Baraboo WI Old saw display / contest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a shot of Scott's McCulloch 250/Mc92 hot saw, only hot saw that ran today and I may be premature but likely the winner of the hot saw run on Saturday.

attachment.php

Mark

You were premature alright.:blush: :blush:

Bill was tellin me about that show. It looks like a lot of fun. That BP1 and that mac hot saw are sweeeet. Heck even the venue looks nice. How many saws were actually doing some cutting.

It was a real nice spot with built in shade. The boys put on a nice show with some old iron. I was just spectating today. Seemed to be 8-12 saws in most classes.:cheers: :cheers:

More shots from Baraboo...

As promised, here are some more photo's from the Baraboo event on Saturday.

Mark

attachment.php

Bill G starting to get set up - hey look my Ranger in the background

attachment.php

Closer look at one of Bill G's interesting collection on hand

attachment.php

Hey Bill, remind us all of the story behind the old Stihl in military colors

attachment.php

Roger Bennet (local) brings a nice trailer complete with lights and work bench

attachment.php

One of the two man saws on hand, this one just happen to be a McCulloch

Action from Baraboo

Here are some action shots from Baraboo...

attachment.php

My 550 McCulloch making some chips during a warm up exercise

attachment.php

My McCulloch Super 44, just arrive from e-Bay in time to bring up for a run

attachment.php

Two man action from the winner, James Shimniok and Roger Bennet on the stinger

attachment.php

Scott on the stinger end of a Mall owned and operated by Paul Helmeid

attachment.php

Scott making the chips fly with the 250/Mc92 hot saw

More Baraboo action...

From the races...

attachment.php

My Homelite 6-22 running in the gear drive contest

attachment.php

My son Jeff running the McCulloch 1-46, and egg timer would have worked for this saw

attachment.php

Scott giving me a hand to get the 550 started, oh yeah, remembing to turn the switch to "RUN" makes a big difference!

attachment.php

The 550 in racing form, well, not exactly race ready, the egg timer would work here as well

attachment.php

Scott keeping an eye on Steve Melzer with the hot saw

Last edited:
Last group, I promise

All in all it was a great way to spend a couple of days, and a lot of credit to Scott for his hard work arranging the events, running the contest, and being a great host by providing perfect weather.

Make your plans to come next year for fun and saws 21 August.

attachment.php

621 Jonsered finishing up, hope that stopwatch can count up the minutes

attachment.php

Scott finishing up the two man log with one of his old gear drive saws

attachment.php

What's wrong with this saw?

attachment.php

The Super Wiz 66 making some chips

attachment.php

At the end of the day these ladies wanted to know if the cut offs were for sale. Note to Scott: next year sell vintage cookies for $0.50 each instead of hauling them off to the brush pile.

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for the compliments. You and Jeff were a great addition this years display/contest. I'm glad you could make the trip. Good to meet Grandpatractor too. I have video of all the saws in the contest, and a few of saws that didn't compete. It will take quite a while to crunch them into mpeg and post them on youtube, but when I do, I'll let everyone know. I will also list the results. I just got into the house, 9pm, and I haven't even unloaded any saws yet, 2 trailer loads. will be busy for a few nights dumping gas and putting back on shelves. We didn't do much sawing today (Sunday). I ran my Mac 47 and Disston 101.
Scott

Hey, I saw all that stuff!

That show throws up another building every couple of years. Attendance is usually around 8,000. Just to see old cr8p running. That's quite impressive.

From the races...

attachment.php

My son Jeff running the McCulloch 1-46, and egg timer would have worked for this saw

I wasn't expecting to see myself in a picture.I'm just a spectator! I also noticed what I hope is a future member here and not just a lurker anymore:monkey: hint-(dolmar hat)

Last edited:
It was a real nice spot with built in shade. The boys put on a nice show with some old iron. I was just spectating today. Seemed to be 8-12 saws in most classes.:cheers: :cheers:

grandpatractor,

I am getting older and forgetful but I do not rember talking with you. I am sorry if I am mistaken. I would like to run up to your GTG later,

Bill

Nice event and pics, Heimann, thanks for posting them here.
If only I could attend this show, I have some oldies that would fit right in!:cheers:

Belgian.

I wish you could be come over here. I cut with my Stihl BLK-57. I displayed my Stihl BL. I ran the Stil 090G. I displayed the 041G as it would not start. I forgot the correct bar for the Contra or it would have ran.

Bill

Last edited:
Steve where's the video clips?

Mark,
My significant other was at the helm of my Cannon G9... I take full responsibility for the improper training... I will post the vids that did turn out...She got great video of my Lancaster 610 dying in the cut... You can hear the crowd laughing in the backround...
Steve

I noticed the crowd wasn't afraid to show their applause or laugh at us this year. They really got into it a few times. They like to see a good fast cut, or laugh when one of the old relics won't start or run right. Steve, you must have hit some knots with the hotsaw, I was only about a half second slower than you! Thanks for coming over again.
Scott

Baraboo

Scott,
Thank you, for having us again... We had a great time. Its always fun too see the old iron run...
But I must say, i really enjoyed the vintage Caterpillars...thats next on the list!!!
Steve

Those Cats were so cool, but I would need a major upgrade to haul one.
Here are the results of the contest.
Antique 2-man:
1st James / Disston 12hp 16.09
2nd Roger Mac 940 23.10
3rd Jerry Mac 7-55 26.85
4th James Disston 9hp 29.30
5th Paul Mall 6 45.80
6th Scott (McC) Mall 7 NT

Antique gear drive: 1 cut 10" cant
1st BillG Home 3100G 6.95
2nd James Home 1130 7.20
3rd heimannm Mac 1-85 7.35
4th BillG Home 770GS 7.95
(in high gear)
5th James Mac 55 8.50
6th James Home Wiz 66 8.60
7th heimannm Home 6-22 8.70
8th heimannm Home Super Wiz 66 9.08
9th BillG Stihl 090G 11.16
10th BillG Home 770GS 12.16
(low gear)
11th Roger Reed Pentice 50 12.40
12th Scott (McC) Terrill F/A 15.50
13th BillG Stihl BLK 22.50
14th Scott (McC) Lombard 23.15

Vintage direct drive 5cu and under 2 cuts 10" cant
1st Scott (McC) Mac 250 10.90
2nd James Mac D44 15.35
3rd Roger Husky 280 20.03
4th heimannm Johnsy 621 21.66
5th BillG Dolmar KMS4 23.75
6th Roger Husky L65 24.72
7th James Mac 250 28.39
8th Jeff Mac Super 44 34.23
9th Marty Stihl 041 38.62
10th Jeff (egg timer) :chainsaw: 46.20

Vintage direct drive 5cu and over 2 cuts 10" cant
1st Z4lunch Stihl 090 7.29
2nd Roger Husky 2100 9.32
3rd James Home 650 9.80
4th Roger Husky 285 15.47
5th heimannm Mac 125 17.60
6th heimannm Mac 740 28.10
7th heimannm Mac 550 33.44
BillG Home 2100 NT
Z4lunch Lancaster 620:biggrinbounce2: NT
Scott (McC) Wright C70 NT

Vintage hotsaw 3 cuts 10" cant
1st Z4lunch Montgomery Wards West Bend 820 6.52
2nd Scott (McC) Mac 250 MC92 6.92

Thanks for hauling out all the old equipment everybody.
Scott (McC)

Steve's next toy. He won't have to cut trees down, just pull them out of the ground or push them over.
Scott

Looks like a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the video footage of all that old school iron at work...

Back