Bar Chain oil,Laundry deterget bottles,neat idea?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Polaris 1 gallon 2 cycle oil jug for bar oil. They have a screw on spout for filling the oil tank on the 4 wheelers. When empty I just dump a whole jug of bar oil in it. But, make sure you mark it and do not put it in the wheeler. The spout is about 6 inches long and has a screw on cap at the end. Works great.
Bob

When we're clearing trails it involves more walking than cutting. I use a dish detergent bottle w/ pop top for bar oil and a couple of Nalgene quart bottles for fuel.

I have a customer that uses the detergent bottle with the spigot on it for mix fuel! I told him this was unsafe and a little scary, but he swears that there have been no problems so far.

I know some saws are harder to pour into, but for what I use the jugs the oil come in are just right for me. They usually get the high performance mod (foil tore all the way off) Just dont try to pore like it is gas.
Gas and oil are roped together for carry over shoulder if I am going into the woods. A rag, brush and etc. are clipped on the rope. IF any is spilled the rag is ready. The only time it is a problem is in really cold weather. (hardly ever)

PEST said:
Gear oil bottles with the small squeeze tip but I buy bar oil bulk.
If the quart bottle squeeze tube still can't reach the filler I use a piece of tubing pushed on to the cap nipple. The only problem is losing the little red cap and then the bottle tipping over making a mess

Pitch the little red cap. 16d nail works well, as long as you keep the bottle upright.

Back in 1980 my buddy and i were hooked on ERA soap bottles when they first came out for bar oil....Bob

I use a "toggle nozzle" that screws onto the gallon bottle. It has a 3" long or so nozzle with a 1/2" opening. No muss, no fuss, no spills, and you just push the nozzle over to one side and it seals closed. Doesn't pour fast enough? Squeeze the bottle...it will fill the cavernous insides of a 3120 or Granberg Aux oiler in no time flat.

I paid less than $2.

Mark

large tide dispencer

I've used the large tide liquid dispencer bottle with the push button (2gal.) for years as my gas can. you can stop the flow in an instant and reach most of the fill holes. dawn detergent bottle for oil.
another thought on the fuel filler is a cap from a battery filling bottle or the whole thing.

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I use Oldsaw. Wasnt sure what it was called, but it works good. I got it at Wallyworld for less than $2 I am pretty sure. My ole man laughed at it, but the oil goes just in the saw and not all over everything else. If its thicker when its cold just give the bottle a little squeeze.

NORTHERN NYer said:
Thats exactly what I use Oldsaw. Wasnt sure what it was called, but it works good. I got it at Wallyworld for less than $2 I am pretty sure. My ole man laughed at it, but the oil goes just in the saw and not all over everything else. If its thicker when its cold just give the bottle a little squeeze.

I saw that thing and thought "holy crap, that's perfect", and it fits every gallon jug of oil I've used it on. Husky, Poulan, Quaker State, store brand, etc. No spills, if you toggle it off after you are done sawing, all the oil has run back into the jug (what little there would be), and life is good.

The guys laughed at me too. Not so much anymore.

Mark

When you first buy a gallon jug of oil, DO NOT remove the foil seal on the mouth of the jug. Instead, take the handle of your scrench and jab one hole through the foil seal near the "bottom" of the opening if you were to try to pour from the jug. Then, when you go to fill your saw, you take your oil jug and squeeze it with both hands and you get a spillproof slow stream of oil out of it, almost like a ketchup bottle. Works great!

I been doin that forever,now i just pour it in there very carefully.Comes with practice.any that spills over usually just runs rite on the bar anyway.

SRT-Tech said:
i have this new fangled device called a "funnel". its really cheap too, less than 40 cents at any auto store.

Funnels are great!

Especially if you enjoy a devise thats still half way full when the oil resivour is full to overflowing!:pumpkin2:

RaisedByWolves said:
Funnels are great!

Especially if you enjoy a devise thats still half way full when the oil resivour is full to overflowing!:pumpkin2:

never had that problem, again it boils down to user control/skill, but your milage might vary. :chainsaw: :hmm3grin2orange: :buttkick: :cheers:

Freakingstang said:
you guys have way to much time on your hands to be transfering liquid from one 1 gallon container to another....
:clap: :cheers: :clap:
funny

I never realized filling the bar oil resevoir was supposed to be giving me so much trouble.

Guess I'll have to concentrate and work harder at messing it up.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back