Bar oil necessary?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF is bar oil? Do you have to oil the bar every time you use it??? I just put 2 stroke oil in the "oil" reservoir and gasoline in the fuel reservoir. I set the little screw on the underside of the clutch cover to mix the two at a decent ratio.

Hahaha now that **** is funny !

My processed uses aw32 for bar oil. Seems to work fine. I have over 800hrs on the bar, still probably 40-50%.

I'm wondering if there is any downside to running motor oil as bar oil on a short (14" to 16") bar for some light cutting. Is the tackifier really necessary for this application?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you referring to NEW or USED motor oil ? there are many posts on this subject with for & against's with both grades My view for it's 2p worth new is ok for short periods used NO under any circumstances but others will advise you different

I was talking about new. Years ago I used to run used in my old Homelite XL-12 but would no longer consider running used as an option.
I was just wondering if the tackiness really contributed anything on a short bar with light use.
Was thinking in a McScrooge moment it might be slightly cheaper route to go even though I've got a good stock of bar oil I bought when it was still relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should try using new motor oil, I doubt you will find any differences other than maybe costing less if you use a no name brand.
Slipinski

I guess I'm guilty of using filtered burnt oil, that's all I used to use, never knew of bar oil. Dad always ran Quaker State Super Blend in his Homie Super XL12.. All we use now is bar oil, but we never had any problems with bar and chain wear back then. He used 10w30 in his fuel mix and I used 2S oil in mine. Buy the way, my old Poulan still runs with the same old bar that came with it from the mid 80's.

Steve

There is something to the theory of having the oil sling off the bar ends being a good thing for the bar and chain. I have ended up using thinned out bar oil by choice, some tack is a good thing however most actual bar lubes seem to be waaaaaay stickier than needed or in my opinion is even useful for sprocket tipped bars and typical chains. I am guessing that it ended up being that way for health and environmental reasons. Having said that the hard tips especially bow bars make good use of stickier oils, especially on the faster saws. Weird that the oils got stupid sticky when most folks lost interest in that type of bar.

My processor uses aw32 for bar oil. Seems to work fine. I have over 800hrs on the bar, still probably 40-50%.
Fixed. Stupid auto uncorrect!

Work on saws everyday. Can spot a "dirty engine oil" saw from 10ft away. Lot of times come in with burned up bar, oil pump shot or clogged.

Once warmed up, bar oil isn't that thick... I also notice my old 034 oils and slings more than my new 590.

Recently we have had some of the tree guys here in Ontario reporting back they the Ministry of the Environment is checking to see if they are using proper bar and chain oil. They have also stated that they maybe mandated to use a more bio friendly oil in the near future. Just last week the local super market had 2 liters of vgggie oil for 1.99 and I got a few cases. ( mixed in with my horses feed ) I will give that a go and see how that runs.

How does one keep veggie oil from congealing in cooler temps though?
Why should it congeal more than any other oil?

You can easily do an experiment and steal from your wife the veggie oil bottle from the kitchen and put it into the freezer to see how much her brand suffers from an overnight freezing. Personally I don't want to go cut at more severe temperatures. You might get some strange looks but just say you were doing as that strange austrian fellow told you and everything will be fine... :laugh:

Have had veggie oil freeze. Not sure what temp it actually freezes at, but much warmer than normal winter temps.

Just checked in a german biofuel thread. Their comment:
pure canola oil: -10°C completely fluid, -18°C completely frozen

Don't want to be working outdoors at temps below -10 anyhow. ;)

Why should it congeal more than any other oil?

You can easily do an experiment and steal from your wife the veggie oil bottle from the kitchen and put it into the freezer to see how much her brand suffers from an overnight freezing. Personally I don't want to go cut at more severe temperatures. You might get some strange looks but just say you were doing as that strange austrian fellow told you and everything will be fine... :laugh:

I've had cooking oils congealed at the cabin when we get there and fire up the stove. Sometimes it's a point above 32 degrees Fahrenheit

It won't hurt a single thing. I have a cousin that uses used motor oil in all his saws, right up to 36" bars but most use is on 24" bars.

Latest posts

Back