Bar for MS 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you sure about the 7ft + DBH?

maybe they grow em bigger over there... around here don't think I've ever seen an Oak that size, even next to the river.

I will get some pictures of the tree, but for now here is a pic from Google earth.(Too much rain and mud today) The canopy is 117 ft wide on google. I think that it was actually bigger but I never thought to measure it. Hope that this works, I am new to this stuff with screen shoots and all.
attachment.php

Timberwolf hit the nail on head about the 660 having a few extra HP. Anyways I am still going to buy the big bar, and use both 660&880 also might get a 28 reduced weight from Oregon if those PNW guys like’em so much. The butt log is about 10 feet in the air right now, and not real conducive to cutting. Without cutting what is the best way to get an actual dbh. I think that I will drop two plum lines from either side to get the truest measurement. Or would one use the circumference with a log tape and derive the diameter from there. Realize the tree still has the root flares attached.

attachment.php

DBH is measured 4 1/2 feet above the ground. In your case if you want to measure before you cut take a 10' piece of 1X1 and have somone look at the top of the stick and them mark the bottom with a lumber crayon taped to a stick or a piece of conduit. The secnd person will have to stand back a ways to see the full diameter.

http://phytosphere.com/treeord/measuringdbh.htm

I would if allowable like to retrack my 90" until measured, SORRY. But I do have this one for ya from today.

In 1973 it measured 18'9" Cir.
114' height
120' spread

Today all I have is circumference at 21'2". I need a helper to measure some dbh's like suggested. I have a few more to post at a later date.

It was raining today at a good clip.

Carlyle

attachment.php

21'2'' is about 80" dbh. Assuming the circumference is measure at breast height.

I would if allowable like to retrack my 90" until measured, SORRY. But I do have this one for ya from today.

In 1973 it measured 18'9" Cir.
114' height
120' spread

Today all I have is circumference at 21'2". I need a helper to measure some dbh's like suggested. I have a few more to post at a later date.

It was raining today at a good clip.

Carlyle

attachment.php

so this is the tree to be cut? or one one that was blown over? or is it the same one at different times

80" dia. = 20'-11 1/4" circum.

90"dia. = 23'-6 3/4"circum.

21'-2" circum.= 80.85"/6'-8 3/4"dia.

i dont usually do this ,but you can borrow my massive poulan 2150 with the 16" bar if your comfortable with all that power .....i'll understand if you cant muscle this beast

Looks like you'll need a 72" bar on that 880, of course you'll have to over-buck a little. :D

Nice tree.... I'd love to be there for that one, got a 48" on an 084 that would loooove a piece of that tree. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back