bar filing/ maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys,
I finally think I have a good handle on the chain sharpening mystery. Now I got to try to file a used bar back into shape. Is there any tricks of the trade, art of the science, books from the wizards or the like. I see that the channels in the bar are fairly straight and parallel but there seems to be a groove in the edge where the chain is riding. I assume that should be filed square and 90* to face.
How and what should I use ? Regular metal file ?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the assist.

Yes I searched but didn't find much as I am not sure if there is a specific "term". I would call it dressing the bar.?
It's a 20" Stihl from an 036 pro if it matters.

The term is "dress"...

...and there are gobs of good threads and posts about it. Essentially, use whatever tool or method you choose to keep the rails even, square, and de-burred. Very simple maintenance. Careful, though, them bastiges are sharp!!!! I've decapped a knuckle by over-stroking the file before. - skin, cartilage and all. Not cool and just a bit ouchy.

...and there are gobs of good threads and posts about it. Essentially, use whatever tool or method you choose to keep the rails even, square, and de-burred. Very simple maintenance. Careful, though, them bastiges are sharp!!!! I've decapped a knuckle by over-stroking the file before. - skin, cartilage and all. Not cool and just a bit ouchy.

wow,
never thought I would search for "dress" on a chainsaw website.
thanks I was searching "dressing". So bottom line is no specific techniques like a bastard file in one direction at a 45* across the bar but 90 to face..
Clearly I have over thought this part of the process.

cheers.

wow,
never thought I would search for "dress" on a chainsaw website.
thanks I was searching "dressing". So bottom line is no specific techniques like a bastard file in one direction at a 45* across the bar but 90 to face..
Clearly I have over thought this part of the process.

cheers.

Too funny - LMAO. Strange how, the smarter we get - the more we complicate stuff. :popcorn:

To prevent that nasty out come of bar dressing i.e. no more knuckles- I picked up a stihl bar tool yesterday, part # 5605 773 4400. Works great and after 30+ years of working saws can't understand why I did'nt think of mounting a flat file in something before !

To remove the burrs, you may want to hold the file at 45° to knock the burr down but don't go too far, you don't want to narrow the rails any more than necessary.

The tool with the file or the sanding disk in the table saw or radial arm saw will work well to square up the bar, but it still may be necessary to dress the edges with a file.

Mark

Back