Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can imagine guys who cut a lot of black cherry or box elder or other species that grow out sideways to reach the sun need to do this a lot more.
Alder around here is one of the worst species that will chair out when they lean ,I nip all those in the sides .
These has about a 30 degree lean and went over slow ,the side cuts look like a triangle to the face ,then go in with a reg back cut ,i could have chased these more and got less pull ,but the logs may have cracked when hit the ground going faster .
coos bay cut alder 027.JPG coos bay cut alder 028.JPG coos bay cut alder 026.JPG

Alder around here is one of the worst species that will chair out when they lean ,I nip all those in the sides .
These has about a 30 degree lean and went over slow ,the side cuts look like a triangle to the face ,then go in with a reg back cut ,i could have chased these more and got less pull ,but the logs may have cracked when hit the ground going faster .
View attachment 549822 View attachment 549823 View attachment 549824

I was called a fiber puller in a thread a couple years ago when I posted a stump that previously had a 100' tall heavy leaning red oak attached to it: I replied this might be true, but I'm not a house masher, & that was the primary concern.

There was fiber pulled, but there was also a house missed in the process, & WhoTF cares about fiber pull on firewood?

The tiny culvert for the drive way heavily limited the weight that could be moved per load: it all had to be hauled out by pickup anyway.

Moral of the Story:
The details matter.

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy

I was called a fiber puller in a thread a couple years ago when I posted a stump that previously had a 100' tall heavy leaning red oak attached to it: I replied this might be true, but I'm not a house masher, & that was the primary concern.

There was fiber pulled, but there was also a house missed in the process, & WhoTF cares about fiber pull on firewood?

The tiny culvert for the drive way heavily limited the weight that could be moved per load: it all had to be hauled out by pickup anyway.

Moral of the Story:
The details matter.

Like you said the tree came down safely and that's what matters.

I will say my stumps have improved since I joined AS and trees normally fall where I plan. I've significantly decreased the depth of notches to allow a better hinge. They aren't perfect but I don't need them to be. There's always room to learn more and this thread is a good one for that.

and we all know you never have a chair to set in and wonder "what just happened" after all your experience that never fails you! ?? lol? once you learn the correct procedure they will never occur again under any conditions! ?? lol false thinking will kill the best of us!
Sure they chair from time to time. Usually some huge rotten POS that you can't cut up fast enough or that didn't show a lightning seam that grew over. I chair about two trees a year out of many thousands. I sure as hell don't drag straps or chains around with me when I cut. Those only come out to pull the log truck around.

Well what is the right way Mr Expert.
Well you could put your face in(wide open if you're nervous), gut the heart wood from the face, then bore cut the back. I rarely bore cut any more because it is too time consuming and too great a risk to have the tree sit on your bar, but that's the way they want it done by the books. The way I do it is put in your face, bore heart wood again, then cut the back cut one side at a time. The side I'm closer to I will cut from the back to the hinge. Then I will go around to the other side of the tree and cut from the hinge to the back. Mind your tip and don't keep it in any spot too long. You can feel when it gets tight. I just came off of a big oak job that I had to cut nearly everyone like that. I'm in the business of making logs so split logs don't sell to the mill. If you are really serious about learning I will post pictures and maybe some video. There's no reason why a guy can't learn to be safer when he is cutting. I cut alone and cut about a million bf a year. You need every trick you can get to walk out of the woods every day. Every time you cut a tree you increase your chances of that not happening.

... If you are really serious about learning I will post pictures and maybe some video. There's no reason why a guy can't learn to be safer when he is cutting. .... You need every trick you can get to walk out of the woods every day. Every time you cut a tree you increase your chances of that not happening.

I'm serious about learning. Would appreciate more pics and vids.

Bitzer is the real deal. I have followed his postings for a few years and will continue.
Most of us have but a small tinkling of his experience and we do not have to constantly carry all of our tools and supplies everywhere we go. He replaces our extra junk with skill so for me I personally think when in doubt, chain it. I take along a silly amount of equipment and my truck or tractor is just a hundred feet away. Please carry on Bitzer.

