Beautiful Topping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikewhite85

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
You wouldn't believe the topping that goes on in SoCal. I moved from CT about 18 months ago was pretty shocked at what I saw. There is so much of it that your average customer thinks it is proper pruning practice. Most of the trees I remove are a result of this butchering. Tree companies even advertise it. The pictures on this craigslist ad are UNBELIEVABLE!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/sks/1521094052.html

Not pretty. Glad to know he has had a license since 1997. Wonder if it's a dog license or drivers license. If his driving is anything like his tree cutting it must be a dog license.:jawdrop:

CRAP!!!!!:jawdrop:

Why don't they advertise tree ringing and Kitten drowning as a service on the side?

I ain't a tree hugger by any means and hate the envirowhackos, but out there they have major pull. See if ya can talk to a couple of them to get the word out that folks are paying to make trees suffer like flies with thier wings pulled off.

If folks are gonna do that to a tree, why don't they just cut the thing down?
I don't get it?

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Although pollarding is considered to be so wrong, why do we still see professionals doing it? Why do guys like this one in the ad think that this is OK?

That's not pollarding. Pollarding in itself is not wrong. It's when clowns like this one do topping and then call it pollarding that it gets its bad name. Sadly almost all of the so called 'pollards' you see are in fact toppings.

In the guys defense, at least his advertising can't be called misleading! :jester:

Why don't they advertise tree ringing and Kitten drowning as a service on the side?

Wow.

You know, I've actually been driving past a recent topping on my way to work that doesn't look half bad. It still bothers me, but after seeing these pictures it looks like a work of a Renaissance master. Seriously, both of those trees looked so much better before. And the first tree's after/during picture? Blurry? Guy with loppers? No definable shape left to the tree. Kind of looks like the tree just withstood a hurricane.

Anybody want to call his number and try to educate him?

Wow.

I never understood pollarding, so I started to look it up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it really started in old Europe where they were harvesting the branches off the tree as a crop. They could keep harvesting closer to the ground, and the removal of branches encouraged new epicormic growth or something, which was reharvested a few years later. Much higher yield than cutting down the whole tree and waiting for it to regrow from seed. It wasn't for looks or the health of the tree. Somehow it became associated with formal landscaping on old estates, maybe because proper pollarding needs to be maintained every couple of years so only the rich could afford it?

I doubt it is used that way much any more, so what is the purpose of pollarding in modern times? People just want short, bushy trees with a big tumor at the top of the trunk? And then of course like EdenT says, pollarding becomes confused with topping which has absolutely no redeeming values.

The fourth pic, the tree that looks an ash, it almost appears as though he's making an attempt at a remedial trim of an old hatrack...but theres def. some hackery goin on there.

Pollarding MAY have a place in an arborists bag of tricks but it would be a rare job that ticks all the boxes.

1. You need the right tree species. Preferably deciduous, good compartmentalizer, rapid grower.

2. You must start EARLY. Pollarding a mature tree is topping spelled incorrectly.

3. You must return EVERY year and prune ALL growth above the pollard heads.

4. You must be able to stand the site of horribly mutilated trees.

Number 4 is not a joke. Pollarded trees look like the elephant man. Grotesque and worthy of pity. :cry:

I am not a tree hugger either. I just hate to see bad work passed off as "professional".

By the way, JPS should edit that clowns listing and correct all his spelling and grammar mistakes.

You wouldn't believe the topping that goes on in SoCal. I moved from CT about 18 months ago was pretty shocked at what I saw. There is so much of it that your average customer thinks it is proper pruning practice. Most of the trees I remove are a result of this butchering. Tree companies even advertise it. The pictures on this craigslist ad are UNBELIEVABLE!

Hey mike: what part of CT you from??

I have never seen much topping/hatracking in my area, litchfield county...until recently. theres this one guy running around doing roundovers (sort of like a light hatrack/shaping) and straight up racking (he cut these two sugar maples in half like a laser went across em). It really stands out where he's been thats for sure. The strange thing is he's actually licensed! I guess I have had people ask me for things like this over the years and declined, but it almost seems like he's gotta be selling this "service". I have to think to myself: now here's a real hacker, he goes about this knowing fully that he's destroying these peoples tree. hmmm...

So I look at the ctpa website and I see where you can download the form to turn in unlicensed guys doing arborist work...but what about this :censored: head?? They should really have a form that you can download called something like "turn in a licensed hacker form". Makes me wonder if its even worth going for the license. Its been my expierience that most of the guys that finally got licensed just went about doing whatever hackery they were doing before anyway......

