Beating wedges vs. Chainsaw splitting - tough rounds???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took the 12# maul (I just recieved as a gift) and drove some wedges through some big knotty 20"+ ash tonight.

Just because I never gave it a good try last time.

The 12# maul makes a much better sledge than the 8# sledge I used last time.
Just picking it up 2 feet and dropping it on the wedge worked pretty well.

Last time I was swinging the 8# sledge pretty hard to get the same work done.

There was a certain satisfaction when the big gnarly ones would finally crack open.

I am not enjoying the big maul for splitting, but I'll give it a few more tries.

I have been using the Fiscars 4# axe lately. It is light and fast with the short handle. It's also nice having a sharp tool when you need to do a bit of trimming.
I would like to try the 6.5# version, but haven't seen it in a store yet.

If you come to the GTG on the 10th you can try out the 6.5# version that I have and then you'll know if ya want to buy it:D
I'm sure jonseredsjonny will have his 4# with too!

I don't think it will work....but the cutters I know will cut a 6" tree down very fast.

Yea, I don't think our spreader would spread wide enough for that application, Im sure if it did, it would work, (not real fast albeit)

The cutters . . . yea wow, I sheared a steering column out of a pickup with it once, incredible.

Like you said, it'd take to long to use the cutters, though they'd make it thru, if you had the time. But then you have to put away all that hyd. hose. Just grab the rescue saw and leave the cutters for metal.

Hello all,
I am still pretty new to the firewood game.
I do have about 15+ cords under my belt though.

I tried a wedge and sledge on some knotty stuff one day, and it sucked and seems dangerous.

My routine has become:
split everything I can with the splitting axe
the rounds that are too tough get thrown aside
then I rip them down the middle with the saw when I'm done, and they can usually be split from that point with the axe.

Any reason some people want to beat the crap out of a wedge?

Granted it doesn't make a mess like the saw does.
the metal flakes that fly off the edges can be super dangerous
the are like bullets and can bury themselves into you flesh possibly
severing a femoral artery .They are a surgeons nightmare

You got that right!!!

I tried a few with my 026. Good thing the vibration kept me awake, or I would have taken a nap on a 25" Red Oak Round. It didn't even have any knots.

With the 441 it is entirely a different story. It is making quick work of the 25" plus White oak rounds I have been working on the last couple of days. There are some pics on this thread...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=53919

I once thought the MS361/20" was a fast noodler...then I got the 441 and put a 20" for noodling. WOW!! Then I put a sprocket cover without the chain catcher on. Double WOW as the noodle didn't plug up as much.

Back