Batery powered chainsaws - when ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batteries, trailers, generators

prolly won`t happen somewhat soon, but who knows what 20-30 years would bring upon us ?
with any luck we`ll still be alive and have another thread about it.
cheers

--battery powered stuff for construction is just way common now, it got good enough for even big jobs. We just had a crew come over and rebuild the tornado damaged cabin here, part of which was redoing the sheet metal roof. They exclusively use cordless drills and rubber gasketed tech self tapping screws. Their "regular" work is building all sheet metal 500 foot long chicken houses and then like metal barns. That's *tons* of screws per shift.

I think with all the world wide demand for better batteries, (cars/tools/mobile devices like phones and tablets and netbooks, etc) and every university chemistry department working on them now, we'll just continue to see better and better ones every year now. So it just might not take too long. The breakthroughs with carbon nanotubes are *amazing* (I'm a tech and science and alt energy nerd, I follow this stuff a lot). We'll see those batts sometime soon, too much money out there waving in the breeze, up for grabs.

The stihl saw looks nice and obviously the batt tech is "good enough" now for that. Still spendy..but this is stihl we are talking about as well, they charge what they want, people will pay it. I would think the other saw guys will be there shortly with more reasonable prices, then the chicom knockoffs will happen..and that's where all these batts and motors come from anyway for the most part. Expect to see the hundred buck knockoffs soon.

Oh shoot, OK, here's an example how fast the tech is accelerating and getting cheaper. When prius hybrids first came out, replacement batt packs (granted, not LiIon, but NiMH) were over ten grand..it is now down to 900 bucks (for a rebuild) a decade later and they are much better quality.

As for electric cars needing a 400 mile range..naw..the solution there is what we have with off the shelf stuff, a hundred mile range is plenty for most folk's commuting, and for those longer trips, use a generator trailer.

I know if I had the new business loot, and I am not joking I think this could make some good money, I would be building those genny trailers right this second for the nissan leaf market as range extenders. I call it the modular hybrid approach. I don't like the idea of hybrids myself, having to haul around both sorts of motive devices plus two different sorts of energy storage things all the time on the same axles. That's too much weight and stuff crammed in there. Ya it works, but....

I prefer pure electric, then the trailer idea when you need to go further. The trailer could do double duty as the whole house emergency generator, job site or at the cabin genny, and could be rented for that matter for the few times a year trip to grammaws, etc, for people who rarely need to go further than a hundred miles.

At least a homowner cant straight gas it.If the price was right i`d use one in my yard on a sunday maybe to keep the noise down.

Battery powered saws and other equipment may be the future, but one of my pet peeves is that many call it "green" technology just because there are no exhaust emissions when using the finished product. Ever see a mining operation to get the heavy/toxic metals that go into make the batteries? Disposal of consumed/dead batteries? Certainly not "green."

As for electric cars needing a 400 mile range..naw..the solution there is what we have with off the shelf stuff, a hundred mile range is plenty for most folk's commuting, and for those longer trips, use a generator trailer.

I know if I had the new business loot, and I am not joking I think this could make some good money, I would be building those genny trailers right this second for the nissan leaf market as range extenders. I call it the modular hybrid approach. I don't like the idea of hybrids myself, having to haul around both sorts of motive devices plus two different sorts of energy storage things all the time on the same axles. That's too much weight and stuff crammed in there. Ya it works, but....

I prefer pure electric, then the trailer idea when you need to go further. The trailer could do double duty as the whole house emergency generator, job site or at the cabin genny, and could be rented for that matter for the few times a year trip to grammaws, etc, for people who rarely need to go further than a hundred miles.

Well in this crowd it seems like you'd need a pretty big battery to replace something like a 660... But I do like your idea of the gen trailer. Perhaps it should be commercial sales, like to Uhaul rentals or something. Pick one up for a week out of town or something.

I still like the idea of not having to charge a car everyday. If they can get electrics up to equal performance of 200hp, a curb weight of under 3500 lbs, and a decent 150-200 mile range (and a reasonable price tag) I might be interested.

I mean the Tesla roadster is nice and all, but that's a hefty price tag.

you guys make a good point; but those who bought yesterday a brand new 576XP will want to use it for the next 10 years or so. should battery take over tomorrow, it would still take a lot of time to get into the mental of the people.
another thing: I am certain that the tip of the spear, the battery know-how is way further than they let us know. after all OPEC and those bastards are still too powerful. the same thing is with pesticide industry that bash the GMO`s etc.
I can`t foresee what forces will collide to speed or slow the process...
PS. I know that batteries are not green per se.

true story: 22 years ago, during Ceausescu communism, you were allowed to buy 30 liters of gas/ month. (it is not a typo,it is a fact) Not only that bud on Sunday only half the cars were allowed to run and the other half next Sunday.

It was a great time for toluene smugglers. Any-who, the happiest peoples were those with Trabant that was a car popular this part of Europe; it had two stroke engine and ran with anything...

those were the days.

I would like to hear more about 4 stroke saws. I thought that 4 stroke don`t need oil/gas mix

I want a Trabi! Can you ship me one please? :) Made out of cardboard/plaster/resin would piss the HSA/DOT and that two-stroke would piss the EPA off! Two birds with one stone! I would love to drive that past the EPA headquarters. :laugh:

LOL
nop, I haven`t actually seen one in ages; maybe they were all turned into playing cards.
a friend of mine has one, not working though, a break trabi; he dreams of making it run someday.

