Bar Oils,What Brand/What Price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not looking to start a fight with users of either type of bar lube, saw (or ATV, snowmobile, lawnmower, etc.) users, Sonny in particular, or anyone else, but just want to point out a few observations. A spirited debate, though, I welcome.

Let's assume that indeed the exhaust emissions cause greater environmental damage than bar lube. I cannot cite studies that prove or disprove this, but we'll take it as given for the time being.

Additionally, let's assume that the total bar lube that is discharged into the environment by all saw users over time is greater than the ability of the environment to assimilate that waste, resulting in an environmental accumulation. Here, I find this somewhat difficult to swallow, as a balanced woodland environment is surprisingly resilient, and able to process waste materials, but it is certainly possible to exceed the assimilative abilities of a particular area.

However, both assumptions are indepent of one another. It does not matter which aspect causes a relatively greater environmental impact, since both the use of bar lube and the exhaust emissions do cause impacts. These combination of the impacts can then be looked at.

The point is, since both aspects cause impacts, and individuals with even a shred of environmental morality should seek to minimize environmental impacts where they can, a concientous person will try to minimize the use of materials or practices that are known to be harmful.

Note that I said, "where they can." There are times that because of constraints on money, time, or technology, we must all use products or utilize practices that we know to be harmful, or more harmful than another alternative, but cannot avoid. I do it myself.

I do applaud the individuals and firms that use vegetable-based oils, and mix their fuel to the recommended ratios. I know it's an overused catch-phrase, but "think globally, act locally."

Wow, CM that was well said. I guess I am part of the problem. I dont know if I will change my behavior, but it was well put.

I am surprised that a vegetable oil would cost more than a petroleum product. But I guess milk cost more than petroleum, too.

Treeman14, you got me. I dont have a reply to your statement. I hope the idea will catch on so the price drops. If the price dropped considerably, then I think you will see plenty more use it. I know you already said it in a previous post, that it would drop if we used it. I just dont know enough guys out there that will pay $20 more a gallon.

Just to add a little perspective:

Evian bottled water - 9 oz. costs $1.49

That's $21.19 per Gallon for WATER!!! HMMMM. :eek:

"What is Evian spelled backwards?"
-George Carlin

Oh, before I forget, I wont be able to grace you chainsaw freaks with my presents, since I am off to the Wild, Wild West, however, I am sure someone will fill in for me while I am gone though.
I should be back by this coming Tues., unless I end up in jail.

Oh, I see, giving away all my connections!
In actuality, I am attending a seminar/workshop/ feasability study on tapping the Big Leaf Maple of the Pacific Northwest for commercial purposes. When really all I want is figured grain in the roundwood form for export to the US of Eh!
Honey is honey sweet, however the hiving.
John

Tractor Supply Company. 2 gallons for $5.00, saw it in their ad yesterday. That's .62 cents a quart. I don't know of anywhere you can motor oil for that off the shelf. I think that's regular price. It's got a lot of "tack" to it.
Grateful

TSC Bar Oil

I was at my Vermeer dealer today drooling over the climbing gear and they have Husky brand bar oil for $3.75 per gallon. That's about $4 cheaper per case than the Stihl oil at my saw shop. Do you think I can run Husky bar lube in a Stihl saw? :p

Run the Husky oil, at 3.75 thats a deal. I am paying 4.00 x 6 gals per week, can't afford the green oil:eek:
Ed K

I buy bar oils by the cases from a local oil distributer. Comes at about $3.25 per gallon. Seems like its a different brand almost every time.
I don't know that it makes much difference as long as it is clean oil and has some tackifier (spell?) in it.

You would have to do some very expensive designed experiments to determine the difference in wear from one bar oil to the next. Whats the use worrying about it just get something inexpensive and go with it. (Bar oil I'm talking about, not 2 cycle)

I agree, Tony. The only reason I've been using Stihl bar oil is because my dealer has it and it's a fairly reasonable price ($26 per case). I'm not into running all over town or standing in line at Wal-Mart to find something a little cheaper, and one good thing about the Stihl bar lube is consistent quality. It is always the same and it works.
Since I found a better deal at another shop I frequent, I'll switch and save $4 per case. But at some point the inconvenience of chasing the cheapest price all over town isn't worth the savings. I'll stop short of driving to the flea market and wandering around for 2 hours to save a couple bucks.
:)

Remember, most of these guys are talking U.S. dollars. I can get bar oil at walmart or TSC here for about 6 bucks (4 litre jug)

Latest posts

Back