Bar oil blob.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
10F wind chill 19 below zero. Filled the saw with gasoline and went to do the bar oil and it was a big huge blob. Is TSC frame pride brand. Took it in the furnace room and put it in the kettle of hot water for a bit so it would pour.
Decided I should cut it some for future use but other than diesel Not sure what to use. also wonder about separation too rather than staying mixed. I worry about those cheap plastic oil pump gears too being to cold.

:D Al

most of us here in the north land have this set back at least once a year. what I have done is to take a quart out of a new jug and replace it with a quart of tranny fluid! mixed well and left for a day near a heat source. while using the lube I also keep it in the warm truck for my next tank full ready to go! using this jug of bar lube? only for such days that are few and far between being that cold to be out cutting...

Well, golly gee. I live in the south and even here I know to keep the bar oil where it is warm. Staring at my jug on a shelf here in the room with the stove going. I only ever add warm oil to start with, then try to keep it warm.

Up there, I would put the hot jug from where it is warm in the house, to inside a small cooler, like a six pack cooler, then that cooler inside a big plastic chest cooler, maybe with the other oddball gear. Keep it warm, no probs once running the saw. Couple two buck yard sale coolers, no big deal. When I lived up north I always did this with my bar oil, keep it in the cabin so it was always warm, ready to rock, it just seemed proper and all.

When the Germans invaded Russia back in WW2 their gun oil was jamming their rifles. The Russians thinned their oil down with gasoline. I do the same for my saw this time of the year.

When the Germans invaded Russia back in WW2 their gun oil was jamming their rifles. The Russians thinned their oil down with gasoline. I do the same for my saw this time of the year.

Latest posts

Back