Bar stud adapters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking to acquire a couple of the old Homelite S shaped spring steel bar stud adapters or any other type that will increase 5/16/8mm stud to 3/8/10mm barslot, tried the 4coils of spring but not really doing the job properly. If no joy will have to bug**r about & make some, but if anyone can point me in the right direction to obtain some, so much easier,Tried the search for the member that makes some but came up blank. Thanks, Al.

Homelite410 makes the nice adapters.

The below "poor boy" adapters are easy to make, and it is hard to find the OEMs #69966 or #64448 anymore.

The difference is 0.0625" , and 0.0313" is half, for the sheet metal thickness that wraps around the stud on both
bottom & top. If you weren't so far away, I'd send a few strips out for making them.

Find a sheet metal shop and have him shear off some standard galvanized 20 gauge, .034" thk, at 3/16" wide strip
which is roughly the bar thickness. Measure the stud centers and add about 2.35" (two 3/8" circumferences) for the
overall length. Wrap that around a pencil or drill bit to form the ends of the S adapter. The only difference is that these are
not the harder heat treated spring steel, but are mild steel. I've yet to see any wear on one though.

If you have a torch and a helper, then you can use spring steel strip to make them.

a5ec_1_sbl_1_medium.jpeg

Should be little charge or free from his scrap pile.

Homelite410 makes the nice adapters.

The below "poor boy" adapters are easy to make, and it is hard to find the OEMs #69966 or #UP07407 anymore.

The difference is 0.0625" , and 0.0313" is half, for the sheet metal thickness that wraps around the stud on both
bottom & top. If you weren't so far away, I'd send a few strips out for making them.

Find a sheet metal shop and have him shear off some standard galvanized 20 gauge, .034" thk, at 3/16" wide strip
which is roughly the bar thickness. Measure the stud centers and add about 2.35" (two 3/8" circumferences) for the
overall length. Wrap that around a pencil or drill bit to form the ends of the S adapter. The only difference is that these are
not the harder heat treated spring steel, but are mild steel. I've yet to see any wear on one though.

If you have a torch and a helper, then you can use spring steel strip to make them.

a5ec_1_sbl_1_medium.jpeg

Should be little charge or free from his scrap pile.

I couldn`t begin to tell anyone how many of those I have made in over 50 years of chainsaw repair, tin snips and a sheet of galv. steel of the right thickness will get the job done.

Hotshot,& Pioneerguy600, thanks for the heads up & advice guys I had thought of doing that, but as the originals were spring steel, I didn`t know if ordinary MS would do the job. Seeing as you have done a couple or so between you in MS, & they worked OK I` ll go down that route. will have to be slightly different as it`s for an Alpina Prof 66 to take a Oregon 196 bar, but it has a small dome head allen screws to hold the inner & outer bar plates in place, but I can sort something out to do the job. Again thanks for your input.

Back