Bar for MS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlyle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to buck up a wind blown oak. I first need to move it then decide what to do with it(firewood). The oak at dbh is 90 inches. Need to buck it so I can push/drag it out of a field. Could use 880 with 47" or 59" .404 but thought about putting a longer bar on a 660. I am considering a 42" Oregon Power Match .063 .375. Not sure if I should spend a little more money for a Cannon for only limited use which would be 41" bar. So the question is has anyone every run a 42" powermatch in hardwood on the end of a worked over MS660?

Thanks in Advance

Carlyle

088 bar you may find will fit on 066. Spacers on the studs would be ideal to keep the bar in place. Just make sure the oil hole still matches up. Sandvic 088 bar I just checked was no problem.

Looking to buck up a wind blown oak. I first need to move it then decide what to do with it(firewood). The oak at dbh is 90 inches. Need to buck it so I can push/drag it out of a field. Could use 880 with 47" or 59" .404 but thought about putting a longer bar on a 660. I am considering a 42" Oregon Power Match .063 .375. Not sure if I should spend a little more money for a Cannon for only limited use which would be 41" bar. So the question is has anyone every run a 42" powermatch in hardwood on the end of a worked over MS660?

Thanks in Advance

Carlyle

a 90" DBH oak....wow...i would just about have to see that to believe it...if it was the old days maybe.....

i too would go with the 088

Thanks in Advance

Carlyle

Thta is a huge tree! How about some pics?

The 660 will pull a 42" bar fine. I run a 42" Oregon on my 394 cutting softwood and it flat screams. The Oregon bars are about $80.00, a deal in my book.

If you already own the 880 I would run it though. 404 chain will make a nice wide kerf.

Thta is a huge tree! How about some pics?

The 660 will pull a 42" bar fine. I run a 42" Oregon on my 394 cutting softwood and it flat screams. The Oregon bars are about $80.00, a deal in my book.

If you already own the 880 I would run it though. 404 chain will make a nice wide kerf.

Yeah, fully agreed. The wide kerf is a good point, too. If you do run the 660, get CJX chain. That's what I run on my 42" bar for my 660. No problems. Good power for softwood.

You'll like the extra power of the bigger saw. It will take a lot of saw time to buck that up. Hopefully you have a tractor to move it around. Those rounds are going to be very heavy. Clean up the branches and start bucking from the top with the 660. About the 3' to 3 1/2' diameter mark you will want some more power.

A 660 would do it but an 880 would do it better. Also, use full skip chain for whatever saw you decide to use.

One would think the 880 would be the clear winner.

But I suspect though his 660 may have more power than his 880.:chainsaw:

That is a big oak. We have some big ones, but nothing like that. I dropped a couple for my neighbor, and one was 49" the other was 57". They made my old 076 work for it, they had been dead awhile and were super hard. Geez, I can't imagine a 90" one.
I would run the 880, unless your "worked over" 660 has more power. You're gonna need all the power you can get.
Pics of that are a must. Video of cutting it would be even better. :)

If this is a 90" dbh tree, even with a 42" bar on the 660 you still wouldnt be able to get to the center of the tree anyway so you would need to break that up some other way anyway. Correct? Why not just use the 880 and longer bar you already have?

a 90" DBH oak....wow...i would just about have to see that to believe it...if it was the old days maybe.....

i too would go with the 088

No kidding, 90", 7'-6" as I'm looking at the top of door jamb in my office I just can't imagine it. What are you going to do with it, sell it? I'm sure there is a lot of bd.ft there:)

Last edited:
Back