Bar dressing

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the bar groove cleaner that I use onsite and in the shop, so I made two of them:
Chainsaw Bar Groove Scraper1.jpg Chainsaw Bar Groove Scraper2.jpg
I actually was able to find angled steel that was 0.052" thick. Then I cut the two curved out sections to form the hooks that drop into the groove. Making tools is rewarding, provided they work well. This one does.

Philbert's Bar Edge Filing Block

View attachment 622091

OK, can't get to this right now, but maybe someone can knock one out on one of these cold days.

Philbert
Philbert, I knew there was a reason why I should never have thrown away a 10" mill bastard file than I managed to snap in half ten years ago. I could have used that here. The neat thing about your filing jig is that you can get the two sides of the bar's grooves dead on even. I doubt this has to be more than 6" long.

I'll bite.....what's pictured? Does look good.
That's a sender.
They are many different type.
You can change the abrasive to wood ore steel.
I use it for steel only with grit #80.
And because I know how, I sharpen my drills with that to and many other thinks. I love it.

Has anyone looked into trying a icescate sharpener . The have to cut even and leave no belly to work properly . Really not that much different idea than a bar . I’ve tried a tool for skies but it was one for just a quick tuneup and wasn’t aggressive enough

That's a sender.
They are many different type.
You can change the abrasive to wood ore steel.
I use it for steel only with grit #80.
And because I know how, I sharpen my drills with that to and many other thinks. I love it.

Couldn't get anywhere on google with "sender".
Thanks for the reply.

poke in "Disc Sander", for the google search.
Seems like you can find something from about $80 and up.

Just remember to check the cost and availability metal rated sanding discs for the unit you look at.

Edit: Of course, quality & durability are (usually) reflected in the prices.

08ACC5A6-624B-40BF-B87E-D61B54FBC0BF.jpeg 1C49FC29-5D98-4A28-9F2F-69EA241FC0A2.jpeg While not pretty it also didn’t cost $30. Have to replace the bolts with set screws, didn’t have set screws available. Made it from a scrap piece of nylon and trued up the 90* angle on the table saw. Drilled and tapped 1/4 20 threads and cut the file with a dremel metal cut off wheel. Works great plus I can slide the file to utilize more of the cutting surface before having to flip it.

Philbert, we need a thread or somehow a discussion devoted to replacing bar tips. Bars are still good most of the time when the sprocket tips are shot. I've replaced a dozen or more bar tips each year and then sent the bar back into service. Nobody complains after I do this. I always redress the bar at the same time.

Philbert, we need a thread or somehow a discussion devoted to replacing bar tips.
Like this one (remember) ?

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/nose-sprocket-rescue-illustrated.256640/

I just deburred a couple of bar tips the other day using a Dremel tool, and slowly moving the sprocket teeth. Much easier to get in there with the small, spinning stone than with a 6" file. Hard to keep the dust out of the bearings, but these bars really needed the attention. Maybe I can slide some thin plastic or shim stock in between the sprocket and the bar tip next time?

Philbert

Then - sanding disc in the table saw. In truth, this is a really great tool for truing up a bar but I didn't want to have to clean all of the sawdust out each time I needed to dress one.

View attachment 618406

Now, this is very handy but I actually liked the finish and ease of the table saw. Big benefit of this one is it is always ready to go.

View attachment 618405

Mark

What is “This”, & where can I get another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back