Barn Raising!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redoak

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Gents,

We put the frame up on Sunday. What a day! Went together like a song. Couple little adjustments on the face of some brace tenons and one dovetail was a bit fat. Even impressed my engineer dad who kept us all plumb and square with the level and tape. :)

The block and tackle was a serious piece of help. Best $15 I've ever spent at a yard sale.

Raising the top plate was a #####... until we got smart and brought it up through the middle one end at a time. There's a nice picture of me stuck with that thing in my hands waiting for a 2x8 to take the load. All the books say drag it up over the posts from the side. Not a good way to do it.

I'll add some detail pics when I get a chance to take them. After a full day of this there was no time for pictures for you boys... just time for::cheers:

-redoak

raising the north bent
View attachment 82203

"persuading" the beam's through tenon
View attachment 82204

raising the south bent
View attachment 82205

plate braces secured, trying to put the plate up the hard way, 20' 8x8 she's got some heft! (no posts to help carry the load)
View attachment 82206

finished! (well for now... time to mill 3 sets of principal rafters!)
View attachment 82207

Looks great red oak.

We just finished ours last week. I didn't mill the wood myself, the guy we bought the house from had three stacks of rough sawn pine in misc. widths and sizes. He never got a round to finishing it...

:cheers:

regarding the block and tackle, I left a big oak over the building site to hang it from. Gin poles make me nervous, too many things can go wrong with them. 18" red oaks are much more secure.

-redoak

Looks great.
I've been looking forward to seeing these pics. I see there is no sill (i don't know if that's the right term) on the left hand side of your last pic. Is that so you can drive into the barn? There'll be a loft?

Curious if you have pics of you plans (or your intention)?

Thanks for sharing, it's very interesting.

Andy.

Very interesting... thanks. Where did you get all that help? Can't all be family can they. Hunting club? I too am glad to see old style joinery like this.

regarding the block and tackle, I left a big oak over the building site to hang it from. Gin poles make me nervous, too many things can go wrong with them. 18" red oaks are much more secure.

-redoak

I've seen pics of gin poles raising beams much bigger than the 18" oak. > 30 ft free spans with a hay load on top!!!

Once again great work what a beauty!! That will be something to put in the photo album for years to come! thanks for sharing the process so far good luck with the rest and work safe you guys are gonna have to christen (spelling??) that with a beer bottle or something!! Thanks again irishcountry

It looks like the LNG pipe line will be bypassing the spotted Marlet that are in the second growth up on the ridge and the only other rout that they want to take is right thru our 50 year old barn. It looks like I will get the task of moving the barn or building a new one in the next pasture over. Keep the pictures coming along with the tips of what to and not to do as I will be needing all the help I can get with this project come springtime.

I was looking around at various frame structures and came across this "Irish Shed" that a young couple built.

Not anywhere near as nice joints as your barn but it intrigued me with the cordwood walls and timber frame combination.

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/camaria_photos/Our%20Irish%20Shed/

If you look through the pictures you can see the rough cuts on the timber.

shed1.jpg

shed3.jpg

I was looking around at various frame structures and came across this "Irish Shed" that a young couple built.

Not anywhere near as nice joints as your barn but it intrigued me with the cordwood walls and timber frame combination.

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/camaria_photos/Our%20Irish%20Shed/

If you look through the pictures you can see the rough cuts on the timber.

shed1.jpg

shed3.jpg
Years back, I got a book on cordwood home construction that explained most of the methods used.
It seems that the Canadian Government incouraged their Indians to use this method.
Here in Texas I have gone into finding a wood preservative that we could live with and still do a good job.
Well let me tell you I have found it, It is pure Swedish pine tar. They used it on the old sailing ships to keep them afloat. It has a pine odor, some thing you can live with indoors & still keep the home in tiptop shape.
You can buy it on ebay anywhere from a quart size to drum container size

Cordwood and timberframe construction is cool!! Like it would make a nice shed or sauna if you do it right. Thanks for that pic

Here is link for ebay, if it don't work i will post a item #number.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290276120295
The link works for me, but get a sample of it. The stuff is amazing, it will bring back wood like a fountain of youth. Do some internet research on the pine tar.
To me it was like rediscovering a lost art in wood preservative. I am not known for making wild claims, but I cannot say enough good things about pine tar.

The seller knows me from a few years back, he helped me on a project & they are great people to deal with. Send him some pictures of what you are doing with pine tar.
On a large amount he will deal with you on pricing.

Back