barnes pump for splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just received my pump today from northern ,I was not expecting a slip on fitting for the suction line ,what type of hose is used for this? I was expecting a threaded inlet fitting. Thanks Chub

You're in luck: no ftgs required, the tube inlet is made for slip on suction hose right to it.

Suction hoses have a spiral wire reinforcement, one thick wire spiralled about 1/4 inch apart.

Regular pressure hose has braids or spiral wraps of fine wire. Positive internal pressure puts the wires in tension. It might take high pressure but in vacuum it can collapse. The thick wire spiral prevents that. Like a lower radiator hose on a car. The spiral is in the layers of the hose, not a separate spring inside it.

Some cheap splitters use clear vinyl hose with no reinforcing at all. I have had two of those collapse and cause problems.

Don't worry Chub neither the suction or return hose are high pressure. If you look at some of the Timberwolf splitters their return line are barb fittings with hose slipped over.:givebeer: :givebeer:

Thanks guys, I called northern they dont carry that type of hose, mabie a tsc or a forklift or hyd supplier.

NORTHERN LIED TO YOU
Either A. You Didn't ask for the right item or B. The idiot lied to you or didn't know what you were talking about (which is typical)
Your looking for item #109003-1801 on PG287 in your winter 2007 book. It is 72 inches long so your gonna need to cut it. The simplest way to cut steel reinforced hose is to use a chop saw or angle grinder with a steel cutting wheel.

A port-o-band works real good for those hoses too. A hacksaw will work too.

Surplus center might be cheaper on the hose. I dont remember were I got mine - which ever was cheapest.

Don

Hey chub Blackdoggy is right Northern carries it, but it's 30 bucks for 6'.I don't know how much you need but in most apps 3' enough. Check your hydraulic dealers or sometimes Napa carries it. Good luck. :givebeer: :givebeer:

Hydraulic Hoses

Caution ,when cutting hoses, with a saw, grinder, or production hose cutter, dont forget to blow out the completed assembly to remove wire particles, rubber etc, at the caterpillar dealers they have a ball of ****, sompthing that they treat and then blow threw the completed assembly, T,C, E,J,

Last edited:
Hey chub Blackdoggy is right Northern carries it, but it's 30 bucks for 6'.I don't know how much you need but in most apps 3' enough. Check your hydraulic dealers or sometimes Napa carries it. Good luck. :givebeer: :givebeer:

What this guy said, picked mineup at Carquest dealer though.

I got some that is a foot or so in length if any one needs it then pm me. I will send it to you as no one should have to pay $8! for a foot of this stuff. The other option besides free is to trade me a nylon drawstring bag that I can attach to my chipper to catch the mulch. Enjoy the weekend!

I got some that is a foot or so in length if any one needs it then pm me. I will send it to you as no one should have to pay $8! for a foot of this stuff. The other option besides free is to trade me a nylon drawstring bag that I can attach to my chipper to catch the mulch. Enjoy the weekend!

why not use those long ty-wraps they use on air conditioning ducts? the things are like 36" long.

Back