Bar oilers: Too much? Too little? Just right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonprophet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My main two saws right now are my Husky 55 and my Stihl 440 Magnum. When using the 440, if I hold the chain near the face of a cut log and rev it, it sprays oil pretty well onto the log, but when using the Husky I see no oil spray. They both empty the bar oil tank at roughly the same time the fuel tank empties, and, the Husky b&c don't show any signs of overheating and/or unnecessary wear, so.......should I worry or just keep running them the way they are?

Last edited:
All of my saws will leave marks like that as well. Keep an eye on the oiling on the Husky. I know of a few that have stripped the plastic oil drive gear. It's a pretty simple fix, but can toast a chain and bar in a hurry.

It seems pretty obvious that the husky lacks the chain speed needed to overcome the viscosity of the bar oil.:msp_tongue:

my one and only major complaint of my stihl saws. 026's oil pretty good, ms260/261 are just ok. i wish they would put out more oil is all. i feel a saw should near empty the oil tank when it is out of fuel. i know stihl does it for environmental reasons, but i hate it! seems if we try anything but stihl oil the problem is worse.

The 55 has a crank driven oiler. One on my only complaints about that series. Start it up and let it idle for a minute or two. Then take the tip of the bar and put it near something and rev the saw up. It will FLING oil off if it is pumping. The oil pump runs on that saw any time it is started. If you let it sit and idle, it will pump out a pool of oil in a fairly short time.

Latest posts

Back