Bar and Chain Oil!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a moly paste on every new bar, on its first start up use,

Funny you mention it, I was just thinking about doing that last night! I have this stuff called Lubriplate which is basically molybdenum disulfide...

I run black moly grease on the bolt carrier of my AR ... it's happy and never jams or misfeeds...

Walmart was up to almost $12/gal.

BUT their website has it for $9.35, so I ordered 25 gallons.

Tractor supply has it for 6 a gallon once in a blue it seems to be holding up in the harvester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main thing is that it is oil of some sort, as far as bar wear I can't comment between bar oil & plain engine oil because I've never bought or used bar oil, saying that I've got a bar that would have at least 500hrs on it using new engine oil & it's nowhere near worn out yet.
I'd be happy to use anything but definitely not used engine oil as that is a proven carcinogen, there was thousands apon thousands of litres of oil buried in the bush from when oil changes on machinery in logging operations were dropped into a trench dozed in the ground & then covered up, soil microbes quickly digest oil as found out in the Exxon Valdez oil spill , not to say everyone should be spraying oil everywhere but the environment can cope with microscopic amounts such as bar lube absorbed into sawdust very easily,
So many sides to this issue. Just 10 minutes of research and a quick look through the American Cancer Society web site, provides some revelation. It seems that WOOD DUST is a proven carcinogen. I didn't see a whole bunch on used oil, but that probably is also if a person drinks enough of it. So,,,,,,down the hatch!! Cheers

We use to get a drum of all season Durex bar oil for 6 a gallon, then gallon jugs ran us 6.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes why?

When I was doing firewood full time I always wanted to purchase gear oil, motor oil, bar oil in 55 gallon drums I just never got around to it.

So many sides to this issue. Just 10 minutes of research and a quick look through the American Cancer Society web site, provides some revelation. It seems that WOOD DUST is a proven carcinogen. I didn't see a whole bunch on used oil, but that probably is also if a person drinks enough of it. So,,,,,,down the hatch!! Cheers

I couldn't find anything in the ACS site. Could you provide a link? Elsewhere (NIOSH) I found studies that showed a mild increased risk for nasal carcinoma in workers exposed to wood dust, as well as a lesser risk for Hodgkin's disease. There was no clear evidence between effects of hardwood vs. softwood. The case for used motor oil is pretty well founded though, because carcinogenic aromatic combustion products as well as heavy metal combustion products have been specifically found in used motor oil. I'd wear gloves when changing oil in cars and small 4-cycle engines.

I couldn't find anything in the ACS site. Could you provide a link? Elsewhere (NIOSH) I found studies that showed a mild increased risk for nasal carcinoma in workers exposed to wood dust, as well as a lesser risk for Hodgkin's disease. There was no clear evidence between effects of hardwood vs. softwood. The case for used motor oil is pretty well founded though, because carcinogenic aromatic combustion products as well as heavy metal combustion products have been specifically found in used motor oil. I'd wear gloves when changing oil in cars and small 4-cycle engines.

Everything is bad for us.

I love the smell of two stroke in the morning, smells like we’re winning the fight against standing trees. Lol.

Cutting green timber produces 3/5 ths of FA timber dust.
Thanski

Bought a 5 gallon jug of what I thought was Farm and Fleet bar oil for $3 at a garage sale around a year ago... I just poured some in my Husqvarna 35 the other day, and instantly noticed that I got sold some jack holes dirty drain oil. So I drained all the dirty oil out, I just hope it causes no issues with the oil pick-up.

Keep looking cuz I just found it again.. A. C. S./what causes cancer from A the Z.. I'm not going to be a smart ass.. Just way too easy for me.. But I won't shy away from a good discussion..

I'm new to the chainsaw bar oil thing so I'll ask the question. I have 55 gal of good clean #68 hydraulic oil was wondering if I could use it as bar oil. Mix it or straight. I only cut 6 to 10 cords a year. Thanks for any comments

Latest posts

Back