Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THALL10326 said:
Yup it be big for sure. Funny part is the whole place is manicured. Everything is just so so, not a leaf on the ground, not a gravel on the hard top. Spic and Span is a understatement for that place. They just dumped another 70 million dollars in it to make of all things a simple bar. Won't be long the bars will say made in USA...................

Do they ever have open house or something like that? sounds like something i would like to see.

lovetheoutdoors said:
Do they ever have open house or something like that? sounds like something i would like to see.

Yup they sure do. Everything done though is done by way of planning. They have a tour guild that will take you through the place but it all has to be planned in advance. I've been through it twice, once was a grand tour of me, a lady friend and the guild. I never seen so much machinery in my life. I'm going back next year for updates. Should be intersting to see what all new stuff they have added since the last time I was there............

THALL10326 said:
Yup it be big for sure. Funny part is the whole place is manicured. Everything is just so so, not a leaf on the ground, not a gravel on the hard top. Spic and Span is a understatement for that place. They just dumped another 70 million dollars in it to make of all things a simple bar. Won't be long the bars will say made in USA...................

Makes sense - quality breeds quality. Big part of it is attitude. You can have the best equipment made, but if the workers aren't quality minded, your product will probably still be mediocre.

I'm not surprised their rating is 99.7 or higher. If you think about it, 1% is pretty bad. That means each year, you go home to the wrong house at least 3 times.

buzz sawyer said:
Makes sense - quality breeds quality. Big part of it is attitude. You can have the best equipment made, but if the workers aren't quality minded, your product will probably still be mediocre.

I'm not surprised their rating is 99.7 or higher. If you think about it, 1% is pretty bad. That means each year, you go home to the wrong house at least 3 times.

Odd you bring up the workers. Thats all we heard down there, our people, our workers, our team. Stihl makes it no secret that they strive off the people, not the machinery. We were told to watch the workers as we went through the buildings. I never saw such a huge number of people all smiling and steadily working. We was told what you see is Stihl, meaning the people, not the machinery. Was interesting to see such a huge team of workers all working together and not a frown in the place. It was impressive to say the least.....

About time a company actually has the balls to build a major factory in the US...cant say that about most saw companies :deadhorse:

lawnmaniac883 said:
About time a company actually has the balls to build a major factory in the US...cant say that about most saw companies :deadhorse:

The wild part is the amount of money they are spending. A year or so ago they built a new research and development center in Germany at a cost of 50million. Now its another 70 million to add a bar making set up at Va Beach. Thats not pocket change for any saw company. I did see some pics of the Dolmar factory and its nice too, real nice. It looked great in the pics, no doubt about it. I've never seen any pics of the Husky factory but I'm sure its up to par with the rest of the saw pack. Stihl however seems to be the one pouring out the bucks to advance and and make more products in the USA. The bar maiking thing will add 300 more Amercian jobs along with the 1300 already at Va Beach. I'm sure Dolmar and Husky are motivated as well but I don't get any info on them so I can't say what they're up to..............

lawnmaniac883 said:
Whats more interesting is more companys are moving south.
Are the Sthil workers Union

manual said:
Whats more interesting is more companys are moving south.
Are the Sthil workers Union

Good question, the answer is yes and no. Here in the USA they are not, in Germany they are. Might explain all the investment by Stihl at Va Beach. I took the liberty to ask the guy that was taking us through the place about the employee's and their jobs. He said Stihl never wants anyone to leave period. He said everytime a machine takes the place of a job once done by human that human is placed somewhere within the company, never let go. They had a minor lay off a few years back, 1980, only 26 years ago. Since then they have had no lay offs and have continued to grow at a rate unheard of at Va Beach. They gave us some numbers that I have long forgotton but it was amazing how much that place has grown...............

A few post back about saw chain you said that the was USA steel.
Now are all the parts for the saws made in the USA. MAde in the USA?

DO they also make the trimmers, blowers, ect. Here too?

manual said:
A few post back about saw chain you said that the was USA steel.
Now are all the parts for the saws made in the USA. MAde in the USA?

DO they also make the trimmers, blowers, ect. Here too?

