Bar oil prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use pure canola oil, but only on chainsaws with bar length up to max. 18 inch and only in regular use saws. The "seldom use" saws (like once a year) only get mineral oil.

Had to find a full length bar cover for the 32" on dolly, because was worried the dog was going to cut his tongue. Here, canola is about NZ$50/20L, so I guestimate that's about $6 a gallon?

20 Liters is 5.3 US gallons. The NZD is $0.65USD, so that is (calculator) $6.13 USD per gallon, yes. That is about the same price as the not on-sale price here for canola.WalMart and WinCo sell it as a loss leader here on sale to get us in the door. Which works for me.

Never thought about the dog licking the bar oil off the bar. I keep the saws in the shop locked up. Mostly to prevent theft, but it keeps the dog and cat out.

One litre of canola oil here is around 1.5€, the cheapest mineral chain oil I can find at regular price is aout 20€ for 5 litres = 4€ / l.

That is insane! €1.00 Euro is 'only' $1.08 USD now, but that is a whopping $15.42 USD per gallon, about 3x the price we pay here.

Apart from canola now being used to cut diesel, the chief driver was the fact, when diesel fuel was expensive and canola cheap, lots of people were putting oil in their cars.
This is tax evasion, but short of start seizing cars and analyzing the contents of the tank (ah!) there was no way of stopping them. So they did the sensible thing: they jacked canola price so much as to make using it as fuel economically unfeasible, even should diesel price double. ;)

I bought a Gallon to try from True Value. Had to check twice . Thought i had an old V-8 oil burner smoke/chokin' me bad...
Winter (or any tine of the year) cutting shouldn't heat the oil or bar and make smoke cannot be good

Uh, are you sure that's not just steam? Winter or not there is still plenty of heat produced by friction and it heats up the water/frost in green wood to the steam point.

If it is actually smoke I would be very leery of a break in the crankcase if you are using a plastic cased saw.

I like the "chain guard" brand, I get it for about $2 a quart. It's not as cheap as the low grade oil but about $4 cheaper a gallon than the Stihl and it has the exact same consistency as the premium stuff. The cheap oil is way too runny and not tacky at all...

Uh, are you sure that's not just steam? Winter or not there is still plenty of heat produced by friction and it heats up the water/frost in green wood to the steam point.

If it is actually smoke I would be very leery of a break in the crankcase if you are using a plastic cased saw.

I like the "chain guard" brand, I get it for about $2 a quart. It's not as cheap as the low grade oil but about $4 cheaper a gallon than the Stihl and it has the exact same consistency as the premium stuff. The cheap oil is way too runny and not tacky at all...
I am guessing the bar oil was mostly motor oil. DO know it was way different than I like. felt ok was not red but I was getting low. I might try the menards as wood doc was saying jess for grins our local saw guy up the street got tired of working on saws last October at 90 years of age he died at his desk. Won't need to patronize him now.
I went back to the red oil from poulan. Smoke AND SMELL went away..
I was using one of my 056 magnum II Stihls (Magnesium) 24" b/c on a 26" dead Burr Oak log
It was SMOKE from the b/c Reminded me of the old chevy boom truck back in the days(years).

What can antone tell me about the Tractor Supply Chain Oil? I bought 2 gallons the other night, not knowing if it is any good or not. The price was right.

Most bar oil out there is just 30wt based non-detergent motor oil with a tackifier added to make it stick to the bar better. Some have added dye so you can see it better. That is pretty much all there is to it. Winter bar oil is 10wt based, o/w its the same.

Apart from canola now being used to cut diesel, the chief driver was the fact, when diesel fuel was expensive and canola cheap, lots of people were putting oil in their cars.
This is tax evasion, but short of start seizing cars and analyzing the contents of the tank (ah!) there was no way of stopping them. So they did the sensible thing: they jacked canola price so much as to make using it as fuel economically unfeasible, even should diesel price double. ;)

Sad that. Diesels were originally intended to burn peanut oil. Similar things are happening here though. They are trying to figure out how to tax electric cars, and tax diesels that run on used restaurant fryer oil. Neither pay gas taxes. They have a blend here now called bio-diesel that is veggie oil based, but sold at gas stations and taxed. That is an attempt to get the greenies to buy taxed fuel rather than scavenge fryer oil to save the planet. Gas is getting so cheap here now that no one cares any more about fuel prices. Its under $2 a gallon again for the first time since '08.

Latest posts

Back