Basic climbing tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deleted posts

Well, Beeboo kept me busy deleting posts. Thanks to those that reported the posts. Beeboo, if you didnt like stuff that didnt pertain to the posts please let them know.....politely. If you are asking for info, some might have it some might not. All the guys that answered you in my mind are very knowledgable. Many that read your rudeness might not have answered you knowing how to help you. I personally would have been one of them. People enjoy arboristsite, because they like to joke around. I personally do joke around a lot myself. Personalities, show through. If you cant behave we might have to let you go.

Darin----Moderator

Well, I can see that this is a very touchy page.
As far as I am concerned, there was only 1 post that should have been deleted, but you are the moderator. So, do as you please.

As far as the help that I have received. The one's that have tried, did help alot, but the others that just want to play games & put there 2 cents (sense) in were it is not wanted, are down right rude!

As far as being reported, I really do not care because it was probably the whiny little babies that do not know anything about being an arborist & just want to run off at the mouth.

You know, there are times for joking around & there are times to just plain shut your trap!

I figure that someone who is asking for help, can do without the jabs from people who should know what they are doing.

In your opinion, they know what they are doing, but they have yet to prove any knowledge to me---except ignorance.

So, if you want to disband me, let me go--whatever. Do what you want because as of now, I can do without the criticism from people that are no help whatsoever.

Treeman14 & John Paul McMillin

I thank both of you for your posts.

Treeclimber14----I will check into ordering the full set of books available through the info that you posted---Thank You.
Also, opology accepted & I know I should get a sense of humor, but I looked at it as another jab at me trying to do my own work---Sorry. God Bless America.

John Paul McMillin----Glad to see that you are willing to help a begginer---I thank you.

I am planning to use a static line (I know--not good), but I plan to descend using the figure 8 device, not the knot itself because I am aware of the burning up the rope danger. I figure I would rather use a devise made to do a specific manuever than a knot that could fail at anytime.

Also, I do not plan to leave too much slack in my life line---So, how would one fall from more than 10 feet, if the friction hitch performs properly??

I thank all those that are willing to help.
Sincerely,
Mike

Treeclimber165 & all others

I will not be replying to anyone that does not want to help, in the future.

So, make all the comments you want because I am now in the ignoring phase---Since, I have been notified by the moderator that my return comments are not welcome.

So, if I offended anyone here----Sorry.

Even though I feel some of the comments that were made towards me deserved a harsh response---I can forgive & forget.

All I would like to add, is as follows.
At some time in your life, you did not know anything about being an Arborist. This is where I am & would like to get some help.

I thought this would be a place where that could happen, but maybe I am wrong.

So, once again, I would appreciatte HELP! (not pokes at me from the peanut gallery).

Thank you to all!!!

Don't let the door hit ya in the ass! I tried to be helpful (look at all of my earlier posts on this thread), but all you could see was criticism. Funny no one else saw it. Maybe the problem is your perception!
:angry: :angry:

Re: Treeclimber165 & all others

Originally posted by Beeboo
I will not be replying to anyone that does not want to help, in the future.

Be gone:cry:

Guys, I guess I dont really understand what all the fuss is about. Everyone is in here to learn but also have a good time. Beeboo, if you are thinking its rude to joke around, I guess we are sorry. One main characteristic of climbing is you have to be loose, and cant get raddle real easy. So if a few words are going to make you edgy, climbing isnt for you in the first place. This forum is free to use and has tons of info on it. Some, yes, may be from the peanut gallery, but if you dont make learning fun, it really isnt interesting to me. I as a moderator cannot have this stuff going on in here. If we cant take jokes or critisicm somebody has to go. It really brings the quality of this site down!!@my expense. If you think you are a know-it-all there is no place here for you. There is always something to learn. I am glad you are ignoring any other comments Beeboo, unless they are what you are looking for.

Well, I have to call this one like I see it.
1) Beeboo asks for some help.
2) People notice he has no experience.
3) Replies are made stressing the danger in the business. Some of them were unnecessarily cruel.
4) Beeboo replied with anger.
5) The rudeness continued.

I seem to be in the minority here but I think that Beeboo never deserved the harsh remarks in the first place. I do think however Beeboo that some of the things you said afterwards were uncalled for. The tree-in-the-road incident is fine to explain on this forum, but not in the cocky attitude that you did it in. I still say that Beeboo was treated unfairly.

I think that the guys, and girl, on this forum are great. There are a few of you that need to check your attitudes though.

Darin, I dont agree with what you said. If someone gets rattled easy by words it doesn't make them a bad candidate for climbing. I think this person should practive avoiding reactions that have become a bad habit. I think anyone who loves trees, a good workout, and maybe doesn't mind heights, is a good candidate.

Beeboo, this site is a wealth of information. If you show that you've learned some things and try not to be tempted by jabs, I have a feeling you'll be a fine climber someday.
By the way, just my opinion, go dynamic, traditional, with a Blake's Hitch (works wonderfully), and gradually move to a split-tail in order to avoid constant untying of your knot, as with the traditional system. KNOW TRADITIONAL FIRST!!

One more thing, you guys, why haven't I heard any good split-tail jokes??? : )

I dont know if you got to read the 3 posts that I removed of Beeboo's but I had about 5 emails stating to remove them. This is why you may be in the minority.
I am just saying if you are rattled by a few words how is 100ft going to feel to you. Come on they are just words. People, just like you, dont agree with what I say constantly. Do I care? Not at all. It works in all field of business. Ryan Leaf, in foot ball, has all the tools. Rattled by words. The guy sucks. Sorry. I will never tell one of you any of the things that were directed towards Beeboo and others. But I will be contriversial. Thats why forums are great. You can see both sides. All right guys, continue with the fun.