Trimmers , blowers, saws, drills, pole prunners and alot of models are made in Va Beach. The chain is made out of steel from Pa. Parts are made from many vendors from all over the world to Stihl design and specs. All companies have certain parts made elsewhere. To prove that, on BMW and Porche there is some plastic moldings made by guess who, Stihl. Stihl also manufactures alot of parts for other companies as well, not just car makers. Stihl does alot of manufacturing no one knows anything about. Saws is their trademark though, the saws have made their name known worldwide.

Freakingstang said:
I know this is another oil thread, but I have always ran the walmart oil in the green bottle. (can't say the word that starts with a P!). I've never had a problem with it until recently. I don't know if it is the combination of the wood and the oil, or just the oil or what. Lately (last 4-6 gallons of the poulan mix) has turned my freshly sharpened chains black in short time (oiler adj to max), like the oil is burning. The only things that have changed recently are the speed at which the chain is moving (modded and bigger sprockets). I noticed it when I switched to square filed, cutting cookies in milled square cants (no bark to have mud in!). I've gone back to round filed on a couple chains, as I thought it might have been due to my sharpening technique, but the round still "gums" up and is still slower than the square filed, so I think it is the oil. I'm gonna try some Stihl oil and see if there is a difference.

-Steve

I think this is the stuff. I've been using it too...it doens't seem watery.

The oil in the green jug sold at Walmart, at least in my area [Colorado] is labeled "Poulan." Since I began this thread about it, I have given my bottle of Poulan away to, get this, an mechanic who uses no bar oil in his saw...uses it only very little around his yard, small stuff. I hassled him about this [he just buys a new cheap bar/chain and replaces it when it's toast]. I said, hand my your dang saw and I'm putting this in, it's better than nothing at all.

Anyway, thanks to all for the input and I've had zero trouble with either Stihl or Echo bar oil now and they appear identical.

So Thall, should I stock up on the german made bars? I hope quality of the steel doesn't suffer. We all know that oregons wear just looking at them.....

-Steve

Freakingstang said:
So Thall, should I stock up on the german made bars? I hope quality of the steel doesn't suffer. We all know that oregons wear just looking at them.....

-Steve

You won't notice the difference. The steel used will be the same grade and treatment. Might even be the exact same steel as much of it comes from the USA anyhow! The other reason Stihl gave for the new bar factory was that it was almost impossible to buy enough land to build the same facility in Germany, and too many restrictions.

SteveH said:
The oil in the green jug sold at Walmart, at least in my area [Colorado] is labeled "Poulan." Since I began this thread about it, I have given my bottle of Poulan away to, get this, an mechanic who uses no bar oil in his saw...uses it only very little around his yard, small stuff. I hassled him about this [he just buys a new cheap bar/chain and replaces it when it's toast]. I said, hand my your dang saw and I'm putting this in, it's better than nothing at all.

Anyway, thanks to all for the input and I've had zero trouble with either Stihl or Echo bar oil now and they appear identical.

yeah, I got it at Walmart too. It sounds to me like the problem with this oil is quality control and some of it is not service worthy.

Freakingstang said:

-Steve
Stang no fear, the bars will be the same quality, only made here. Its amazed me when they told us how much it was going to cost to do them over here, I was like for a bar, dayummmmmmmmmmmmm.

SteveH said:

I don't Know where MY Jonsered Dealer got this bar oil at.
It reads Poulan Pro Bar and chain oil comes in a black jug. and is dyed red.
Very good stuff. Funny thing was The dealer said it is the same as Echo's Bar oil. Hmmmmmm?

Well I just did a search on this topic as I have an issue with my bars. I though the same thing that bar oil is bar oil. Had some wood to cut today, with in 4 cuts and a freshly sharpened chain.. the side of the wood is black..

Time for me to switch to a better quality bar oil... before I burn up another bar... been there done that with one bar just lately.. but some of the wood I was cutting took me a full tank of gas for 4 cuts.. and trying to move it around afterwards.. lol...

Thanks for the confirmation

Pete

As you can see gslam88, Talking about bar oil can and will open a can of worms.
The end result is however Use a good high tack bar oil. And stay away from your local grocerie stores' Veggie Oil.
Welcome to the site.

with in 4 cuts and a freshly sharpened chain.. the side of the wood is black..
Bar oil isnt your problem. You could run the saw with no oil and what you described wouldnt happened. Your chain is dull causing the heat that is charring the wood and burning up your bars.

Back