Bar concerns on Dolmar 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnlpar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone else had any lube issues with the bar/bar wear on these 'Hot-Rods'. I know they're cranking pretty fast, I keep getting a slight lip/burr along the edge on the so called factory bar(20"). I also have an Oregon roller tip(24") that I've not noticed any problems with......though I only have about 18-20 hrs. on that bar. It's not really that noticable of a burr but I didn't know if this should be expected. I don't want to call it a problem, its more like something I noticed on one bar but not the other. Love this saw. Got rid of my Stihl 028 to get a Demo Dolmar 120s liked that so much I had to buy a 6400. Now I'm the proud owner of this 5100S. Everyone has said how much of a difference this thing is, over what they use. :clap:

I believe the bars are just rebadged Oregon bars. So if it is a problem with the bar it would be an Oregon issue. Unless the chain speed is causing it. Highly unlikely though.

I've got an 18" on mine. I've only had it out in the field twice (snow hit). Anywho, before I took it out on it's maiden voyage, I fired it up here at the house for a little break in- no wood, just ran it up and down. The oil poured out of it. So much in fact I started a thread about what I thought was a possible oil problem. Not so. Once it started snortin' sawdust, no more drips. I'll keep checking for a bur. It will most likely get one anyway, just hopefully not right away. I bought the 5100 as an improvement over an MS250. Yesterday I got a Univent 372 as an upgrade to my 044. Will the madness ever stop.

I haven't noticed any unusual problems on my 5100-S as far as bar wear goes. Maybe it just needs dressing? I have had a lip form pretty quickly on my 7900 with a 20" Husky bar when cutting in tough conditions. This same lip didn't form on my 32" Oregon bar under similar conditions. You generally find the edges harden up after a while and its not as noticable.

Has anyone else had any lube issues with the bar/bar wear on these 'Hot-Rods'. I know they're cranking pretty fast, I keep getting a slight lip/burr along the edge on the so called factory bar(20"). ....

"Wire edges" are normal - you are supposed to file them off with a raker file as needed.

Back