Bitzer is the real deal. I have followed his postings for a few years and will continue.
Most of us have but a small tinkling of his experience and we do not have to constantly carry all of our tools and supplies everywhere we go. He replaces our extra junk with skill so for me I personally think when in doubt, chain it. I take along a silly amount of equipment and my truck or tractor is just a hundred feet away. Please carry on Bitzer.

Spot On Poast.

I agree.

Another guy who really knows his stuff is @chucker. Always like to hear advice from these guys.

I have no objection with some people using straps and will just continue to.
It shows awarness and saftey is being taken seriously Nothing wrong with a healthy respect "No your limits and play within it" However, overcoming fallling difficulties are a necessity for Pro production fallers and rope and chains are not part of the tools. I'm all for a person that wants to add a few more tricks to their trick bag. Professional advice or viable finding some may have suggested already are subject to change with diameter, species and geographical location and of course the speed you can cut the tree. Work up gradually with less lean and smaller diameter understanding the integrity of the soil root system and fibers in your area. move somewhere else then go back to grade 1 page 1 with limits

Thank you sir! Here's a good chair from 4 years ago. Hickory that split 25 feet up. Was around 30" on the stump. It had a lightning scar on the one side that I didn't see. I couldn't saw fast enough once it started opening up.

I was nearly killed/maimed by a 4 ft white oak six years ago. I ran about 15ft turned around and saw it coming back over the stump. I then turned to run and tripped and quickly pulled myself ahead. The slab landed inches from my foot. It had come 20ft back over the stump. I had bore cut it and had lost track of of my cuts and was in a hurry. I was using a short bar at the time.

0324141353a.jpg

This is what I do on all hard Leaners now.

4ft red oak. Face(usually a snipe used with conventional or Humboldt for extra relief), gut heartwood from face, cut nearest back quarter from back to front, cut far quarter from front to back til it goes. The tab of wood that pulled from the stump is the wood I couldn't cut in time because it leaned so hard. Since it came from the stump it trimmed off clean.
Back side of red oak.
0303160933.jpg
Face side of red oak.
0303160935.jpg
30" White oak that was shaped like a rainbow. Very heavy head lean. Wide open face. Only had to cut one side before it went over. The pull trimmed off clean.
whiteoakpull.jpg
If you can follow the cut/chip pattern on this white oak stump and butt you can figure out how I cut it.
IMG_20161001_205737.jpg

And once upon a time these guys had a mentor or three. Just too much at stake to plod ahead in the dark.
I didn't. I was handed a saw one day and was told put a notch in where you want it to fall. Then I was left alone for the week to clear a few acres of some big nasty box elder. Day two I had a 4ft boxelder explode on me. It was like lightning. Maybe the scariest thing that had happened to me up to that point. I never told anyone. I started reading some books and eventually started watching YouTube when guys started putting tree cutting videos up. I tried different ways to manipulate the hinge in order to manipulate the tree. I also started quietly reading and learning and posting here. 90 percent of my learning had been at the stump. Instincts play a big role. Not everyone has them.

Thank you sir! Here's a good chair from 4 years ago. Hickory that split 25 feet up. Was around 30" on the stump. It had a lightning scar on the one side that I didn't see. I couldn't saw fast enough once it started opening up.

I was nearly killed/maimed by a 4 ft white oak six years ago. I ran about 15ft turned around and saw it coming back over the stump. I then turned to run and tripped and quickly pulled myself ahead. The slab landed inches from my foot. It had come 20ft back over the stump. I had bore cut it and had lost track of of my cuts and was in a hurry. I was using a short bar at the time.

View attachment 550028
It's amazing how easy bitternut hickory will split. I split one length ways once just by dropping the log from the logarch to the ground.
The first tree I chaired was a 24" beech which smashed my P45, but that was in 1985 before I new what a dutchman was. Lol

Back