Barberchair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have blocked some of em. Here lately I have been playing with the "ultra soft" dutchman. Really cool, I like it on smaller stuff that wedges are inconvenient on.

When I screw one up, I go to friggin pieces............ I hold myself to a very high standard. I just have to accept that sometimes all the skill in the world cannot overcome the laws of physics................... I had two this week that fell 90 degrees off of intended direction of fall. Two in one week! I haven't had two in the last 2 years! Really tore me up....
That says a lot about you;

1) That you give a **** about your work
2) You are man enough to admit when you make a mistake.

Prayer? Lucky rabbit's foot? Large doses of optimism? Using all your skills? Sometimes there just aren't any good choices for an escape route but the tree has to come down anyway. That's the job.

Look at the pictures of guys working on springboards. Their escape route is straight down.

Exactly. I hate snags with a passion, but leave too many of them standing and the phone stops ringing in short order.

I had this conversation the other day. I can only speak for my neck of the woods. Timber falling is a profession out West, you are a logger or a timber faller........ I am sure there are many exceptions. Around here a dedicated "timber faller" is a hard thing to find. What it seems to be around here are a "jack of all trades" kinda guy. I fall, skid, buck, load and haul. But then again I am a two man show. Falling here seems to be looked upon very casually, and anything different is scoffed at. You should hear the remarks I get for calks, hard hat and wedges.............. The total lack of professionalism, and application of different techniques around here kills me. Jackstrawing is commonplace......... then you have the hardcore GOL type loggers................totally different. To the extreme.
Here in the Midwest, most loggers are 2 or 3 man shows.You have to be able to do everything fairly well--I always thought little of any man who started logging who couldn't cut at least some for himself. Now, around here, as I guess it is getting to be a lot of other places, the age of loggers, or people who are doing this kind of work is getting to be a lot older. Just to hard and dangerous for most young guys! Therefore, I can pick and choose who I want to cut for. Besides cutting for my brother's 3 man company, I get calls all the time.Two months ago, I cut 16 veneer walnuts for a guy 50 miles north of me--1 walnut cut 566 bf.., the veneer buyer paid $10/bd.ft. for it alone!! 5,660.00 for 1 walnut tree--took me about 10 minutes to cut it right for him.

i hope ya charged him. i getting so i don't feel bad for charging them good money.......
That's sort of a funny thing! I guess I can kind of make up my own prices as I go along, depending on how far I drive to get to the site, the type of trees, how many they have, how much business I do with guy, etc. My brother I charge less, but for good trees like that and any distance away I'll charge 16 to 20 dollars per tree, I always use my own equipment--yes, good aluminum helmet, hearing protection, chaps etc., always have--some guys don't,believe it or not.

16 to 20 bucks per tree? Man, I don't even pull a saw out of the back for less than 200, cash and carry on side work. Be it either 1 stick or all day. Same on strait jobs with saw rental charge of 50 a day, their gas and oil, standard around my area. Unless it's a close by little ole lady/friend sort of thing. Start adding in distance and that price can go up fast, unless there's a crummy ride in the mix. I bring what ever I will or might need, except jacks. Don't give your skill & know how away. If anyone could do it, they wouldn't be calling.

Owl

I did some logging on my own property almost 20 years ago, paid the faller $200 a day then, and followed him around all day, bumped knots, bucked where he told me, watched his back. I figure he made me that much just by knowing the best sorts for my mixed species. I had loads going to 4 different mills from my 5 acres, cedar, Doug fir and alder all going every which way. Made more on the alder than everything else together, alder saw logs were really high at the time.

I wonder if he charged me extra for the lessons? I learned a ton from him. He was retired, bored and needed the money. Too busted up to work full time, he did the falling in about 4 days. He was recommended by a local tree farmer, I'm sure glad I listened.

16-20 a tree sounds fine to jack-straw a field of skinny yellow pine, but not for technical, and especially veneer work. You may have seen less than 1% of the money from that walnut job.

16 to 20 bucks per tree? Man, I don't even pull a saw out of the back for less than 200, cash and carry on side work. Be it either 1 stick or all day. Same on strait jobs with saw rental charge of 50 a day, their gas and oil, standard around my area. Unless it's a close by little ole lady/friend sort of thing. Start adding in distance and that price can go up fast, unless there's a crummy ride in the mix. I bring what ever I will or might need, except jacks. Don't give your skill & know how away. If anyone could do it, they wouldn't be calling.

Owl
thats it, they can't........i will make as much as i would on my own job or i ain't comin out.

To put it into perspective. I charge a case of Shiner or a bottle of Jack to take down a tree for my neighbors (one that can't possibly hit something I cannot repair myself). That's more than $20, and this is a stump I made
image.jpg

If a homeowner helps, it automatically adds a minimum of 100. Normally they don't do what's needed or said. They have a nack for being in the exact wrong place at the exact wrong time, cutting the wring thing the wrong way. Worse than a kid most of the time, cause THEY think they know what their doing. There is a rare occasion that a homeowner is an asset though. That is a refreshing surprise.

Owl

Latest posts

Back