run? What options do you find are a must, what engine options are a must? Any insight is great. Looking to upgrade my chipper (BC1000xl) and at this point I'm thinking Chevy, Ford, Dodge. They all work well but which is better whith what options and why?
:cheers::bringit:

Bandit

I've never run a morbark 12r, but I've had 2 bandit 990's. get the biggest motor, with the winch if you plan on chipping any decent wood. The 84 hp Kubota just doesn't cut it. we have 90 something perkins know, much better. Night and day over the bc100. Bandit anyway over Vermeer.

In all honesty, I'd probably go with a 12R... and I know absolutely nothing about the machine. Ran a 990 a couple of times, and was NOT impressed, samd with the BC1000. Maybe the 990 I ran had an 84 hp engine and that was the problem? If you're in the market though... I heard about a really good deal on a used 1590.

I've had the bc1000xl and I dont think the 990xp is an upgrade, more a lateral step. I know nothing about the morbark. I went from the bc1000xl to a 250XP with the 120 perkins turbo diesel and that was definitely a big upgrade for me. It's heavier, but the infeed is 12x19 and it has lift and crush. The 120 turbo is awesome, the autofeed almost never kicks in. It uses surprisingly little fuel also. You can get them as single axle or dual axle, I got the single axle and it gets into tight spaces.

What is it about the vermeer you are not liking? Are you doing logs often and it can't keep up? service/parts cost? Just not quick enough on brush? It is the lightest machine in its class.

Shaun

When I bought it, I bought it used and returned the machine to as near factory as I could. Runs great,no problems. It's old, 2002 with 1300 hrs and about time for an upgrade I think. Looking to get the best possible machine for what I do, mostly smaller trees, rarely over 14" trunk. Whatever I buy, it'll be mine for a long time. I don't use it much but do want a quality machine.

The 250 is a tough machine but I don't like the disks. Drum is my choice and from what I understand from the dealers, thats the way the industry is leaning anyway. Might be a sales pitch though.

You'll do fine with the 990xp 85 perkins. I'd get the hydro option on the discharge chute though, wish I had.

When I bought it, I bought it used and returned the machine to as near factory as I could. Runs great,no problems. It's old, 2002 with 1300 hrs and about time for an upgrade I think. Looking to get the best possible machine for what I do, mostly smaller trees, rarely over 14" trunk. Whatever I buy, it'll be mine for a long time. I don't use it much but do want a quality machine.

The 250 is a tough machine but I don't like the disks. Drum is my choice and from what I understand from the dealers, thats the way the industry is leaning anyway. Might be a sales pitch though.

1300 is low hours for a bc1000xl. The dealer was telling you right about everyone abandoning disk. People are becoming more fuel conscious, and a drum machine gets by with less horsepower for the same infeed. They're also a little more tolerant to less than perfectly sharp blades, and the gap between the feed rollers and the drum is less than it is on a disk machine, so less space for crud to pile up and get jammed. On the plus side for the disks, they really pack the chip in tight, and put out a better quality of chip so long as the blades are sharp. Was there something in particular you didn't like about disks?

Bandits in general seem to last a long time, need less servicing, and are cheaper to get parts for and easier to work on. On the flipside, I found vermeers hold their value better. The bc1000XL I had was getting repaired/serviced every month or two. With the (much older!) 250xp, it never seems to have any problems, and it takes a pounding.

@nctree, does the hydro option do up/down as well as left/right?

Every now and then I think it would be nice to have a winch, but not very often. On bigger jobs I get in a guy with an 1890 with a winch, and every time we use it I remember why I don't really need one. They just tear the hell out of peoples lawns, and they're really not that quick. It works out just fine if you've got an 18" machine, and you get a job with a bunch of small to medium trees that you can chip whole and the site has good access. It's a two man job then - fall, winch, chip. Nice and simple and very little mess or effort needed. Those sort of jobs are very rare though, I maybe get 2 or 3 a year like that. Most of the trees that would fit whole into a 250xp can be dragged there by a couple guys, or you could cut them into 2 or 3 pieces. I think it's not really worth getting a winch on a 12" machine.

Shaun

The winch was an option on the bandit but it was close to $4K. Not worth it. The one I have priced comes with a Perkins 84.5 hp. As you said, 1300 hrs is low. I just don't want to continue to use it and find it has NO worth someday when I want to trade. Seems now is a good time.

Anyone have any input on the new Tier 4 engines? If I wait, is it worth it to wait for the tier 4 or stay with a tier 3 if I can? One of the prices, the vermeer is with a tier 4i, a toned down Cummins B3 from 84 hp to 74 hp.

The winch was an option on the bandit but it was close to $4K. Not worth it. The one I have priced comes with a Perkins 84.5 hp. As you said, 1300 hrs is low. I just don't want to continue to use it and find it has NO worth someday when I want to trade. Seems now is a good time.

Anyone have any input on the new Tier 4 engines? If I wait, is it worth it to wait for the tier 4 or stay with a tier 3 if I can? One of the prices, the vermeer is with a tier 4i, a toned down Cummins B3 from 84 hp to 74 hp.

While I am not up on the cost of adding a winch to a chipper during build, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the feature is worth whatever the cost. As far as tier 3 vs. 4... get a tier 3 if you can.