Yeah, I thought about the fact that I never got to read Beeboo's bad posts. He obviously got hot, and handled it incorrectly. And, the reason I couldn't read them is because the site was down for a good while. Beeboo, I suspect that happened due to Darin having to furiosly remove inappropriate posts from the forum. Just think about the fact that a lot of people who want to learn from this site just like you, got nothing for hours on end.

You guys are like family and I just hate to see you fight...ha! Kidding (not about the family part). :D

No, I just see a lot of wasted energy that could be used to teach ME something about trees and climbing. I figure I have about 10 years of certification and experience to gain before I can even begin dreaming about being cocky.

OK, this is not Oprah's website!!! It's about one of most rugged, knuckle-scraping, new wound everyday, dirty as hell when ya get home, coolest of all jobs - Tree Work!!!

Willy

Will, thanks for the reply. It was well stated.
There is a lot of wasted energy to post stupid items. If the stupid items mean no harm. I usually let them go. I sometimes get wise cracks in myself. I do like the fact that some of you send me reports on poor taste posts as I dont have time to read them all. My own personal police. :D

This thread cracked me up! (until the end)

I loved the post about getting a ladder and pole saw. I was picturing some fool standing on the top rung of a ladder holding the very end of a 20' poe saw, then the branch comes crashing down...
I also find it interesting that so many advised all kinds of expensive equipment and training vidios for a guy who'll use them one or two times a year.
All one needs is a saddle, rope, lanyard, rope snap, saw, and some basic safty equipment. There's no need for a figure 8, the Blake won't burn your rope, unless you come burning down at high speeds. As for a throw ball and line, although nice, a big nut and some fishing line works.
And the egos...only a professional can climb a tree??? Dang, I was climbing trees when I was a kid.
I admire Beeboo's independence. In a few weeks he may be out climbing half of us, and a that point if he is climbing more, then he should decide what tools will make his life easier.

Mike, this is very true. I was climbing trees at a very young age too and in high school actually did tree work with no saftey equipment. I hope we keep egos out also. I have fun and learn a ton from all of you everyday. How do you become a professional if nobody will teach you how.

It would be impossible to answer, in a few paragraphs, a question so vague and obviously written by someone who dosn't know jack. To attempt this would be as irresponsible as handing a loaded gun to a child (an emotionaly, and mentaly chalenged child) then proceding to tell him that it is a toy he can feel free to play russian roulette with.
attn; NASSA, I'm planing on making a trip to the moon. I have on many occaisions jumped into the air and experienced temporary weightlessness, and I have walked on a few rough rocky surfaces that must have been similar to the moon's crust. So all I need to know is how to build a spaceship, how to fly it to my three day lunar holiday, and how to then return to earth (near michigan if possible). So you see I'm no rookie,I pretty much know rocket science forward and back. There is just those few details I would like to know about. I am sending a 3"x5"card, if you have a moment would you mind jotting down any theory's instruction or safty concern's that I may need to round off my already monumental library of knowledge.
I'm sure this will be offensive, and will be reguarded as my unwanted two cents, but don't bother telling me that I dont know the awnser to a question that you don't even know how to ask, because I am mature enough and selfconfident enough to read a comment about myself that I don't like or agree with without sheding a tear.
If you can't recognize a parallel brain fart like those alluded to by rborist1, and treeman14 as being all but identical reflections of your own screwed up attitude, than realize that you need to take care of that hardon so you can recover some bloodflow to your brain. Then maby you would know that the right thing to do is to apologize to the many people who chose a humorous way to offer their two cents to a boy who had none. They were just looking out for your safty becouse you are not smart enough to know that it is worth more than a few hundred dollars.

Wow! You compare tree climbing to space travel? You crack me up.
Let's keep things in perspective here. Let's say you have a leak in your roof, would you climb up there and repair it or would you call in a proffesional(assume your low on funds and rain is forcasted for tomorrow)?
I would repair it myself.
What would they tell me at the roofing forum? They would say that roofers pay the highest workman's comp. insurance because their's is the most dangerous job, and that I was an idiot tho try to do what only a proffesional should do.
But I assure you that I could get the job done without getting hurt. Not as good or as fast as a proffesional might do, but it would get done, cheap.
If you would be afraid to climb up on your roof, then fine, it's not for you. If not, and you want advise, just ask.

Speaking of getting up in a tree I'm going to describe a method that is fun to try.
1. Set cambium saver with throw ball.
2. Pull climbing line through.
3. Set throw line as close as possible to cambium saver.
4. Tie in as usual, prussic of prefrence(MT/VT is best) and fair lead.

At this point you have everything set as normal, except this throw line dangling in your face.

5. Attach a gibbs ascender to the running side of your climbing line, above your hitch.
6. Attach a carabiner and a small block to the gibbs.
7. Tie one end of the trow line to the carabiner.
8. Run the tail of your climbing line through the block.

Now, just pull on the other side of the throw line to advance the gibbs (and tail of your rope) up the tree. Then pull on the tail of your rope, to advance your self up the tree. You now have a 4 to 1 advantage.

Heck, have your groundy pull you up it's easy. Once you're up, just disconect the gibbs and lower it with the throw line. You will be tied in as normal, and won't have expended all that energy foot locking.

I'm always looking for energy saving tips which become more and more important as one gets older. Now if I can just figure out how to get my walker up there...

Hey Beeboo
Ive read through most of this thread and can see alot of mixed reactions to your approach to your tree care. What ever climing system you decide to use make sure you get use to it before accually working on it. Practice in small trees both going up and down. Get use to the knot your going to be using if it is a blake, your going to have to trust your equipment . Keep asking questions, knowledge is your safest eqipment.

Latest posts

Back