Bar And Chain Oil On Sale At Menards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry:Well it figures. no menards close. I dont know if there is one in sprinfield or not. Still wouldnt pay for the trip i dont guess even if i did buy 10 gallons..... dang it

thanks ! ted, im down to 15 gallons as of now.. good oil for the price at 4.99 so will need to bring the stock back up to 40 gallons. its been a real struggle to find oil cheaper than 9.00 a gallon from menards competitors so need to get it quick!

you guys really use bar oil ?? every once in awhile i'll throw some motor oil in if i have some used stuff laying around but mostly i never use it. Ive never noticed a difference.

I bought some from Menard's last year and tried to use it over the summer and it seemed way thinner than the Stihl oil I normally use, but it would probably make a good winter oil

I agree that it does seem a little thin for summer, but it's a good weight for winter. I have enough summer weight, but was down to half agallon or so of winter weight, so I picked up a couple of gallons.

I saw the ad Sunday. This is called FVP bar oil.
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...nsaws/fvp-bar-chain-oil/p-1679723-c-10109.htm

I don't know anything about this brand. Last year they had some cheap oil on sale and before I bought it I broke the foil and stuck my finger in it and it had the viscosity of water. There appeared to be nothing to make it tacky. I put it back and left.

Right now Farm and Fleet is running Husky 30# for $7.99 and I bought some yesterday. FWIW, I like the Poulon 30# a lot too. It comes out of the bottle like snot.

I'm glad to see this thread I was wondering if using TSC or Rural King bar oil would be ok. $11 a gallon gets expensive

Rural King has there winter blend for 6.99 gal right now, I have used it before and had no issues. I would rather spend money on pre. gas and syn oil before I will spend 12 or more dollars on name brand bar oil

The brand they carried before this fvp stuff looked and smelled like used motor oil and did nothing but smoke. I wounder if this stuff is any different.
I started this year with 40 gallons of the menards brand on sale. I am down to 15 gallons from march to now, with no abnormal wear or heat issues due to their product! I will stock up again to 40 or maybe 50 gallons for next year.

I agree on the Poulan oil. It's the stickiest, slimiest stuff around. I love it.
I saw the ad Sunday. This is called FVP bar oil.
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...nsaws/fvp-bar-chain-oil/p-1679723-c-10109.htm

I don't know anything about this brand. Last year they had some cheap oil on sale and before I bought it I broke the foil and stuck my finger in it and it had the viscosity of water. There appeared to be nothing to make it tacky. I put it back and left.

Right now Farm and Fleet is running Husky 30# for $7.99 and I bought some yesterday. FWIW, I like the Poulon 30# a lot too. It comes out of the bottle like snot.

...stuck my finger in it and it had the viscosity of water. There appeared to be nothing to make it tacky. I put it back and left.

That's pretty common with "winter" or "cold weather" bar & chain oils... and once that oil starts warming-up in a warm saw, it's flat too thin. For several years I was using some stuff I really liked from the local fleet store (Chain Pro brand, $4.oo on sale) that was labeled as year 'round, summer or winter... and "thickness" changed very little with temperature. Last year they changed to a new brand called Extreme from Cross Oil Co./Martin Lubricants (still $4.oo on sale), but it comes in "Summer" grade and "Winter" grade. The winter grade is way too thin, but the summer stuff turns to pudding at temps below 30°... it flat won't pour, you can scoop it with a spoon. I mix the winter and summer grades 50:50 (or thereabouts) for cold weather, and that seems to be about right.

By-the-way... I've paid more than $5.oo for a gallon of bar oil only once (that I remember anyway) when I wasn't paying attention. A couple (maybe 3) years ago I spotted a jug of "winter" Husqvarna brand (with a red "Sale" tag above it) and tossed it in the cart with some other things at a "big-box" store; I felt corn-holed when I got home and looked at the receipt... friggin' $7.oo!! Really?? On Sale?? If'n the store wasn't 50-miles away I would have taken it back!!

http://www.crossoil.com/xtreme_outdoor_power.php

Xtreme_bar_and_chain_summer_qt.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back