Bandit or Morbark, I don't like Vermeer's. Never had a Bandit, but Davey has them, they are pretty freakin sweet. I had 5 250xp's and a 1590 with a winch. Nice machines. I have had Vermeer's, always had problems, have had 4 Morbarks, love them. Plus Bandit and Morbark are way better at service and parts. I have a Vermeer dealership right around the corner, takes them days to get parts. I use Alexander Equip in Chicago, 200 miles away, call to order parts, ALWAYS have them the next day by 11 am.

As far as repairs go, I got to thinking and yes, a while back I did say that repairs come as time wears parts out, refering to replacing the drum and bearings in my Vermeer but then it dawned on me, they wore out after 500 hours. Thats not good. Entire new machine is warrantied for 1 year. Extended warrantys for engine the rest of the machine available at a price. Right now, 33 list and 9 trade so down t 24 so far.
Doing my research on the Bandit shows that they are heavy duty drums and according to the sales rep, he's never had to replace a drum. Maybe not. CAT motor warranty on the Bandit is great too. Don't know about the rest of the machine though. 36 list minus 8 trade, 28 so far.
Morbark is going to get back to me soon. A far as dealerships, everything is two hours away but the Morbark salesman is hinting to me that the repairman comes to me for repairs. Probably more money but I'll find out. I have a GREAT mechanic who can repair anything so unless it's a factory warranty issue, I'm good.

Get the winch I let my guys get a head start on pines then we use the winch to pull apart the birds nest underneath.

I got my winch for my 250 off a totaled 1890 for 300$

Bandit or Morbark, I don't like Vermeer's. Never had a Bandit, but Davey has them, they are pretty freakin sweet. I had 5 250xp's and a 1590 with a winch. Nice machines. I have had Vermeer's, always had problems, have had 4 Morbarks, love them. Plus Bandit and Morbark are way better at service and parts. I have a Vermeer dealership right around the corner, takes them days to get parts. I use Alexander Equip in Chicago, 200 miles away, call to order parts, ALWAYS have them the next day by 11 am.

250xp has to be about the most bullet proof out of all. I've owned two and have never had one with any down time more than hours.

Been holding out for the Morbark dealer to get a demo to me.

What a flop.:msp_thumbdn:

Very much not impressed. Brought down a new machine, zero hours on it and it didn't impress at all. The murphy switch didn't work right all the time, cutting out and killing the engine and then it clogged so bad it stalled on a 10" log. 84 hp Kubota, Morbark 12R, drum chipper. No fold up feed table and the infeed throat opening is smaller than the Vermeer I have. Plus was that it has a down pressure crusher but even that didn't run right all the time.

Put the rest of the log that clogge the Morbark into my 11 year old Vermeer and it chewed it up no problem. Even the Morbark reps were impressed.

I have a 98 morbark model 13 with 2200 hours I paid 8 or 9k for and it will destroy any of the above listed machines. 125jd, beefy construction, one of the best, well built chippers I've ever run. Only thing it needs is a winch. Sorry to hear of your 12 running piss poor. Maybe find a well taken care of, older 13 like mine and go that crouse.

The new Morbark 12R weight in at 5500 lbs. The Vermeer is around 4800 lbs.

Called the Vermeer rep to get a demo asap. The Vermeer doesn't have the bells and whistles like the down pressure crusher, hydaulic lift for the infeed wheels to clean out drum and open for large logs and doesn't have dual infeed wheels. Strangely, the Morbark has a 12" capcity, a 12" x 15" opening yet has a drum only 14 1/4" wide?
The vermeer has a 20" x20" drum for a 12"x 17" opening. I also like the way the tension on the drive belt is adjusted on the Vermeer as opposed to the Morbark which in turn, drives the auto feed to work or not. The Morbark is cheaper due to a good trade on my Vermeer but what am I giving up and what am I getting?

Right now I may sound like I'm talking may way into a Vermeer but not really. I still need to see it in action. I have one but it's not the new model. I just was so let down by the Morbark that every slight dislike is magnified.

The new Morbark 12R weight in at 5500 lbs. The Vermeer is around 4800 lbs.

Called the Vermeer rep to get a demo asap. The Vermeer doesn't have the bells and whistles like the down pressure crusher, hydaulic lift for the infeed wheels to clean out drum and open for large logs and doesn't have dual infeed wheels. Strangely, the Morbark has a 12" capcity, a 12" x 15" opening yet has a drum only 14 1/4" wide?
The vermeer has a 20" x20" drum for a 12"x 17" opening. I also like the way the tension on the drive belt is adjusted on the Vermeer as opposed to the Morbark which in turn, drives the auto feed to work or not. The Morbark is cheaper due to a good trade on my Vermeer but what am I giving up and what am I getting?

Right now I may sound like I'm talking may way into a Vermeer but not really. I still need to see it in action. I have one but it's not the new model. I just was so let down by the Morbark that every slight dislike is magnified.

Thing I love about Morbark, the service. I have a Vermeer shop right around the corner, they never have parts and when they order them, it takes forever. I use a Morbark dealer in Chicago, Alexander Equipment, and get my parts the next day

Back