Bark ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindredSpiritzz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im just curious what kind of wood this is? It's heavy and kind of stringy when split but its a hard wood of some type, not box elder. When you throw a log on the fire it crackles for awhile like bacon in a frying pan . Burns good and i like it, just don't know what it is. Came from central wisconsin. Pretty sure its not any type oak. I want to say elm??

PICT4228.JPG PICT4230.JPG

I'm thinking Mulberry too, by the spittin' sparks and the one upright round split is about yellow enough heartwood, but the facing split faces look a little pale for Mulberry unless exposed for quite a while and not fresh split? Not 100% sure????

I'm with spidey on the twisty ash. I don't usually see elm split that clean and mulberry is more of a dark yellow color.

flotek,

My thought exactly, then I thought elm what LOL
Looks like an odd beast for sure, maybe an elm hybrid.

Not American Elm, Not Rock Elm, Not slippery Elm.
Makes for a short list of Elm's remaining.
Siberian elm the bark color looks wrong, and Red elm it only look similar but pretty clean splits for red elm.

philoshop,

Ahh you might be right on the BL.
Images are a little tough to see the bark but the more I look the more I see BL now.
Was having serious doubts about it being red elm or even an elm hybrid.

I got throw another penny in the pot too. I've changed my vote to Black Locust too, because it isn't yellow enough inside for the Mulberry around here. That split section around that knot looks the same as some black locust that I've split. Black locust splits pretty clean too?

Heres some more pictures. The wood has a slight orangeish reddish hue to it. I wouldnt say it splits cleanly, kind of stringy like a box elder but no where near as bad. Is black locust even native to wisconsin, i have never heard anyone ever mention cutting any. Kind of doubt its that. Im gonna see the person i got it from tomorrow so i'll ask her if she remembers what it was.

PICT4231.JPG PICT4232.JPG PICT4234.JPG

Latest posts

Back