Testing the $65 Halder Steel Splitting Wedge- Made in Germany

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My twist wedges are £6 each.
My wedges are 3 to 5 pounds each - yours are heavier!

Funny though, we have a large distributor (Northern Tool) which carries the Roughneck line (I thought that it was their brand), but not the twist wedge. In fact, on Google, I can only find the Roughneck Twist Wedge in the UK! I can find a STIHL (0000-881-2221) version; I can find a Forrester version; one that looks similar up in Canada (Lee Valley Tools); a Husqvarna version (again in the UK). But they do not seem to be widely available here in the US.

( because now I want to try one!)

Philbert

My wedges are 3 to 5 pounds each - yours are heavier!

Funny though, we have a large distributor (Northern Tool) which carries the Roughneck line (I thought that it was their brand), but not the twist wedge. In fact, on Google, I can only find the Roughneck Twist Wedge in the UK! I can find a STIHL (0000-881-2221) version; I can find a Forrester version; one that looks similar up in Canada (Lee Valley Tools); a Husqvarna version (again in the UK). But they do not seem to be widely available here in the US.

( because now I want to try one!)

Philbert
I put a link to this in my video description. I haven't seen many US companies selling these.

Good review but I wonder why you couldn't split those little rounds with your maul. I'd like to see the wedge splitting some 30+" rounds.
Thanks, my entire wood pile is from utility cutting. They didn't have many big rounds and the ones they did were cut thin, for the homeowners to be able to handle easier. I may compare this one to the Estwing Super Split and the Ochsenkopf aluminum twisted wedge. I'll wait till I get some big rounds for that.

That could be it although not sure it's the same, mine are black and look slightly different but may just be the colour. I'll get some photos with something for size.

Good Lord I can't imagine using a maul and splitting wedge. Those rounds look like they would pop pretty easy with a Fiskars X27 or certainly with the Fiskars Isocore 8# in 1/4 the time.

I just came across this thread, since I was trawling through google for any comments on the Halder splitting wedge, and I found a negative review from somebody that clearly did not know much about processing firewood with hand tools. As I own one, and have been using it for the past three years, let me add my 'two cents worth'. At 6.75 pounds it is the heaviest of the 12 wedges that I have (collected over the years). It works very well on the biggest, toughest rounds. But to make the best use of it, a big sledge hammer, swung with purpose is also required to drive it into the wood. Halder themselves recommend that one of their own mauls, with a plastic head is used on the wedge. In my opinion the maul in question is way too light to make the best use of what this heavy duty wedge can accomplish. I use a 16 pound sledge, and I need the weight to drive through the really tough stuff. Of course, very often, a second wedge and occasionally a third one might be required to get a good 'split' opened up fully. The only downside that I have found with this wedge is the wide bevel on the edge. This makes it difficult to get it set into the round initially. However, time spent with a file to narrow the bevel is well worth the effort to remedy this issue. Overall, out of the box, I give it a 4 out of 5.

A few years back scrap metal sky rocketed and I took all my old wedges and maul heads and turned them into cash. No disrespect to all of you hard working guys, but four generation in the tree business, 66 years old, and selling 15-20 cord a year for side money, I’ll take a 100CC saw with a 20-24 inch bar and noodle a round faster than I could find a sledge. Today I took ten buckets full of noodles on my loader down to the burn pile.

I just came across this thread, since I was trawling through google for any comments on the Halder splitting wedge, and I found a negative review from somebody that clearly did not know much about processing firewood with hand tools. As I own one, and have been using it for the past three years, let me add my 'two cents worth'. At 6.75 pounds it is the heaviest of the 12 wedges that I have (collected over the years). It works very well on the biggest, toughest rounds. But to make the best use of it, a big sledge hammer, swung with purpose is also required to drive it into the wood. Halder themselves recommend that one of their own mauls, with a plastic head is used on the wedge. In my opinion the maul in question is way too light to make the best use of what this heavy duty wedge can accomplish. I use a 16 pound sledge, and I need the weight to drive through the really tough stuff. Of course, very often, a second wedge and occasionally a third one might be required to get a good 'split' opened up fully. The only downside that I have found with this wedge is the wide bevel on the edge. This makes it difficult to get it set into the round initially. However, time spent with a file to narrow the bevel is well worth the effort to remedy this issue. Overall, out of the box, I give it a 4 out of 5.
Welcome back. I see you stop in now and then. My daughter has friends in Ireland and she flys over for St Patty’s day every other year or so. I live close to the Guinness Pub in Maryland. My daughter knew I liked Guinness. When she got home from her first trip she said, Dad, you really have to go to Ireland, the Guinness is so much better than in the States. Some day I’ll make it. For now, I’ve got a Guinness Stout in my hand. God Bless.

Welcome back. I see you stop in now and then. My daughter has friends in Ireland and she flys over for St Patty’s day every other year or so. I live close to the Guinness Pub in Maryland. My daughter knew I liked Guinness. When she got home from her first trip she said, Dad, you really have to go to Ireland, the Guinness is so much better than in the States. Some day I’ll make it. For now, I’ve got a Guinness Stout in my hand. God Bless.

Latest posts

Back