Black and Decker 18v chainsaw
CCS818B_1.jpg

18v loppers
NLP1800B_1.jpg

B&D has a whole line of 18v products

LOL
nop, I haven`t actually seen one in ages; maybe they were all turned into playing cards.
a friend of mine has one, not working though, a break trabi; he dreams of making it run someday.

If he ever wants to clean out his garage... let me know. :) I'll take it in, and rebuild the engine (if I can scrape up the parts) or drop a snowmobile engine into it if rebuilding the original isn't feasible due to cost, rarity of parts, etc. :) Hope he gets it going, it's a small, polluting car, that can't go faster than 60 MPH... and pisses of treehuggers and the EPA. :)

What´s a 4-mix engine? only know of 2 and 4 stroke (gasoline and diesel), the Wankel Engine (rotary), and off course the new strato 2 strokes.
Any link´s, that explain it?

The Stihl 4 mix is basically a 4 stroke engine that does away with an oil sump by using 2 stroke mix. It has proven to be fairly reliable but is heavy and slow . It does have a good amount of torque though. It does require frequent service to the valve train and is prone to run hot because of carbon build-up.

If he ever wants to clean out his garage... let me know. :) I'll take it in, and rebuild the engine (if I can scrape up the parts) or drop a snowmobile engine into it if rebuilding the original isn't feasible due to cost, rarity of parts, etc. :) Hope he gets it going, it's a small, polluting car, that can't go faster than 60 MPH... and pisses of treehuggers and the EPA. :)

...and it doesn`t rust.
LOL
we use to say that Traby doubles its value every time you fill the gas tank

The Stihl 4 mix is basically a 4 stroke engine that does away with an oil sump by using 2 stroke mix. It has proven to be fairly reliable but is heavy and slow . It does have a good amount of torque though. It does require frequent service to the valve train and is prone to run hot because of carbon build-up.

So it isn´t that revolutionary then??

Def. would buy an electric saw for around the house on little stuff. If stihl brings that saw to the states i may pick one up.

have an 18v ryobi (ONE+ battery) chainsaw in the garage right now...came as part of one of those "everything" cordless kits a few years ago

this baby will cut through a railroad tie/landscape timber in about 180 seconds, and pressure treated 4x6's in about 120 seconds...lasts about 3 or 4 cuts if I remember right.

i wouldn't buy one seperately, but since i have it, i use it for the dirty jobs, and where cutting slower probably makes more sense

Cheers!

4 stroke saws and trimmers aren't the future, Stratofied charged two strokes are.
Look at Husqvarna and Stihl the two big dogs on the block, all the newest saws, trimmers, and blowers are Stratotfied charged motors. If 4 stroke was the future don't you think the new Stihl trimmers would be 4 Mix engines, but they haven't had a new 4 Mix product in 5 years.

I think stratocharged gets them by for now but probably wont be enough eventually they will probably go to 4 stroke or clean up a 2 stroke with injection im sure they have a timeline and its probably a ways off, but when you cant buy a saw without a cat then its probably getting close.

Def. would buy an electric saw for around the house on little stuff. If stihl brings that saw to the states i may pick one up.
I have a buddy who is a stihl dealer that just came back from his stihl trip in germany. They said they were possibly going to bring them to the states this fall, but who knows if that timeline holds true.

I have a buddy who is a stihl dealer that just came back from his stihl trip in germany. They said they were possibly going to bring them to the states this fall, but who knows if that timeline holds true.

We should be moving before then. So maybe ill pick one up. I think its a great idea for homeowner type use. Hell it probably makes a decent limbing saw on smaller stuff. I just think its smart you grab the battery slap it in put some bar oil in and cut. Dont have to tune it, its less noise for the neighbors and its probably lighter then a gas one similar to it. You also dont have a extension cord chasing you every where.

If they brought them over here i bet they would make a killing. Alot of people want electric but hate the cords.

Last edited:
Will likely be a while before you really see anything professional that is available.

May be some small homeowner saws that hit the market.

Why?

Batteries, as far as they come are still quite limited in available power vs weight ratio. Have come a long way.. but need to go likely another hundredfold to get close.

They are far far away from being able to handle a mid-range or larger saw.. and they are too heavy for the smaller pro saws for the power they give.

You are not going to run a tree services business carrying a truckload of batteries with you, nor is your climber going to carry a dozen batteries up a tree.

IMHO.. have a long ways to go yet before it gets into the pro market.. and until it does it won't have the volume to really go far.

Face it.. it is the professional market that sustains the battery powered tools you see today. And most professionals that use them are on ground (or close to it) and close to electrical supply. These two are not typical of the professional chainsaw user in many cases.. and the chainsaw requires more power than does the average professional battery powered tool. (battery powered professional tools are for the most part replacing tools that were electrical powered.. and typically fractional horsepower tools). Chainsaws are gasoline powered and over one horsepower. The tree saws we use (when climbing or in bucket) range from 2.1hp up to 4.6hp. The ones we use on ground are typically from 4.6hp up to 7.0hp. Batteries today, and in the foreseeable future can not do the job. Oh yes.. they do power cars today -- for relatively short distances before they need engine assist.. and they are carrying hundreds of pounds of batteries.

The other item is going to be cost.. when batteries capable of this power to weight ratio do exist, their cost is likely going to be very high for some time, and sales low..

It would be nice to think it is here.. but realistically I think it is a quite a few years down the road.

Back