Bearing Buddies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 16' trailer that I use to haul fire wood has bearing buddies installed on all 4 wheels. Normally this is a very good thing except for when I want to check the brakes and bearings.

I can't figure out how to get the damn things off. According to the information on their web site, all I need to do is gently tap the bearing buddies side to side and they can be removed. Well, I started with a rubber mallet and eventually moved up to the one pound ball pein hammer & a wooden block with no luck.

Has anyone got a secret for removing bearing buddies??

hmmm

Leave that tire on the ground and put a pipe wrench on that bearing bast...uhh..buddy and PULL. If that don't work hit it with your purse. :cheers:

You have to turn it, hit it, turn it, hit it, etc. Strike on the outside edge(the one closest to you). It wouldn't hurt to spray them with Blaster or Kroil first to help break the rust. Don't use a hammer as it will damage the Buddy....use wood or rubber.

RD

A small block of wood and hammer has always worked for me. Just keep hitting one side then the opposite and work your way around. It should eventually loosen up and pop off.

Believe it or not there is a special tool for removing axle hub caps ( I have one) and it works great on BB's too. However good hard blows on outside edge on opposite sides should remove it. No twisting action need be applied.

Thanks for the information guys. I guess I'll just keep at it with the hammer/wooden block and maybe try some Kroil. Of course if all else fails I'll beat it with my purse...:ices_rofl:

I put B/B on my boat trailer, I was shocked at how tight the fit was.
It took me about 5 minutes of serious pounding with a dead blow wood
faced hammer to get them just to get them started. Then I got them
set home. Always wondered how I would get them off if I needed to....
Figured I would just keep alot of fresh marine grease in them so I wouldn't ever have to try to remove them. Like others said, smack it and then, turn, keep up the process until it begins to move, just don't hit them too hard on the outside edge as they tend to be kind of thin out there......Hope your successful...

Check your axle seals. My boat came with bearing buddies. The seals were so good that it built enough pressure to blow both back seals :cry:out of their seats. Then they were full of water. I still use my buddies, but only for a grease reservoir, I don't put grease in from the outside.

Back