Bandsaw Mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Wagner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello!

I just found this site, registered and am making my first post. I have been a woodworker for a number of years now and recently became interested in making lumber out of logs. So I made the next move and went out and bought a bandsaw mill. The unit is on a trailer and can handle up to a 21" Diameter by 12 ft. long log. I have milled about 5-600 BF of ash, oak, maple and walnut so far and have gone through a few blades.(mostly from my own carelessness or imbedded steel) I will be looking forward to learning more about my new found hobby from you experts out there.

Thanks for being here!

Larry:) :) :)

Welcome to the forum Larry, and welcome fellow woodworker who wants to get lumber for the woodshop the "easy" way, as I too started milling lumber for that very reason. What kind of woodworking do you do, what do you make? What kind of bandmill did you get? Got any pics of it? I got myself a cheapo $90 metal detector, the kind used for coins etc, and it has paid for itself many times over finding tramp metal in logs before I toasted a bandsaw blade in my Ripsaw, or ripped into it with my alaskan mill. You might want to invest in one of those.

Thanks for the welcome from everyone.

My sawmill is from a small shop in mid northern Arkansas. The brand name is Mr. Sawmill. After month's of searching I found it to be the best bang for my buck. So far I'm enjoying this too much! As a woodworker I like being able to cut and prepare just the right piece for the job at hand. As for woodworking, I like several areas, including making small boxes(turned and dovetail type), small cabinets, some furniture, etc. I'm really looking forward to learning from everyone.

Thanks again for the welcome!

PS: By the way, if I'm slow at seeing a post or answering one, it's because I usually only get to look at the sight at noon at work or in the evenings after I come in from the shop.

L Wagner said:
PS: By the way, if I'm slow at seeing a post or answering one, it's because I usually only get to look at the sight at noon at work or in the evenings after I come in from the shop.

In other words you are saying you have a real job. Sometimes it seems a lot of us here don't.

L Wagner said:

:cheers: hey no worries... many of us don't necesarilly jump on here EVERY day, sometimes I'm out of town, and don't always have access to a computer.

Yes, unfortunately I have a real job, but only have about 2 1/2 years and I can spend all my time either making lumber or making things from that lumber.
Several ask for pictures and I do have some and as soon as my wife shows me how to get them into the computer and I can figure out how to post them I will. Hopefully within a week!

In reading some of the post I see most of you have some sort of chainsaw mill. I am interested in them also but, being old and I'm told decrepit:laugh: I figured the bandsaw mill to be easier. I really hope to learn how to read logs so as to get the best looking grain structure from them. So far most is just flat sawed. I'm sure all of you will answer a lot of questions for me.

Olyman

Hopefully over the weekend I'll get some better pictures than I have already(they aren't very good)and will post them along with some of lumber if someone will tell me how. As for the sawmill, I really like it. Other than the blade problems(self induced):laugh: it has performed flawlessly. I got more for my money than any other manufacturer could offer and Joe and Mike are really great to deal with.

Sawyer Rob I am new to this site and have just looked at your Mill pictures. They are great. I will upload my pictures and post a link so you can see my mill.

Latest posts

Back