Rant over, sorry guys. :angry2:

Last edited:
So sad to see that going on in California. I was under the impression y'all out there on the left coast were tree huggin' lib lovers. Thought they'd know better.

Hey mike: what part of CT you from??

I have never seen much topping/hatracking in my area, litchfield county...until recently. theres this one guy running around doing roundovers (sort of like a light hatrack/shaping) and straight up racking (he cut these two sugar maples in half like a laser went across em). It really stands out where he's been thats for sure. The strange thing is he's actually licensed! I guess I have had people ask me for things like this over the years and declined, but it almost seems like he's gotta be selling this "service". I have to think to myself: now here's a real hacker, he goes about this knowing fully that he's destroying these peoples tree. hmmm...

So I look at the ctpa website and I see where you can download the form to turn in unlicensed guys doing arborist work...but what about this :censored: head?? They should really have a form that you can download called something like a "turn in a licensed hacker form". Makes me wonder if its even worth going for the license. Its been my expierience that most of the guys that finally got licensed just went aboout doing whatever hackery they were doing before anyway......

Rant over, sorry guys. :angry2:

I grew up in Brookfield and yeah, I too, rarely saw topping. Probably all the examples I noticed were from homeowners on immature trees. I wonder what that guys' reasoning is for mutilating trees despite his education. Maybe his license is illegitimate?

Although pollarding is considered to be so wrong, why do we still see professionals doing it? Why do guys like this one in the ad think that this is OK?

Out here it is very common and even many licensed tree services advertise topping. I see it practiced on mature trees in even large commercial shopping centers like Walmart and many apartment buildings. My conjectured reasons for this are as follows:

1. The vast majority of tree trimmers in Los Angeles appear to be first generation immigrants from Mexico and Central America who are trying to support their families. Most of these guys have landscaping routes (though they are called "gardeners" around here, not landscapers) and do tree work for their clients. They have little or no education in the field and, because topping is so common, assume that it is proper pruning etiquette. Most of them drive beat up pick-ups with plywood sides and are extremely cheap because they have so little overhead. It is very difficult to compete with them. In some sense, I don't blame them because they are trying to support their families, whom in some cases, they haven't seen in years. My heart goes out to these guys.

2. Because these gardeners do so much topping, your average clients assume that topping is acceptable and even a recommended practice. Many of my clients request topping and even after I educate them on how horrible it is for trees they still want it done. Usually I recommend removal after a tree has been severely topped (and many are SEVERELY topped. It's unbelievable the things people pay for. There is a Chinese elm near my house that has stubs that are probably 10 inches in diameter. The person who performed this mutilation left no leaves on the tree- but did leave spur marks!). However, most homeowners don't want to pay for removal so they hire someone else to top it again- and end up paying more in the long run.

3. In CA, there are 2 classes of contractors licenses, the C class and the D class. The C class license (such as plumbing, electrical, excavation, etc) requires two exams: a law exam (detailing how to run a business, proper tax etiquette, and contractors laws) and an exam that tests knowledge on ones trade. The "Tree Service License," however, is a D class license and ONLY tests on law, not trade. This is because the state board assumes that because tree work is so specific, contractors should be able to learn their trade without a trade exam. As a result of this I see even large licensed companies with beautiful trucks and chippers mutilating trees everywhere. Believe it or not I even saw guys from Davey topping liquidambars and jacarandas under utility lines. Leaving them the benefit of the doubt, however, this may have been the cities' directive rather than Davey's recommendation.

Ultimately what SoCal needs is education, not just for those working in the trade but for homeowners as well.

Last edited:
Its a legitimate license mike, I looked it up.

Seems as though he's using the license to create a market for hatracking is all I can think. :confused:

Oh well, the repo man just called wondering if I know where some of another one of these hackers equipment is, seems they already towed off some of it. Score 1 for the treegods! Whoohoo! :laugh:

But alas...another one pops up to take his place. This one is on craiglist right now proclaiming himself to be "Connecticut's leading tree service" - with no license! He cant even sell firewood without :censored:ing off his customers!

I love treework, but it gets old sometimes, it really does.

That's just ugly! Nice Ball cap on the dude! At least he's tied in to the tree, at first I thought it was the ladder brigade!:greenchainsaw:

Here is what pollarding is suposed to look like!
southern France, I couldn't locate the ones in Amsterdam,they may be pre digital camera.

One is the results and the other two are how you get there.

Latest posts

Back