Bardahl VBA vs Yamalube 2R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It’s about 1985..

Would you be running Bardahl VBA or Yamalube 2R in your little aircooled 2 strokes?

I ran across a box with an unopened bottle of each in it from about 1984 or 5 during a “purge” of one of my sheds.

One will go into saws and such, the other will probably go through one of the tractors..

I found that the modern Yamalube was really spoogy at 30:1 in the bikes. Even at 40:1 I didn’t like it in the bikes. I believe it is a very good oil, but not for the way I wanted the bikes jetted.

I haven’t run Bardahl since about 1984. I can’t remember what I knew about it back then.

:chainsaw:

If you want to run 30 year old oil than id close my eyes and use the first one my hand touched.

But over 30 years.... everyone’s going to have their own opinion just like all the oil threads. But that’s pretty damn old. I would not run it in my saws. Use it to treat your wood fence.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I am pretty confident there will be nothing wrong with it. I will pour it into a clear container. If it looks good and smells good I won’t even batt an eye. It will be used.

Oh, and it’s probably more like 35 years old.

To many of us 30 years is not very old...

curious to see what differences there are in certifications on those oils from back then. did they even certify oil back then before electricity? lol, i was born in 1984 so that is totally a long time ago to me.

I am asking hoping someone might remember the characteristics of each oil from that time.

I poured them in a container. They look absolutely fine to me.

I think I’ll use both in the saws/weed eaters/blowers and use the old atf I 62033904-6824-422F-91A3-C318C7C07EC8.jpeg EEFCC193-DDF8-4EBC-B26C-BD80E1E4E323.jpeg 2AB5346D-83F1-41D4-A542-118881A4C5FA.jpeg
found in the tractor. I run full winter diesel year round to avoid the biodiesel crap. I add some lube to almost every tank..atf or 2 stroke mix oil.

Ps, those aren’t lumps, they are bubbles. Both of these oils are thick, like old oils were.

The Bardahl is the first pic ( the more full container). I sloshed some of the Yamalube up on the side of the container to try to show its clarity, which is perfect, btw.

The only reason I talk about the age is I would be concerned about additive fallout. Even if you shake the bottle the additives will not go back into suspension once they have fallen. Even if you mix it with gas the additives will still not stay in suspension. I guess you could shake the bottle mix it with gas and use it right away.

But that’s a long time to assume additives will stay in suspension. They all fall out eventually.

Will it lubricant well ...,sure.

But it’s probably a group one oil and on top of that your detergents have probably fallen.

All .....JUST MY OPINION.

If I blow something up I will let yous know. I’ll be mixing at somewhere around 35:1

You know, I’m just not very worried about it.

I did not say It will blow up.......

Hell, every now and then I’ll mix up a gallon of the old blendzall racing castor I used in my old bultaco for my trimmer And blower for old time sake. I probably wouldn’t use it in a new stihl ms 261 cm though...

Back